not starting today

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scoobie_sore_paws

not starting today

Post by scoobie_sore_paws »

well first time since I had her she won't start today. Turns over and had a couple of the usual bangs which then usually means she will fire up next try but no joy.

Think battery is ok but having a wee charge to see if it is that. starter motor bolt and connectors are fine and are well greased so don't think it is that.

Turns a few times each try but less and less each time. Have a motobatt mbtx16u battery which has more oomph and has always started after a few tries even in sub zero. Did notice was a bit sluggish to start when had been out the other day and dropped into bike shop, but thought might just have got cold standing.

Anything else to look out for? Reg/rec looks ok and is not a standard shite one so any ideas welcome :)

Bloody typical as was planning on long run on Sunday too :evil:
VTRDark

Re: not starting today

Post by VTRDark »

Empty tank :lol: I jest but it has been known. Still worth checking the RR with a multimeter as you can't tell from looking. Also check you have a good earth and also that there is not a loose battery terminal. She's turning over you say but is that slowly or normal speed?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Check lower starter cable connection to the starter motor. It corrodes and then insufficient amps flow.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
darkember

Post by darkember »

tony.mon wrote:Check lower starter cable connection to the starter motor. It corrodes and then insufficient amps flow.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

99% this will be your issue
scoobie_sore_paws

Have checked cable and seems OK. Put new plugs in and she started after a fair bit o turning over.
Took her for a run, got fuel, started again no worries. Got home after about 50 miles bike felt smoother so thought hey sorted. Parked up, opened garage and bike refused to restart. Turned over once or twice and then nothing. Very confused as should have started when hot!!!
Will get a battery checker tomorrow but could it be alternator? Would reg/rec cause it?
HELP!!!!!!!!
scoobie_sore_paws

darkember wrote:
tony.mon wrote:Check lower starter cable connection to the starter motor. It corrodes and then insufficient amps flow.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

99% this will be your issue
Looked OK but under a layer of grease so will look again tomorrow. Think I saw the run and no start on here just the other day will look again
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

The first thing to check is the voltage from the R\R as it sounds like it is bad.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
scoobie_sore_paws

8541Hawk wrote:The first thing to check is the voltage from the R\R as it sounds like it is bad.
OK will do. Any idea what it should read?
fiero

Post by fiero »

even am facing a similar issue

my vtr starts like a charm during cold starts, yesterday on my ride stopped twice for a break first after 14km's and second after 60km's.
both this time the bike refused to start, when i hit the start button all the lights (neutral,side stand) went off and came back again, when i again tried nothing happened not even a little crank.
am sure battery is alirght, would this be because of the rectifier or some connector issue for the start button
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Check that the terminal connections are clean and tight on the battery as they can vibrate loose.

If your R/R is like this junk ASAP for a later finned version or even better a MOSFET type.

Check the starter terminal connection under the rubber hood for corrosion.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

fiero if you have a multimeter then there is a troubleshooting guide here.

fiero

Post by fiero »

cybercarl wrote:fiero if you have a multimeter then there is a troubleshooting guide here.

Wicky wrote:Check that the terminal connections are clean and tight on the battery as they can vibrate loose.

If your R/R is like this junk ASAP for a later finned version or even better a MOSFET type.

Check the starter terminal connection under the rubber hood for corrosion.
Sure Guys Will Check it out this weekend
fiero

Post by fiero »

cybercarl wrote:fiero if you have a multimeter then there is a troubleshooting guide here.

checked the started terminal no rust on them, rectifier is finned type (sh691-12).
battery earth terminal i felt bit loose and the bike has ytx9-bs yuasa battery.

dnt have a multimeter so dint have chance to check the health of the battery, today my dad would take to the dealer to check it & charge if require it.
fiero

Post by fiero »

the issue was with the loosen earth screw to the battery.
after tightening it had no issues in the whole 280Kms drive :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nice simple fix then. :thumbup: