I Bought It With a Knock

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Big_Jim59

Re: I Bought It With a Knock

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Thanks. What great points everyone! While I didn't strip the heads, I did do a fluid test. I filled the valve chamber with carb cleaner and looked for leaks but all the valves were tight. The collets in the right side, front cylinder, intake valve were actually broken and not popped out. The rest look good. I'll try and get pictures. I like the idea of poor assembly after a CCT failure but the original CCTs were on the bike when I got it. Also, iI checked valve clearances and they were in spec. In my mind I am leaning toward over revving or a missed shift. It would account for the blown rod and the broken collets.

I got my parts today. I had family obligations today but I will be back in the shop making quick work of this tomorrow. I will be checking EVERYTHING!
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:Thanks. What great points everyone! While I didn't strip the heads, I did do a fluid test. I filled the valve chamber with carb cleaner and looked for leaks but all the valves were tight. The collets in the right side, front cylinder, intake valve were actually broken and not popped out. The rest look good. I'll try and get pictures. I like the idea of poor assembly after a CCT failure but the original CCTs were on the bike when I got it. Also, iI checked valve clearances and they were in spec. In my mind I am leaning toward over revving or a missed shift. It would account for the blown rod and the broken collets.

I got my parts today. I had family obligations today but I will be back in the shop making quick work of this tomorrow. I will be checking EVERYTHING!
Over revving or a missed gear would fit in with the big end failure you're right.

No making "quick work of this" :wink: :) just do as you've been doing, a good job :thumbup:

Wishing you well Jim with this, good luck,

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

As we say here in Texas "it's a long row to hoe."
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I did get the head back together today. I installed new seals, lapped and checked the valves. I checked the valve clearance with the head on the bench. I messed up the clearances and all but one of the valves needs a shim change. I have to go by the dealership next week so I will get my shims from them. Once I get the front head back on and timed I will pull the rear valve cover and check clearances there too. It is slow going but I want to get it right.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Big_Jim59 wrote:I did get the head back together today. I installed new seals, lapped and checked the valves. I checked the valve clearance with the head on the bench. I messed up the clearances and all but one of the valves needs a shim change. I have to go by the dealership next week so I will get my shims from them. Once I get the front head back on and timed I will pull the rear valve cover and check clearances there too. It is slow going but I want to get it right.
As we say "do it right once" or " measure twice, cut once" :D Hope all goes well mate :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
GoSlow

Post by GoSlow »

No point in rushing it now though, maybe a good thing to find valve clearances are out as it hopefully means when up and running again she'll be nice and quiet :D
The older I get, the faster I was!
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

GoSlow wrote:No point in rushing it now though, maybe a good thing to find valve clearances are out as it hopefully means when up and running again she'll be nice and quiet :D
I have a feeling that she is going to be a really good girl when she is set right! I had a taste for what she could do, even running badly, and that was pretty good.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good work Jim, keep it up, you're getting there :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I did get the head back together today. I installed new seals, lapped and checked the valves. I checked the valve clearance with the head on the bench. I messed up the clearances and all but one of the valves needs a shim change. I have to go by the dealership next week so I will get my shims from them. Once I get the front head back on and timed I will pull the rear valve cover and check clearances there too. It is slow going but I want to get it right.
That sounds good to me Jim. Have you used genuine Honda stem seals. The pattern ones are crap. There is fraction of a thou valve stem difference between inlets and outlets. genuine parts are exact, pattern parts generally not. I found that out the hard way.

Clearances are a pain. It is a time consuming job and doing them on the bench helps to get a good baseline. As you know it's all very dependant on one persons feel versus the other so be particular, double check, and be sure. :wink: What gaps are you aiming for. Middle ground?

Have fun :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

The left intake valve shows to be spot on. All the other vary and the new valve is so tight it is guess work. (There is clearance but I do not have a feeler gauge thin enough to measure it.) I have planned for that eventuality with a spread of three shims that should get me in the ball park. I am hoping to get it all exact but that may be unrealistic. I also figure that my clearance could tighten up once it is run in so if I err to the loose side I will be doing good..

I wish someone had a shim exchange where you could swap shims for a flat fee.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Big_Jim59 wrote:The left intake valve shows to be spot on. All the other vary and the new valve is so tight it is guess work. (There is clearance but I do not have a feeler gauge thin enough to measure it.) I have planned for that eventuality with a spread of three shims that should get me in the ball park. I am hoping to get it all exact but that may be unrealistic. I also figure that my clearance could tighten up once it is run in so if I err to the loose side I will be doing good..

I wish someone had a shim exchange where you could swap shims for a flat fee.
Honda do a swap service here :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I went to the dealership and I got the shims I thought I needed. I got the valves maddeningly close but they could be better. I am going to wait a while and check them again and see if I can get closer with the shims I have to work with.

After checking them a second time and doing some measuring and some swapping, I get .178 out of an ideal .16 on both intakes and I get .305 on both exhausts out of an ideal .31. That is a close as I can get them with the shims I have.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Well the head is back on and I had to fight both the rising feeling of deja vu along with a mild bout of depression over this. It's my own fault I know. I should have checked EVERYTHING but I didn't. I paid for it in the end. Let's see how we get on this time around.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Good luck and it should be good ,fingers crossed

Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lloydie wrote:Good luck and it should be good ,fingers crossed

I gotta at least check for broken collets. The rear valve clearances are spot on which I find amazing. Nothing has been spot on on this bike.