Bike written off, what now?

General Bike chat
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

So back in June I took the Vtr out for the first time in almost a year, due to buying a house and what not I sort of lost interest in biking for a while!

Anywho on the way back from my 300 mile round trip, just 2 miles from home some useless woman decided not to look and drove into the side of me, luckily there was a parked car to the side of me so I ended up bouncing into that and wobbling down the road upright! lol

On inspection both Harris Rearsets are bent, however repairable with some heat, left front fairing has a huge crack in it, end can a little scrape too! I sorta played it up to the insurance company and the bikes just been put down as a Cat D today, theyve offered me £1600 for it, good value or bad?

Its on a 98 plate, black with 24k on the clock, prior to the bump it was in mint condition?

SO now im in 2 minds on what to do next, im leaning towards buying the bike back, stripping all the goodies off it and selling up to pay off some debts from the new house!

So im looking for some value on the bits I have,
Fully adjustable Penske shock, just rebuilt by Penske themselves
Coerce fork brace
Harrison Billet 6 pot caliper, fully stripped and rebuilt with all new seals last year
Brembo 19x20 M/C
Harris rearsets, however bent a bit

Then theres the bike, with all that stuff going back to original, it'll still have the following:
Powerbronze screen
Front and rear HEL lines
Carbon Fibre frame protectors
Braced swingarm
Carbon Fibre hugger, slightly damaged
Billet fuel cap
Forks stripped and rebuilt by Roger
Most fixings now stainless
Flush rear undertray, however Ill throw in the original as its a bit naughty with the numberplate! lol
T&T untill next year, same owner for 5 years now!

What do you think?

StuartWags

Re: Bike written off, what now?

Post by StuartWags »

You are quids in with what ever you do. Have you got a buy back price, they usually go for peanuts?

I would buy it back. That way you with have the best part of £1600 and a bike that don't need much doing to it
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Take the offer, insist on keeping the salvage (you may have a fight on your hands, I did but won out in the end...)

Don't forget that your excess & the cost of salvage will come off that offer price. IIRC the salvage price for mine was £75... 8O

If you break it up you will make money in the long run but may also be left with a pile of bits... It's the big things like complete engine that take time to go & if you start stripping bits like the casings off it makes it harder to sell the lump...

Or you could strip the juicy bits & put it back to standard & sell as a complete bike...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I would say the same, buy it back if the price is right. Sorry to hear of your off Nora, you must be gutted. Glad you're reasonably okay though.

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Sorry to hear the bikes knackered mate. Glad you're ok though.
It would probably be worth including the braced arm in the trick bits category, originals sell cheap and i'm sure someone on here would bite your hand off for it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

That's exactly what I was thinking, gonna strip what I can off the bike and sell it as semi std!

I'm waiting to see what it'll cost for me to buy it back, should find out today!

What do we thinks the bike worth after pulling those parts? Do you think I'd get close to 1k for it?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

There's a new member looking for a cheap 1k bike :-) .
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Oh and I'd be interested in a few bling parts (the carbon stuff) .
Never nice to have a off but least your ok
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

(was) such a tasty and nicely executed bike....... shame to see it get parted, but life is like that at times......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

It still sorta is, just needs some rearsets and the left fairing fixing and its as was really!

Been looking at it today, looking all sorry for itself in the garage, was giving me thoughts of chucking on a new usd front end and some Renthals, and enjoying the rest of the summer on it!

But here she is now:

And this is what theyve given me to run about on!

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

dam you lloydie, beating me to the carbon frame protectors, sorry to hear the news mate, you should be able to turn a tidy profit by buying it back and doing as the guys have said.
2nd dibs on the c/f....... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If you want the carbon frame protectors you will need to buy the complete bike without the main bling parts :biggrin
Unless Nora has a rethink of course :wink: :)

On a more serious note, it's still a shame to break this bike to a degree after all the work you put into building her.
I would have thought you'd be in the right ball park on the price there Nora,

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Glad you are ok, the bike looks pretty undamaged for a right off, it should fix up fairly easy
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

So what did you end up doing Nora :?: although I see you haven't been on here for a while,

Chris.