Vinyl Wrap for Fairing Repair?

General Biker Banter
Mav617

Vinyl Wrap for Fairing Repair?

Post by Mav617 »

Picked up my Storm last Sunday, rode it back 220 miles and put it straight in the garage. Looking around it tonight I'm pretty happy that it's straight, runs without any suspicious noises (LOUD bloody cans though) and all the electricals work (even the daft alarm) but:

it needs some TLC. The rear fairing is pretty good, but the front fairing and the tank are covered in little scratches and look tatty. As I'm not going to get a good finish with celly paint, I wondered how vinyl wrap would work as an alternative to respraying, anyone got any feel for this? By the way it's one of the fast ones (i.e. it's black lol)
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Wicky

Re: Vinyl Wrap for Fairing Repair?

Post by Wicky »

Just starting to get into weather that's not best for spraying - slap the vinyl on and you see how it looks and wears over winter. Come the spring you can choose wether or not to peel off the vinyl and give it the proper prep & respray.

Most cellulose paint has been discontinued with water based acrylic more the norm now.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go - if it looks okay I'll put some pics up.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Put pics up if it looks pants as well :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Welcome to the superfast storm club. How deep are the scratches. You may be able to polish (t cut) them out. Wrapping a tank is not easy and jumping straight into the deep end. What are you like at wrapping parcels.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

cybercarl wrote:Welcome to the superfast storm club. How deep are the scratches. You may be able to polish (t cut) them out. Wrapping a tank is not easy and jumping straight into the deep end. What are you like at wrapping parcels.

Okay if I take my time. But looking at the Workshop I think both the alarm and the bodywork can wait until the rear suspension gets sorted - the back end hardly moves and was bouncing me out of the saddle on the M42!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If its past the squeaking stage then yup getting it sorted is top of your list!
Mav617 wrote:
cybercarl wrote:Welcome to the superfast storm club. How deep are the scratches. You may be able to polish (t cut) them out. Wrapping a tank is not easy and jumping straight into the deep end. What are you like at wrapping parcels.

Okay if I take my time. But looking at the Workshop I think both the alarm and the bodywork can wait until the rear suspension gets sorted - the back end hardly moves and was bouncing me out of the saddle on the M42!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

==============================Enter the Darkside
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

cybercarl wrote:Get the suspension linkages apart and regressed and replace any damaged bearings.
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... t=linkages

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29813

i need to do this too :|
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

Wrapping the fairing should be pretty easy as you can separate the three bits, the tank however will be a biatch! Lol, ive tried it and gave up. One of my mates wraps cars and had a go and made bit of a mess too, streched a little too much in places. Plus wrapping over decals will show the outlines. Ive fitted a bagster cover to my tank though and well chuffed with, thinks it looks real smart