MT-09 (yamaha)

General Bike chat
agentpineapple

MT-09 (yamaha)

Post by agentpineapple »

anyone got one of these
i'm not looking to change/sell my storm, but if I was to change to a more upright bike, this would be a contender, ok it's not a twin, but it's modern, it's not an il4, it has lots of torque, and sounds awesome with an akrapovic exhaust.
not heard any real issues with them, and by all accounts they're a bit of a hooligans bike.... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Re: MT-09 (yamaha)

Post by popkat »

I like the look of these, the new Tracer looks better with a half fairing. the std Mt09 has fueling glitches, the tracer better but both would benefit from a power commander, the Akropovic is a full system, you can't get a slip on so you've probably spent £1200-1500 for pipe, PC and dyno time.
The tracer looks a bit adventure style but I think it's the same bike just a different body kit and bigger tank. Suspension is soft on the MT09 but a bit firmer I gather on the tracer, even then there's no adjustment except for rear preload.
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/ ... io-002.jpg

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I'm a fan of these as well, and the Tracer, that would certainly be considered if I were to buy new.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I like the look of that tracer spec bike, but is it just me or is it a clone for the new multistrada ?
AMcQ
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

The new S1000 XR is almost exactly the same shape as well when you put them side by side, that would definitely get a test ride!
That style of bike would suit me as they're good two up tourers that would also be a lot of fun solo in the twisties. Maybe in a few years when they're all a bit cheaper second hand.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Don't think the Tracer is trying to be a multistrada or BMW S1000XR, both those bikes are taller and have a lot longer wheel base, the tracer is an MT09 with different clothes, it's still short and still sporty, it just looks a bit like an adventure style.. The Honda crossrunner looks adventure style but is just a VFR750 with different clothes and longer travel suspension, I don't think the Tracer has longer suspension travel, I gather it's the standard MT09 chassis.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

ive had a 2 day blast on an MT09, wow it was good but very supermoto riding position. I have Renthals on my storm as you know Marty but this bike throws you forward and hands are very wide. The bars seem close to the rider. I did get used to it and it does go well, i think the storm has it on the Torque by some way though. No wind protection but the new Tracer should be good. Far to quiet though. I did miss the top end bit too.

Honda need to make a road going v twin or triple in my opinion. Not an adventure type thingy but a road bike and not a tourer.

great price though and Yamaha deserve to sell loads.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

We're looking at these for our Alarm Response riders (CMS Keyholding) to replace their FZ1s/XJ6s, with ABS and a centre stand as standard they look perfect for the job.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I really like this bike. It's very reasonably priced, light and with a few well placed mods could be a real blast. Yamaha quality is top-notch too so it should be trouble-free to boot. Funny how Honda keeps handing us crap like the NM4 and DN-01 while Yamaha pumps out masterpieces like this and the MT-07.....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Troutman

Post by Troutman »

Lovely little bike but I think you would get tired on it and the wind blast would get on your nerves after a while.
Honda would not go too far wrong if they bought out a streetfighter/semi naked V Twin, maybe using the VTR engine with injection for emissions.
I was looking at the Yamaha Bulldog the other day, now that should have been a big hit IMO but it was a total flop, poor handling etc..I think it looks really smart, shame there is no easy way to sort it out as they are really cheap.

I reckon if Honda or any of them for that matter came up with something like this, something around 95hp not the 65hp this has, should be a big seller.
I suppose the Ducati Monster is close but I think it's too small and looks really low at the back although I nearly bought one recently.
"as they are really cheap" ..correction..they aren't that cheap considering they were only £6k new and dealers couldn't give them away. Interesting bike though, I have a Yamaha TR1 which I suppose this is the modern version of.
The press slated it but that was because it didn't keep up with an R1 around a track.
Last edited by Troutman on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

the tracer looks a better bet, at least you get some fairing protection.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Troutman wrote:Lovely little bike but I think you would get tired on it and the wind blast would get on your nerves after a while.
Honda would not go too far wrong if they bought out a streetfighter/semi naked V Twin, maybe using the VTR engine with injection for emissions.
I was looking at the Yamaha Bulldog the other day, now that should have been a big hit IMO but it was a total flop, poor handling etc..I think it looks really smart, shame there is no easy way to sort it out as they are really cheap.

I reckon if Honda or any of them for that matter came up with something like this, something around 95hp not the 65hp this has, should be a big seller.
I suppose the Ducati Monster is close but I think it's too small and looks really low at the back although I nearly bought one recently.
"as they are really cheap" ..correction..they aren't that cheap considering they were only £6k new and dealers couldn't give them away. Interesting bike though, I have a Yamaha TR1 which I suppose this is the modern version of.
The press slated it but that was because it didn't keep up with an R1 around a track.
i had a TR1 and a bulldog.The bulldog was not half as bed as they said. The pipe hit on RH on extreme leans. It sounded great though and did about 60mph. about 75 bhp and i took the Airvalve system off and it was far better. just not quite enough uuumph to thrill etc. always a head turner though.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

here we go, lovely looking.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

bigtwinthing wrote:here we go, lovely looking.
Yeah, they are nice looking. I considered one, then bought the MT-03 as a commuter:

I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

Mike, one other fact.
You guys will get hard luggage whilst the rest of Europe will get soft?

Got a day on one of these this week.
Rode the std version but at 6ft 3in I felt "on it" rather than part of it and it was terrible on the "A" fuelling map but it was the first demo bike when it first can out and I believe they have reloaded them all with 3 new maps now.
Looking forward to this test. Triple sound, 900 odd cc's and not to heavy. (Just for me no passengers)
JuiIe's has the lounge seat on our BMW when we go out together.

I'll send in my thoughts next week.
"Only one life, so live it and ride a motorcycle"