Swinger brace, my way?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
NZSpokes

Swinger brace, my way?

Post by NZSpokes »

So I want to brace my swing arm. But I dont want a CBR one. I would like to make something smaller like a Mori swingarm. But try to make it as solid as possible as in no holes or minimal, chain has to go somewhere. Would like to try to make it look more factory race bike.

I have a sheet of 4mm alloy. Well to be fair its an old road sign. So my plan is to make a card board one then use it as a template for and alloy one. If im cleaver I could build a hugger into it as well.

Stay tuned, this will take months. It takes me a while to stuff things up. :thumbup:
lloydie

Re: Swinger brace, my way?

Post by lloydie »

Sounds interesting and good luck with it , keep is updated
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Like the sound of this & the recycling of a road sign :clap:
Jamie :wave:
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Will post pics tomorrow.

Of the sign.
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

sounds cool. post lots of pictures!
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Must be an old road sign as most are made of glass fiber these days
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

im just wondering if 4mm thick is enough to do much really.

im thinking your talking about this style Mori brace?

if i was you and wanted to do something a little different, id go with an underslung brace. it was done by a company called JMC but was expensive so you dont see many of them.

ORRR you could get really wild and fab up a double braced swinger as such

High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Jscobey wrote:im just wondering if 4mm thick is enough to do much really.
Remember that the stock swinger is about 6mm thick. I will be adding a plate to the top of it which will be up to 120mm high. That will be very hard to bend. All we are trying to do is stiffen a structure that is already strong.
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

NZSpokes wrote:
Jscobey wrote:im just wondering if 4mm thick is enough to do much really.
Remember that the stock swinger is about 6mm thick. I will be adding a plate to the top of it which will be up to 120mm high. That will be very hard to bend. All we are trying to do is stiffen a structure that is already strong.

ahh but 6mm X 2 walls and boxed in by another 6mm on top and bottom.

if you look at the mori swinger i posted, its a big box section in front and almost a very short CBR type brace plated in around the legs.

i will say its a very cool idea and id like to see it happen. i guess it depends on how rigid your going for. even the CBR brace doesnt make the swingarm that stiff.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Well it has to work. Not just look pretty. I do struggle to think the CBR brace is that effective, yes far better than stock but not ideal.

This will be a slow project as it has dawned on me that I need to get my KDX200 project going and my Hyosung GT650 track bike going. :sad2
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

I think the thing with the CBR brace, is it gives a really good amount of rigidity based on the relative stiffness of the rest of the chassis. That and the fact that it fits so perfectly on the VTR swinger is what makes it so popular.

I think more is only needed when things like USD forks and a braced frame are added.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Jscobey wrote:I think the thing with the CBR brace, is it gives a really good amount of rigidity based on the relative stiffness of the rest of the chassis. That and the fact that it fits so perfectly on the VTR swinger is what makes it so popular.

I think more is only needed when things like USD forks and a braced frame are added.
i obviously don't ride anything like hard enough! the only thing thats twitchy with my riding is my butt!( and crap peripheral vision) :lol:

I do admire you speed freaks though.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Jscobey wrote:I think the thing with the CBR brace, is it gives a really good amount of rigidity based on the relative stiffness of the rest of the chassis. That and the fact that it fits so perfectly on the VTR swinger is what makes it so popular.

i will be bracing my stock forks as well. I doubt i will be doing a fork change on it.

Cant wait to get started on this.