please help!!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
horndog

please help!!

Post by horndog »

hi everyone im new to this site and had a 2000 firestorm about 6 momths and love it, recently ive been having a few problems with the bike cutting out when slowing down coming down the gears and then having trouble starting again (slow cranking) after leaving the bike to cool down for 5 or 10 mins it manages to start again, ive cleaned the connection on the starter up and fitted a new battery but its still doing it, any ideas what the problem could be? thanks in advance for any help, phil
darkember

Re: i'm new to this site

Post by darkember »

Hi there Horndog and welcome to the madhouse,

So you have cleaned the connector to the starter motor good start to eliminate the major issue with poor starting. You have also fitted a new battery now here you need to be aware that the reg rectifiers on the older models which are unfinned can fail if this is the case this will destroy your new battery. There are links in the knowledge base on the site to check this unit out but if I were you upgrade it as a matter of course to the finned variety.

These bikes are know to be lumpy round town and do need more clutch slipping that your average in line4 and tend to carb fart and stall when you least want it to happen. This will be exasperated if the bike has been tuned to any larger degree than bog standard.

If the electrics all check out then it may be a vacuum / fuelling issue.
Flatline

Re: please help!!

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Phil :thumbup:
If you put your location in your details someone close by may be able to help. If the bike has been stood for a good while the jets in the carbs may need attention, as they could be partially blocked. If the carbs have not been balanced lately that could help by doing that. What is your bikes tick over set at :?: some raise it a little to stop the occasional spit back through the carbs causing it to stall.

It might be a good idea to try another starter motor. I take it you're not getting any strange sounds when you press the starter button?

Chris.
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Sounds very like when my reg rec started to go.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

few problems with the bike cutting out when slowing down coming down the gears and then having trouble starting again (slow cranking) after leaving the bike to cool down for 5 or 10 mins it manages to start again
Sounds to me like a carb breather issue under heavy braking flooding the carbs.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8384

Pull the two pipes out from the holes in carb bracket and let them hang loose and see if the problem persists.

Welcome to the forum Phil :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Watty

Post by Watty »

Welcome aboard mate :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
horndog

Post by horndog »

thanks very much guys, some really good advice, i started it up today in the garage and was a quite strong petrol smell, i presume its running too rich, im not a mechanic, im learning every day from lads on here and on facebook, am i right in guessing the bike is running too much fuel thru the carbs and when im knocking off the revs as im slowing down its drowning it out, hence why its cutting out? im also going to replace the reg/rec as its not a finned one, thanks for your help
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum horny dude..... :wave:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
horndog

Post by horndog »

sirch345 wrote:Welcome aboard Phil :thumbup:
If you put your location in your details someone close by may be able to help. If the bike has been stood for a good while the jets in the carbs may need attention, as they could be partially blocked. If the carbs have not been balanced lately that could help by doing that. What is your bikes tick over set at :?: some raise it a little to stop the occasional spit back through the carbs causing it to stall.

It might be a good idea to try another starter motor. I take it you're not getting any strange sounds when you press the starter button?

Chris.
im sure i need a carb balance it wreaks of fuel when started it the garage, never noticed it before, there are no strange noises from the starter, cheers chris
horndog

Post by horndog »

agentpineapple wrote:welcome to the forum horny dude..... :wave:
cheers mate lol
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

am i right in guessing the bike is running too much fuel thru the carbs and when im knocking off the revs as im slowing down its drowning it out, hence why its cutting out?
If it's only happening under heavy braking/deceleration then you can get a vapour lock in the carb breathers which then momentarily floods the carbs. This is caused by the pipe being at a 90 degree bend and through a tight hole in the carb bracket. Pull the pipes out from the holes slightly so there is not such a sharp 90 degree bend or pull them out and let them hang loose. I'm not saying this is your cause but it could be an issue, going from what you have said.

See the two in the middle and how they run through the side of the carbs.

It costs nothing to pull them out and rule out as being a source of your problem.

Saying all that the following goes against my diagnosis
i started it up today in the garage and was a quite strong petrol smell
it wreaks of fuel when started it the garage
Maybe there is some other issue going on. Check your petcock diaphram and that it's not leaking. Also the fuel tank breather.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304639

:think:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside