Disc Bolts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Mav617

Disc Bolts

Post by Mav617 »

Have to remove the discs to fit on the six spoke front wheel - can the bolts be re-used or is it recommended to replace these?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
rollingthunderx2

Re: Disc Bolts

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

Yes.Replace with thread lock fluid.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I've always re-used mine after cleaning them and then using thread lock
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Mav617 wrote:Have to remove the discs to fit on the six spoke front wheel - can the bolts be re-used or is it recommended to replace these?
clean, loctite and torque to correct figure.
Last edited by bigtwinthing on Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Your meant to replace them but I too reuse them and use thread lock (red)
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Re-using a couple of times is all OK, but after a couple of times it's probably better to swap them...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

I have reused mine several times. If they are loctited properly they don't need to be OVER tightened. Don't see the issue here, unless you think they would all simultaneously fail on both sides?

If one did fail it would be obvious because the head would disappear. I always have a look over my bike before I get on it and this would show up.

There are many parts that the manual says must be replaced on dissasembly, orings and gaskets etc, but most can be refitted carefully if they don't leak beforehand.

Before anyone tells us off. This is MY opinion and what I do on my bike. Take responsibility for your own maintenance. If in doubt, replace them.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

mattycoops43 wrote:I have reused mine several times. If they are loctited properly they don't need to be OVER tightened. Don't see the issue here, unless you think they would all simultaneously fail on both sides?

If one did fail it would be obvious because the head would disappear. I always have a look over my bike before I get on it and this would show up.

There are many parts that the manual says must be replaced on dissasembly, orings and gaskets etc, but most can be refitted carefully if they don't leak beforehand.

Before anyone tells us off. This is MY opinion and what I do on my bike. Take responsibility for your own maintenance. If in doubt, replace them.
Not going to tell anyone off... I totally agree that we're just discussing opinions... :wink:

The reason these are listed as replace, not re-use in the manual is that they are torqued to a rather high toque for their size, and usually stretches and get fatigued if they are re-used to many times... So, from Honda's perspective its just safe practice...

From my own perspective, I totally agree with you, use common sense... And, yeah that applies to gaskets, O-rings and the lot too... Some may be re-used, some probably shouldn't... I go by look/feel of them, and the calculated cost of repairs should they fail verses the cost of swapping them... (meaning some I just re-use over and over, and some I'm a bit more anal about...)

For these bolts, like you said, just clean the threads thoroughly from the old thread locking, and look them over for obvious damage, re-apply loctite and re-use them, torquing to the set torque, making sure to over torque them... But, I also think the price of the bolts are fairly cheap for my peace of mind, so I tend to replace them ever other set of discs or so... (Yeah, I do high mileage, and swap discs more often than most...)

And, I felt it was a good thing to mention it given the OP's question, that yes it's fine to re-use them a couple of times, but there is a reason that they are recommended to be replaced in the manual... I believe in full disclosure, then you make your own mind up if you feel it's safe, or not (not specifically limited to this subject)...
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

mattycoops43 wrote:I have reused mine several times. If they are loctited properly they don't need to be OVER tightened. Don't see the issue here, unless you think they would all simultaneously fail on both sides?

BTW, THIS ^^^ right here, is why I'm round here and not over the pond... You have a different opinion than me, and you voice it like an adult... :D Over there somebody would have told me that I'm WRONG, WRONG, and a moron... And most likely set me off after a while and it would turn into a fight...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Tweety wrote:Over there somebody would have told me that I'm WRONG, WRONG, and a moron... And most likely set me off after a while and it would turn into a fight...
You're WRONG, WRONG and a moron!

:wink: ....runs away with hands flailing above head... :lol:

I do admire people's ability to hold constructive discussion, using opinions and facts. This forum is great for that. I just wish all other people had these qualities!

I've reused my disc bolts since working on bikes, but I never knew they are a 'recommend to replace' item 8O So maybe next time they come out, i'll pop some fresh bolts in.
Jamie :wave:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jamoi wrote:
Tweety wrote:Over there somebody would have told me that I'm WRONG, WRONG, and a moron... And most likely set me off after a while and it would turn into a fight...
You're WRONG, WRONG and a moron!

:wink: ....runs away with hands flailing above head... :lol:

I do admire people's ability to hold constructive discussion, using opinions and facts. This forum is great for that. I just wish all other people had these qualities!

I've reused my disc bolts since working on bikes, but I never knew they are a 'recommend to replace' item 8O So maybe next time they come out, i'll pop some fresh bolts in.

No use running Jamie I've PM'd him your address ! :twisted:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Oh that address is just my holiday home, I permanently reside just a couple of streets away from.... THE GATES OF HELL!!! MOOHAHA

I think someone spiked my coffee this morning :crazy:

Obviously, I was only pulling your leg Tweety :lol:
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Jamoi wrote:Oh that address is just my holiday home, I permanently reside just a couple of streets away from.... THE GATES OF HELL!!! MOOHAHA

I think someone spiked my coffee this morning :crazy:

Obviously, I was only pulling your leg Tweety :lol:
And obviously, the team of assassins currently en route to your address, is just an innocent prank... No harm intended... Honest... :wink:

BTW Mac, thanks for the address... :wink:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

:lol: :lol: :clap:

What ever you do, just leave my mother out of this!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jamoi wrote::lol: :lol: :clap:

What ever you do, just leave my mother out of this!
Jamie your Mum IS one of the assassins... 8O
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...