Carbs popping

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Troutman

Carbs popping

Post by Troutman »

Not sure why this is but took the bike for a run this morning and sometimes I was getting the odd pop and misfire from the carbs.
I say the carbs because that's where it seemed to be coming from. It was worse when doing 30mph for a stretch but only popped say 3 times in as many minutes.
When it was moving faster, no problems.
Do they need balancing or might it be an air leak.?
popkat

Re: Carbs popping

Post by popkat »

Carb fart, perfectly normal, also known as character :wink: Is your bike standard or modded ?, mine does it a lot and splutters/jerks around 2.5-3.5k rpm for about the first 5 miles unless I leave the choke just a little bit out, after that it's fine. must get in and adjust the pilot screws at some point as I think maybe it's my end cans upsetting things a little.

Balancing the carbs won't make it worse so definitely worth doing, some will say tps adjustment may help but tbh I don't think you'll notice much, worth checking for air leaks esp if you've had the airbox off recently (are all hoses on properly)
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yes any leaks in the intake or exhaust system will cause this as it upsets the mixture and pressure differentials. More so on the intake side with carb farts than exhaust. I'm not sure normal is the right word but it's very common on these bikes because of their sensitive tuning, which ultimately is what it comes down to.

First thing you should check that there are no leaks anywhere. Check the intake rubbers under the carbs, any exhaust leaks/blowing around seals etc. What's the air filter like, is it clean and have you got the blanking plugs and fitters in the corners of the airbox. A carb balance and adjusting the TPS helps. Or you may also need to look at your carb set up and richen things up a tad. A lean mix can cause some spitting through the carbs.

Have you tried what Popkat has done and pulled the choke out slightly (Very slightly!!) to see if this helps alleviate things. The choke is an enricher so as you pull the choke you add more fuel. You can use this to judge whether your lean or rich.

What's your current set up. What exhaust have you got, have you got an aftermarket filter or OM. Any other mods.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Bike is totally standard as far as I know.
Standard pipes but the bloke I bought it off listed a par of "FUEL" cans just after I took the bike and after I asked him in his garage "Is there any extras to go with the bike, seat cowl, rack, exhausts..that sort of thing" "No..that's it" he replied
It may have been re-jetted for these!
When I do the manual CCT's , I'll get in and have a good look at the pipes etc.

It's not bothering me, just it hasn't happened before. This might sound daft and most likely is but it is really windy up here today, could riding through an area of vacuum cause this? :?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Doing the CCT's is a chance to take the carbs off, get the front vacuum take off fitted if not allready. This makes it more covenant for doing a carb balance. You can also check everything over. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18430
This might sound daft and most likely is but it is really windy up here today, could riding through an area of vacuum cause this? :?
Not daft at all. Temperature and air pressure has an effect. Engines breathe just like we do and can suffer from weather conditions. Cold air is more dense so there is a slightly higher air to fuel ratio that can make things run a little lean. Was the engine warmed up to full operating temp. All these things make a difference.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
monga

Post by monga »

I had a dynojet kit that didn't work for me.Lot of fuel consumption and problems starting cold engine. When I was back to stock problems again. I have devil exaust system but before dynojets everything was fine. After the nightmare started. I can't find a decent service center in Athens neither honda authorised service can help and my bike has only 2796 miles. So I live with these, and looking for someone to fix it. After 3000 rpm no problems at all. In conclusion I believe that you should get it serviced to someone who really can to avoid situations like mine.
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

Yo Troutman, could you "feel" the poping through the tank? as if on of the cylinders wasnt firing? This then leads to a very short loss of power from the engine...... :think:
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning