Charging problem any advice?

General Bike chat
suburban guerrlla

Charging problem any advice?

Post by suburban guerrlla »

My vtr's battery went flat. The rectifier's connector block was corroded - so bad I had to cut each wire and connect them to the new rectifier individually. New rectifier bought off ebay. Chinese.
There are three yellow wires (from alternator) and the red/white (positive) and green (negative) dc outputs.
My problem is now the rectifier gets bloody hot and is not charging the battery. The bike will run on the battery ( you can start it with a jump starter) and if the alternator connector block is disconnected from the wiring loom, the rectifier stays cool. Connect the alternator and it gets very hot.
There is no problem with the wires from the alternator. The stator resistances are as they should be and there is no leak to earth.
If I have connected the yellow wires into the rectifier the wrong way around - will it do this?
What is a pain is that the only way for me to resolve this is to buy another loom as it has a rectifier connector block on it or email the rectifier and alternator connector block pictures to someone and ask which connector plate connects to which.
First though - if the yellow wires are incorrectly connected - does it matter.
lloydie

Re: Charging problem any advice?

Post by lloydie »

The three yellows can go in any order .
Sounds like the r/r is duff and your battery .
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Hopefully you've connected, soldered and sealed the replacement connector well to the existing wiring.

Slap a later genuine Honda R/R on as they're not expensive (or even better a FH marked mosfet type) - as you've found out Chinese knock offs aren't much better than the early crappy unfinned R/R.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR125R ... 27dc3706f2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VFR-750 ... 1c396f2578

and bung a decent new battery in i.e motobatt
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
suburban guerrlla

Battery is virtually new and accepts a charge normally. I cannot believe it is the battery. I shall see there is a current leak somewhere, although I cannot see how that would make the r/r get hot.
Are chinese r/r's really that bad?
suburban guerrlla

By the way I crimped the connectors on nicely to connect them onto the rectifier.
Are the two links to r/r's that will work?
popkat

Post by popkat »

what voltage are you getting with engine running ? the r/r is supposed to get hot.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
suburban guerrlla

Only 12.5 v now, it was 13.5v when I first fitted the rectifier. It gets so hot you cannot hold it eventually!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep get a real r/r the chinky ain't that good yet :-(
popkat

Post by popkat »

So it's showing just the battery voltage.
try this, step 4 is a reg/rec test.
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog ... G-&-RR.pdf

And this is one for the vtr, shows what wires you should have.
http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR69.html
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
suburban guerrlla

Thanks I shall try all that !
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

My advice would be...

1..DON'T BUY CHINESE CRAP( buy cheap chinese,buy twice)

2..Look through the worshop section as there are a few reg/recs that plug n go...cbr125 and varadero 125 spring to mind..my cbr reg/rec has been on 2yrs now without a fault

3..Go mosfet R1 reg/rec,there's a small amount of wiring to do but by far the mod
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I bought a cbr125 reg, plug and play and I keep a spare under the seat! :)
Jamie :wave:
suburban guerrlla

Thanks Jamie. I am now riding about with your shock and forks on the bike, plus your exhausts. The bike feels a lot heavier!
Hope you noticed some improvement in the handling with the forks, brace and shock. I noticed a change without them.
The standard VTR gearing is way too high. I have got used to riding a VTR on the road, it is quite relaxing, although I wish the electrics would work. I still have road legal race tyres on it, before it got cold you could really throw the bike about, but the suspension was a bit wobbly.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree it does sound like the rectifier is not working properly.

I agree as others have said, it doesn't matter which around the three yellow wires go.

Did you use a ratchet type crimping tool for your spade terminal connections, and not one of those cheaper crimping tools which works more like a pair of pliers :?:

With a ratchet type crimping tool you get a much better connection. A poor connection may not be helping with your problem.

You don't need that white plastic terminal block, just some heat shrink and/or some insulation tape. Also did you definitely cut the wires back far enough before fitting the new spade connectors,

Chris.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

suburban guerrlla wrote:Thanks Jamie. I am now riding about with your shock and forks on the bike, plus your exhausts. The bike feels a lot heavier!
Hope you noticed some improvement in the handling with the forks, brace and shock. I noticed a change without them.
The standard VTR gearing is way too high. I have got used to riding a VTR on the road, it is quite relaxing, although I wish the electrics would work. I still have road legal race tyres on it, before it got cold you could really throw the bike about, but the suspension was a bit wobbly.

:) I can't wait to try the new upgrades out. I found the handling ok, but the forks locked under heavy braking over bumps and I don't have much to compare to.

Hope you get the electrics sorted, I must admit, i'm terrible at bike electrics!

Cheers
Jamie :wave: