halal meat....

General Biker Banter
callam_nffc

halal meat....

Post by callam_nffc »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 73258.html

Opinions on this?

I personally believe it belongs back in the wombles stone age along with the idiots who believe in it...
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
Jamoi

Re: halal meat....

Post by Jamoi »

It can't be nice to have your throat slashed 8O but I think it's a tricky one, trying to ban a religious practice, where do you stop without changing a religion beyond recognition?

Personally I find religion a little ridiculous and tiresome!
Jamie :wave:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Disgusting and cruel! BUT! Peoples beliefs should be respected! What sort of a world would it be if everyone was made to repress their beliefs! Surely thats dictatorship :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Nickcv

Post by Nickcv »

I couldn't agree more with the vet's statement. I'm an animal lover but accept that certain animals are bred for no other purpose than to be slaughtered for their meat. I feel halal meat puts the animals under undue stress and pain when their lives are to be ended and that slitting an animal's throat and leaving it to bleed to death is barbaric and completely unacceptable. I will add that I am a meat eater myself but feel animals have the right to be slaughtered in a humane manner that can be considered to be more acceptable.

I will also add, without the intention of causing controversy, that little respect is shown in this country by our Government to those who follow Christian faith eg: gay marriage being made legal and that similar principals should apply to other religious groups in this country who are found to be involved in what many would consider to be unacceptable barbaric practices, particularly those that involve unneccesary suffering. Personally I am not a follower of any religious faith but I do follow a set of moral principles which allow me to make my own decisions of what I consider to be right from wrong.
lloydie

halal meat....

Post by lloydie »

Not this again :-( hand bags a dawn chaps .
Believe in what you want as it's your life and your path to walk.
Personally I think religion has no place in this modem world and isn't religion a dictatorship in it self ,
Don't do this don't do that or you'll spend forever in hell !!

Yes some of the morals of religions are good to follow but being crawl to animals as we are equals in "Gods" eyes is just wrong
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The same happens to humans in some parts of the world!

Putting religion to the side. If I ate meat I would rather eat Halal meat than meat off the Supermarket shelf that has had who knows what added to it to make it look more appalling to the buyer and/or filled with water or anything else to bulk it out. Plus all the hormones and other additives added to animal feed when they are alive to make them bigger, not to mention genetics. Basically screwing with nature, adding chemicals for profit and then we eat it. And the poor farmers who do all the real hard work don't even profit out of it, well make a pittance. Personally I would rather have a dig at the greedy supermarkets for what they do to our food.

Get a chicken from your local halal butchers and a chicken from the supermarket and tell me which one tastes more like chicken. The same goes for veg. Get some odd sized bendy carrots from your local farmers market straight from the farm and and some perfectly straight similar sized carrots from the supermarket that have most likely been kept in deep freeze for a couple of years before gong on the shelf. Which one tastes more like a carrot.

What about far gra (sorry don't know how it's spelt), animals (geese) force fed/overfed through a tube down their neck straight into the stomach. That's a lot more cruel than slashing their necks or chickens kept in disgusting conditions living in all their own sh1t in a space no bigger than the bird itself. All that has nothing to do with religion.

I don't see anything different from stunning an animal or slashing their necks. Death is death either way and they wont know any different as the body will produce adrenaline with a naturally producing drug similar to morphine to trip them out and take any pain away.

All this is, is another dig at religion and humans feeling sorry for the animals. We let feeling get in the way or too many things in the world. Time to be a bit more cold hearted and it wont bother you. If you don't like animals being killed then don't eat them. Simples, except the planet will not only be overpopulated by humans but animals aswell. Argh but hold on, wouldn't one animal hunt another for food to survive. I would like to see a pack of lions pull out a knife and slash the neck on the wilderbeast. We are no different, we need food to survive. It's all nature in one form or another.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Did someone mention a dictatorship ?

El Presidente.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Did you give up meat for a certain belief or anything carl?

I dont eat much as it is, but try and ensure whatever I do eqt comes from a responsible source etc as much as possible

I couldnt give a wombles whos name its in, slitting a conscious animals throat is wrong in my opinion...

If you were to go with the argument of "if its gonna die anyway...." surely thats condoning killing it in any way you please, even bludgeoning it to death with a hammer?

I think if you are to eat any animal, you should do it as ethically as possible, after all we are supposed to have advanced from animals, therefore having some moral consciousness and not just killing stuff how you please
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I was on a course once, NEBOSH health & safety, & one of the other guys there worked in a chicken processing plant.

He told me that the live chickens were on a conveyor belt type thing that run them through a bath of warm water with a series of rubber finger protrusions, this was to calm them down & make them feel all warm & cosy...just before the point in the line that they received a stun shock & then had their heads cut off...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

callam_nffc wrote:Did you give up meat for a certain belief or anything carl?

I dont eat much as it is, but try and ensure whatever I do eqt comes from a responsible source etc as much as possible

I couldnt give a wombles whos name its in, slitting a conscious animals throat is wrong in my opinion...

If you were to go with the argument of "if its gonna die anyway...." surely thats condoning killing it in any way you please, even bludgeoning it to death with a hammer?

I think if you are to eat any animal, you should do it as ethically as possible, after all we are supposed to have advanced from animals, therefore having some moral consciousness and not just killing stuff how you please
I do that, I source all my knife & forks from ethical souces... :wink:
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote:
Get a chicken from your local halal butchers and a chicken from the supermarket and tell me which one tastes more like chicken. The same goes for veg. Get some odd sized bendy carrots from your local farmers market straight from the farm and and some perfectly straight similar sized carrots from the supermarket that have most likely been kept in deep freeze for a couple of years before gong on the shelf. Which one tastes more like a carrot.

I don't care how it tastes because I can season it and do whatever I want to it, this is why I cook stuff myself instead of those shitty frozen meals. After seasoning/marinading or whatever some meat it doesn't actually matter because that's the main taste, it's the quality of the meat that matters. And meat is meat, as long as it's not pumped full of sh1t of water I don't care.. And meat is always worth paying the extra bit for..

It's like eggs, I ALWAYS buy free-range. Sure, you can notice the difference in the quality of eggs. But I also don't want to support what is essentially cruelty to animals, I'd never lived without a pet up until I was about 16. Animals are wonderful things, doesn't matter whether it's a chicken,dog,vulture,lion.. They have a life and they deserve the same respect you'd give to other humans.

Saying that though, I do love meat, it's amazing. Couldn't live without it, but we don't eat them out of malice. It's nothing personal that they taste sooo gooooddd, it's nature. So why should we make them suffer to eat them? It's not fair on them, if I was gonna be killed I'd ask for it to be over quickly too.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

Well said virt, it may sound all hippy-drippy but I think we should all take a bit more care each day in the way we treat others/animals/the world in general...

Anyway, where did I put that peace pipe...
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Tell you what I find refreshing.. two young lads* who actually care about the welfare of animals.

Well done Virt & Callum

*is virt a lad? I'm not sure :lol:
Jamie :wave:
callam_nffc

Post by callam_nffc »

I make up for it with my dislike for a large proportion of humans :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Nice to see all the young folk getting on so well, aww bless them!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF