jf you had money to spend on your bike

General Bike chat
lloydie

Re: jf you had money to spend on your bike

Post by lloydie »

gl_s_r wrote:iirc I read somewhere in another thread in which thumper said they are not proper Ohlins.. That they are kind of dodgy fake Ohlins on a lot of the Aprilia's and not the full sha bang so would you like the chance to change your list?

I'm Pretty happy with the road bike so not going to spend any money on that one.. think I just want a nice set of wheels and maybe forks/rear shock for the next build.. The change I would spend on learning how to ride the bike properly.. is that allowed?
I've read that too but the rsv lot Seem to think other wise !! And I don't think ohlins would put there name on them If there knock off !!
But I don't have 5k to spend anyway lol :(
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

but the rsv lot Seem to think other wise
Well they would say that wouldn't they. :lol: :lol: but I agree Ohlins would not put their name to rubbish. They may not be as advanced as OHlins Ohlins and there may be something missing to reduce costs, but this does not make them crap.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I can see an ohlins label :)
And I think they're the muts nuts :)
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Actually, since I have some connections with Ohlins, I can perhaps give you the truth too it? (at least according to what I have been told...)

They are proper Ohlins, really... But they are the most basic versions of the range in most cases (some versions are not), and they are in fact manufactured by a licensed subcontractor directly for Aprilia/Ohlins, and not on Ohlins normal production lines... But the quality and finish should be exactly the same really, since it's Ohlins overseeing it, responsible for the quality control...

So really, they should be on par with the basic version of the normal Ohlins range... But made for OEM production, by OEM lines... Simples...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Thanks for clearing that up :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

They were owned by Yamaha for a period of time as well if I remember right. The XJR1300 sprouted Ohlins tackle during that time I think. :think:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Tweety wrote:Actually, since I have some connections with Ohlins, I can perhaps give you the truth too it? (at least according to what I have been told...)

They are proper Ohlins, really... But they are the most basic versions of the range in most cases (some versions are not), and they are in fact manufactured by a licensed subcontractor directly for Aprilia/Ohlins, and not on Ohlins normal production lines... But the quality and finish should be exactly the same really, since it's Ohlins overseeing it, responsible for the quality control...

So really, they should be on par with the basic version of the normal Ohlins range... But made for OEM production, by OEM lines... Simples...
Very interesting,

Chris.
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Carbon fibre wheels. Big acceleration gain and overall weight loss :)
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

alternative_vtr wrote:Carbon fibre wheels. Big acceleration gain and overall weight loss :)
And completely useless on the road :(

I think I'd change my ohlins to 08 blade front end and spend the rest on a full moriwaki exhaust system
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I would just buy a different bike. :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Let's see..... an aluminum subframe and fairing stay, a set of Keihin FCR carbs (with TPS), a Ti rear axle, possible a JMB (?) custom swingarm, a Braketech full floating rear disc, Mario Nava carbon bodywork, ETI carbon fuel cell, and possibly a set of custom Braketech 320mm front rotors..... a Yamamoto 2-1 Ti exhaust..... not much else left to do.........
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

mik_str wrote:Let's see..... an aluminum subframe and fairing stay, a set of Keihin FCR carbs (with TPS), a Ti rear axle, possible a JMB (?) custom swingarm, a Braketech full floating rear disc, Mario Nava carbon bodywork, ETI carbon fuel cell, and possibly a set of custom Braketech 320mm front rotors..... a Yamamoto 2-1 Ti exhaust..... not much else left to do.........
That's a bit more than 5k lol
koko

Post by koko »

22 litre fuel tank,oz wheels,ohlins,quickshifter,engine mods,paint job etc.
NOT SO MEAN,NOT SO LEAN,EX-MAROON MACHINE!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

lloydie wrote:
mik_str wrote:Let's see..... an aluminum subframe and fairing stay, a set of Keihin FCR carbs (with TPS), a Ti rear axle, possible a JMB (?) custom swingarm, a Braketech full floating rear disc, Mario Nava carbon bodywork, ETI carbon fuel cell, and possibly a set of custom Braketech 320mm front rotors..... a Yamamoto 2-1 Ti exhaust..... not much else left to do.........
That's a bit more than 5k lol
actually, most of the list could be had for said price (which is about $7000 CDN/US)

carbs: $2K
exhaust: $1.5K
ETI fuel cell: $1.2 K
full-floating rear rotor: $250
Ti axle: $350
Nava bodywork: $2K........
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

I would buy another Storm, a good one for about £2k, buy some one piece leathers, new helmet , boots etc and pay someone (a pro) to teach me how to ride my bike round a track.
Included in this I want to fall off to see what it's like, maybe in the wet.