My lithium battery experiment is OVER!!!!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mattycoops43

Re: My lithium battery experiment is OVER!!!!!!

Post by mattycoops43 »

I have found an alternative way to lose the weight.

I have lost nearly two stone in the last couple of months, saved a fortune on kebabs and spent zero on unobtanium parts.

I reckon that's a win win!

Reckon that's about 5 batteries worth?
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Just make sure you save up enough energy to bump start your bike should your battery fail :)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

and mcct's......... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'm going to have one for the summer. They're well under £100 now, not much more than a good lead acid one.
JMT do one for less than £75!

But then I looked at the small print:
Although the Lightweight battery is extremely suitable for everyday use, it should be noted that the starting capacity is given only limited at temperatures below zero degrees Celsius

JMT use lithium-ion batteries as a cathode material of iron phosphate (LiFePO4) and lithium-polymer using the method of manufacture.
This allows them to rise even explode, either in flames in normal operation.

Don't you just love small print......

Do you think exploding in flames will invalidate the warranty?
Thank god my bike seldom sees normal operation.
It doesn't mention thrashed senseless so I should be ok.

Another one is listed as:
Lithium Ion Battery Shido YTX14-BS Super Slightly Motorsport Race Motorcycle.

I'm not entirely slightly sure what this means.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I've heard about two ruined batteries made from a123 lifepo cells. One was busted by using incorrect charger, second by faulty r/r - same user :) Batteries didn't explode.
In fact friend of mine did number of these battery packs (mine was first years ago), and only these two stopped working.

You can buy welded pack from ebay and just add some housing (shrink foil), +/- wires, and terminals.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

They're okay for spring, summer and autumn usage but struggle with winter > https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/e ... es.345524/

On my lithium leccy KTM pedalec I only charge it up when back indoors and the battery has had a chance to warm up to room temp - and even though it was a relatively mild winter its performance dropped significantly. Usable but range dropped.

So in terms of motorcycle usage not a mod for a winter hack. And careful what you buy from the interweb as the quality and construction varies. There's an eBay seller well known on the pedelec forum supposedly selling 'branded' cells but they are are homemade from recycled laptop batteries and have a propensity to explode without much provocation. :eek2
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

My main concern is whether it will turn over the engine with high comp pistons.
Only one way to find out, I suppose...

My yellow Motobatt ones only seem to last a couple of years on average. And I have a winter hack now for the commute, so the VTR will be for three seasons only.
And I'll be able to throw the lead/acid batt from my winter hack in if needed in winter.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

8pack of A123 26650 cells is strong enough, I have 11.3 cr. There was only problem with initial start ups during break in, but I had fresh bore.
This pack is stronger than conventional storm battery.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

agentpineapple wrote:and mcct's......... :thumbup:
I wish you guys would stop saying that so I can finally run a set....... :lol: :lol:

It just makes me put more miles on the auto units just to mess with you guys........ 110K before the end of summer :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

As for the battery question, I have been running one of the Shorai batteries (with a mosfet r\r) for the last 3 yrs with no issues.

I will ad to qualifiers though,
First being in SoCal, it never really gets cold but when it dips to the 40s F there can be slow cranking at first but after a couple tries the battery warms up and things are good.
With that I will ad that I was given the battery and it is actually one size smaller than what is recommended for the bike, so with the proper battery I think you should have no issues.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's useful, one tip I saw was to leave headlight on for ten mins before cranking in cold conditions to warm the battery up by applying a load.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

tony.mon wrote:That's useful, one tip I saw was to leave headlight on for ten mins before cranking in cold conditions to warm the battery up by applying a load.
yes, agree.

just for curiosity, here is proven source of cells, you would need welded pack in configuration D8, 4S2P (2 cells parallel, and connect these 4 in a row, hope I write it correctly)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-PCS-High-Powe ... 2c727f29e4

But current price of brand lifepo packs is not so high.

this is my pack

Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Sorry for dragging up an old thread.

But what is the general consensus on New Battery Tech for our bikes?

I see nowdays, they are marketing Lithium Cobalt Jump Start packs the size of iPhones to start your car and 4WD even.
Some from Telemarketrs, but some from reputable places.
At first i just laughed when i saw these ads, now after some research, i am not laughing anymore.

There are so many new Lithium based technologies coming out of China, its dam hard to keep up.

Lithium Ion
Lithium Poly
Lithium Cobalt Oxide (LiCoO2)
Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4)

Some can possibly explode, others are safe, even when you drive a nail through them.

I have no interest in the weight savings, as personally, my own weight or how much fuel is on board presents a far greater weight problem.

I am interested in the Stand By time and Current output of these new Batteries though.
The next issue is charging.
Easy enough to swap Batteries over, but does the Charging provided from the VTR1000 match the Charging requirements of the New Technology batteries?
Then there is Temp range and so on.

So.... Has anyone used a Battery here long enough to be super happy with its performance?

Was looking at something like this: http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports ... -BS12.html

Seems to have BMS (Battery Management System) onboard somehow.
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I use homemade 8cells pack posted above from 2011 and don´t plan to change for anything else. Only addition though the time was service connector allowing to reach full charge on each cell. There is no specific requirement, it is fully suitable for motorcycle usage. Only properly working alternator and R/R is a must. I don´t use any special charger, these batteries just don´t like smart chargers with automatic desulfatation mode - desulfatataion charging will destroy empty battery.

pluses:
- 4 kg down
- steady power output through level of voltage, similar on 100% or 20%, conventional battery goes down with performance when voltage goes low, theoretical power out on 8pack is 240A (A123 cells)
- quick charge
- holds voltage, there is no voltage drop through the winter storage if battery is disconnected in place with steady temperature

minuses:
- performance about 0 degree, you need to wait until battery reach its working temperature
- when battery is completely drain, performance can be affected or in worst case, battery destroyed
- capacity, if you have alarm, or any other device with contionous small power drain when engine is off, this battery is not suitable
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Thanks Sephen, well explained.
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.