Airbox modding

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Airbox modding

Post by sirch345 »

Very impressive work there Tony, it must have been a mammoth task making that airbox. :clap: :clap:
I like the way you have the two Lambda sensors set-up with read-outs on the bike, and the Flo-Commander which certainly came in very handy this time 8) :thumbup:

Chris.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Tony have you considered covering the air box in the silver race tape, demon tweeks stock it. A lot of the serious gsxr power hunters cover the air box top and bottom with it to help insulate it from the heat, you could test it on a hot summer day with a simple reptile temp probe stuck in it.

They swear on the sites and forums that it keeps are consistent and cooler air flow
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

seb421 wrote:Tony have you considered covering the air box in the silver race tape, demon tweeks stock it. A lot of the serious gsxr power hunters cover the air box top and bottom with it to help insulate it from the heat, you could test it on a hot summer day with a simple reptile temp probe stuck in it.

They swear on the sites and forums that it keeps are consistent and cooler air flow
Tried silver gaffa tape sealing the underside of the front of the tank/ above the snorkel area, so that all the incoming air has to pass through the triangular gaps on the frame.
That's necessary so that the pre-airbox section is sealed off and complete, with no leaks.
I still have to find time to make the link pipes so that the air flows in form the triangular holes at the front of the fairing rather than in form behind the oil cooler.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

seb421 wrote:Tony have you considered covering the air box in the silver race tape, demon tweeks stock it. A lot of the serious gsxr power hunters cover the air box top and bottom with it to help insulate it from the heat, you could test it on a hot summer day with a simple reptile temp probe stuck in it.

I read a recent article on that tested on a GSXR750. 1hp improvement.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Right, bored now, I can't get the airbox to seal properly around the carb mounting stubs, also when fitted the airbox I made stops you from tightening the carb mounting rubbers. This means that i can't jet it as the rear has an air leak.....
I've spent many hours trying to get jetting right and have now come to the conclusion that it's not going to work in its current format so I have gone back to the enlarged standard airbox I was running and the jetting is immediately better, and the changes made work properly- fit a smaller main and it gets leaner :lol:

Sometimes a mod leads you down a dead end.
Still, it was worth a try.

I may still enlarge the enlarged airbox a bit more, there's still plenty of room, and anyway I will sort out the ram air in due course, so that fun's still to be had.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Least your willing to try :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Oh, you've got to have a play, you never know what might happen.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

To right .
It's just a shame there's not more room to play with .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

What happened to the extending stack idea Tony?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That depends on how much headroom there is above the carbs.
With a long stack on there is only a few mm clearance to the air filter.
If I place the air filter in the ram air tubes it would leave more room.
But not an active project yet.