shocks that physically fit the storm that could be rebuilt.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gl_s_r

Re: shocks that physically fit the storm that could be rebui

Post by gl_s_r »

I'm on the assumption he wants to put a shorter shock in and make a new clevis pin to accommodate that fact?

That's the point I'm making that the shock length should be the same and the clevis not changed to make up for the shortfall in length.
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

ok, now I see your point, and agree this wouldn´t be the best idea.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Yes i do completely understand all the ramifications however subtle to changing the geometry of the suspension. My understanding is that as the shock absorber is fairly vertical in its position and the top clevis fits vertically and the forces are applied vertically then modifying the top is much easier and stronger than the bottom where the dog bone linkage is which attaches at an angle which any modification to would certainly alter leverage ratios etc. The pivoting at the top during suspension movement is almost negligable so seems obvious place for any modification. Would only be a max of twenty or thirty mm .. most shocks seem to be around 310 to 350 eye to eye .. To modify the shocks own eye or bush is a non starter so cant imagine how i would go about inserting extra length to compensate at the bottom :-/
End of the day be great if there was some other bike make model of shock that was the same length then be no need to modify anything on the bike but as was pointed out most are shorter than the firestorms ..
I know youre not knocking me please dont think im taking the huff lol .. all criticism is warranted !! Not so easy to explain via words .. ! I do think folks that are willing to take a punt on these sort of things as a way of finding savings and short cuts are the lifeblood of these forums .. maybe just having a go at doing my bit..
Think ill have a chat with Roger get some prices .. got the budget at the mo for something decent so going to spend it before it gets nabbed by some other expense ! Ha
George
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

The daughtery motorsport link is very interesting though .. pity they are in the states .. i did actually have a go recently in swapping the bottom ends of a spare firestorm shock with one of a spare cbr900 shock (with much more adjustability) i also have .. overall length then was the same as a standard firestorm but digging further found thst the internal needle inside both were fiffetent lengths and the decision as to which one to use basically stopped me in my tracks .. ha .. id need to dismantle further to investigate .. just didnt get around to it ..
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

maybe it is just me, but all the cheap mods I did were paid twice. And decent aftermarket shock is good to put on every japanese bike, including current superbikes.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Yes a lot of it is close to false economy .. but to spend half the value of your 36k mile 14 yr old bike on a bit of bling generates the challenge. . However im probably going to buy a nitron for the firestorm and look out for a remote preload adjuster to go with it at a later date perhaps ..
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I don´t care the value of bits, selling value of my bike is unknown :-) And 350 pounds spent are still the same, no matter if new ZX10R or old VTR.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

I just ordered a YSS (£289) for the TRX, I'll let you know if it's any good :)
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Actually, I cancelled the order for the YSS, bought a ZX6R shock instead. It's a little shorter (340 vs 345 mm) and has a longer stroke (72 vs 62) - any suspension experts that have an opinion on whether that's going to be a problem?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

No expert but i really cant see why you voukdnt get the internals valved accordingly and a specific spring put on it .. but first put it on and see how it feels just sitting on the bike .. might be close enough for you to feel happy with it and as long as it isnt bottoming out or too far out its a good start .. rest is down to your budget ..
i tool the plunge on a used ohlins from Australia .. fully adjustable specifically for the firestorm .. hoping it arrives on monday all ok .. bit mad really never imported anything but so far its gone very smoothly and all in is half the usual price seen over here for newish ones .. and a bit less than the last one i saw sold on here .. see how it goes.
let us know how the zx6 shock fits and feels.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Geordie wrote:No expert but i really cant see why you voukdnt get the internals valved accordingly and a specific spring put on it .. but first put it on and see how it feels just sitting on the bike .. might be close enough for you to feel happy with it and as long as it isnt bottoming out or too far out its a good start .. rest is down to your budget ..
i tool the plunge on a used ohlins from Australia .. fully adjustable specifically for the firestorm .. hoping it arrives on monday all ok .. bit mad really never imported anything but so far its gone very smoothly and all in is half the usual price seen over here for newish ones .. and a bit less than the last one i saw sold on here .. see how it goes.
let us know how the zx6 shock fits and feels.
Will do, bought the shock from the US, £50 including shipping and import charges. The SV650 guys are mad for them, so if it doesn't work out for me I can sell it on easy enough :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i put a zxr6 shock into the 7r i had two years ago and it was the best mod i ever done.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

A guy on the TRX forum reckons it'll be way too soft given the stroke difference :sad2
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i would say try it. theres masses of adjustment in them. i had to wind mine up a little on spring pre load and rebound damping and it was perfect after one days playing
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

The missing info in all this iscreally the linkage ratios of dinor bike as compared to the firestorm .. not sure if ive ever cone across any info relating to that on the net .. for example for a given movement at the rear axle how far does thebottom shock mount move and id imagine as the axle moves up does this resultant movement decrease or increase and by how much .. im visualising a graph of linear movement verses shock bottom movement .. progressive or linear. If such info was available then comparing bikes would highlight possible suitable other shocks. ..