190 rear tyre

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Virt

Re: 190 rear tyre

Post by Virt »

lloydie wrote:Pm sent with numbers of fitting places in cov
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

I have some spare track tyres if its any help still got meat on them
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox »

Mmmm,put one on mine the tyre before the one thats on it now,
if youv'e got a load of straight line commuting carry on,
if you headin for the twisties & want to keep it nimble.......then bin it,
i couldn't wait to get the fecker off mine. :thumbup:
Virt

Post by Virt »

nt1980 wrote:I have some spare track tyres if its any help still got meat on them
Changed some priorities and getting a litte bit of help from someone to get some new tyres now, so don't worry. But thanks for the offer :thumbup:
Bluefox wrote:Mmmm,put one on mine the tyre before the one thats on it now,
if youv'e got a load of straight line commuting carry on,
if you headin for the twisties & want to keep it nimble.......then bin it,
i couldn't wait to get the fecker off mine. :thumbup:
I don't do commuting on the bike anymore, only pleasure riding :lol: Cheers for the input though, hopefully sticking PR3's on next month. Only done about 10 miles on Michelins' before, but they felt stable and they were the original PR's
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Pr' s are good from all the reviews however dame expensive!! Being honest virt are you really going to benefittinh from such a tire!!

Why wont the womble put on a used tire!! So if painted my wheels and had the tires off he wouldn't put them back on!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Don't bother with pr3 virt. A lot of people are going back to the pr2 as there just as good but a lot cheaper. I have a pair in the shed but don't need them now as the new bike has near new tyres on. They will stay there till if worn these ones out.
Virt

Post by Virt »

I want a tyre with milage ging, I do a fair few miles now even if I don't commute. These Q2's barely pushed 3000 miles. I don't want to have to replace them halfway through summer :lol:
And I'm seriously considering doing more trackdays now, I'm feeling the itch for it again. Don't want to drop the bike however but I can't afford another cheapy one, so anything grippy is helpful.

CK, there's about £15 difference between the PR2 and PR3? I was told they were much better due to all the siphon-ey/reservoir-ey things in the tyre for water displacement? It's not like we can count on a dry summer :lol:
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

first off i run Q3's at the track. amazing tire.

second for something with loads of grip but high millage get the michelin pilot POWER 3's. pilot roads are a sport touring tire and dont offer much grip.

as for the 190 tire... ive been runing a 190/55 for my last 5 or 6 sets of tires and kinda just got use to it. but now im rethinking why i ever wanted a 190 in the first place. it really makes the bike much less "flickable". the only benefit is you raise the rear so steering is a bit quicker but its kinda cancelled out by the wider surface your rolling from side to side on.

im gonna go back to 180's next time round and see if i like those better.

plus now that i have the swinger brace mod, my tire warmers dont fit around the wheel with a 190 and im hoping they will fit with a 180. but has anyone ever ran a 190/50? its a lower profile than a 180/55. wondering how it handles?
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Virt wrote:I want a tyre with milage ging, I do a fair few miles now even if I don't commute. These Q2's barely pushed 3000 miles. I don't want to have to replace them halfway through summer :lol:
And I'm seriously considering doing more trackdays now, I'm feeling the itch for it again. Don't want to drop the bike however but I can't afford another cheapy one, so anything grippy is helpful.

CK, there's about £15 difference between the PR2 and PR3? I was told they were much better due to all the siphon-ey/reservoir-ey things in the tyre for water displacement? It's not like we can count on a dry summer :lol:
Well on my SV ive got Pirelli Strada and Ive covered 3500 miles on them (which is motorway riding) and they have barely squared off! I understand my bike is lighther both in weight and power however my bro runs Maxxis Sport Touring tyres and he hasnt had any problems with them. For me a standard sports tyre is enough both daily driving and in the bends and I dont know how much a PR3 would change that.

Im not knocking them however, they would be my choice if money was no option however my Stradas are currently at M&P from £135 for the pair!! thats saving that can go to fuel, tax or lady stripper and a pint !!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Virt wrote:I don't want to have to replace them halfway through summer :lol:
And I'm seriously considering doing more trackdays now, I'm feeling the itch for it again.
Hey sweetie pie :wink: :wink:

Sounds like the PR2/3's would be perfect for you, plenty of mileage and if there's enough grip for Ali, then there's enough grip for anyone else on this forum!
Jamie :wave:
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

Jamoi wrote: if there's enough grip for Ali, then there's enough grip for anyone else on this forum!
i disagree, the PR series is a touring tire. not a performace/ hyper-sport tire. thats why i run the PP3's for street. loads of millage. still on my first set which has lasted to longer than 2-3 sets of Q3's lasted me and they still look almost new.

if you ride at decent speeds/ maximum lean angle than i wouldnt trust a touring tire. if your out for casual jaunts through the backroads than PR's are great. but if your doing any "spirited" riding than PP's are a great choice.

tires are ALWAYS a trade off between grip and longevity. some tire manufactures are better than others with using carcass compounds, construction techniques and tire profile to enhance the amount of grip and "feel" while also optimizing millage. but regardless the more grip, the less millage.

whats important for street riding is that you really cant get speeds/lean angles (safely and sanely) to justify hyper-sport tires.

as for the track i wouldnt use anything other than a Q2/3 or equivalent as speeds, lean angles, and braking are all much more aggressive.

just my 2 cents tho 8)
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

What ever works for you man. The PP's sound good
Jamie :wave:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have tried the PP and the PR both Dual Compound and I am often accused of riding "at decent speeds/ maximum lean angle" :D and for road only riding I get as much feel and grip in the dry from the PRs as I did from the PP's, with the bonus that the PR was better in the wet and also on dry but colder days.

If I did track days and was getting them much hotter then I would consider the PP as an option.........but once I got over the emotional barrier that they were classed as Sports Touring tyres and I think I am a Sports Rider, I have to say they are the best general tyre I have used.
AMcQ