chain lube

General Bike chat
lloydie

Re: chain lube

Post by lloydie »

agentpineapple wrote:
lloydie wrote:I like penetration !!!
I use old engine oil in my scottoiler ! Yes it makes a mess but it's free lube :-)
wheres my pint for the scottoiler.... :lol:
and I will not accept a pint of old engine oil..... :lol:
A pint of man fat on it's way :-)
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

cybercarl wrote:I usually use the Muc off PTFE stuff but I'm going to try and save some pennys and start using WD40. I read an interesting article recently where they compared chain life on O ring chains using chain lube and WD and the chain done just as well on WD...... and it kept it clean.

It's personal preference, there are many flavours out there to choose from.

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

(:-})

cheers carl

the long lube spray grease is very very good for sticking :thumbup: (and bubbles and fizzies when put on)
but one tiny flick and your sponge is black :thumbdown:
this is it

http://www.reca-uk.com/recauk/resources ... 575350.pdf
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Mmm interesting sounds a bit heavy duty if it sticks to a sponge when wiped. I expect it attracts a lot of road grime too. I wonder if it contains baking soda if it fizzes :lol:

Here's another WD experiment I've found.
WD40experiment.pdf (359 KB)

==============================Enter the Darkside
Beleif

Post by Beleif »

I'm thinking about a scottoiler now, but at the moment it's something from Halfords I'm using.

How many drips a minute on your scottoiler? I recall having one years ago on my gsxr, but I think it was a bit messy.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

but I think it was a bit messy.
That's one of the things that puts me off them. They are not good for clean tidy bikes, but ideal for bikes that tour or ride all year around in all weathers where the owner does not particularly care about having an immaculately clean looking bike or being tied into their products.

It's getting the drip rate which is the problem as this would change depending on conditions., which Scottoiler have tried to get around by introducing that expensive version with the digital control on the bar for changing the rate. Your also tied in to purchasing the scotoil for it which is a con in itself. Yes you could use alternative oils as some do but they then have a tendency to clog up which then changes the flow/drip rate. IMO The loobman would be a better option considering the price, but you have to remember to manually squeeze the bottle.

It don't help when we have no main stand as it's a faff to oil the chains on these bikes. I usually get someone to tip the bike over onto it's sidestand, I can then spin the wheel and spray the chain with some lube. Tip for you.. don't spray directly onto the chain at the rear sprocket or it gets cacked in crap along with the wheel. Stick the straw through the sprocket cover and onto the front sprocket so over spray hides away in there.

One thing a lot of people either forget or are too lazy including myself (lazy in my case) is that when you lube your chain it should then be coated in chain wax which keeps the oil in and stops it from flicking off. So spray on lubes can be quite efficient when applied properly.

==============================Enter the Darkside