Wanted: (For sale, or Hire) - Abba Stand Front Lift Arm.

Moderator: VTRDark

TheGingerBeardMan

Wanted: (For sale, or Hire) - Abba Stand Front Lift Arm.

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

:?:
Does anyone have an Abba Stand Front Lift Arm for sale?

Or, if not for sale, perhaps for hire? :think:

Don't have the funds to buy a new one at 57 quid from Abba, or the fifty quid that Demon Tweeks on ebay are asking for :(

Thanks in advance.

GBM. :thumbup:

Abba Stand Front Lift Arm
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
VTRDark

Re: Wanted: (For sale, or Hire) - Abba Stand Front Lift Arm.

Post by VTRDark »

I wouldn't bother they are a faff and you need a rear bobbin to attach the strap too on the swingarm. There are far simpler cheaper ways IMO. Abba stands are (as mr frosties say's) Greaaaaaaat. Abba front lift arms......a pain in the arris.

Here is an alternative solution. Get someone to push down on the rear end of the bike or lift the front up, while on the Abba stand so it see saw's and place a suitable large lump of timber, bricks, scissor jack or whatever comes to hand under the sump. Just be careful of the right hand side exhaust pipe. :wink:

If you have a fairing lower/belly pan, it's no big deal to remove a few bolts and having the peace of mind that it's out the way of harm while working on the bike. It also an opportunity to give things a quick check/look over down there and/or clean things.

With this method and an Abba stand one can totally strip a VTR down to it's frame in a day...easily if there are no issues along the way like seized bolts.

You can even adapt the Abba Stand to mount of the engine mount so you can remove the complete rear end.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... nd#p299897

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
TheGingerBeardMan

cybercarl wrote:they are a faff, and you need a rear bobbin to attach the strap to on the swingarm.....Get someone to push down on the rear end of the bike...
Eh? Wot? Huh? I thought I could put the strap round the swing arm if the bike didn't have a bobbin doodah thingy wotsit?

Abba Bike Stand Front Lift Demo

I bought an Abba Stand 'cos I was fed up getting my unreliable neighbour to help with the bike on and off the paddock stands. Sometimes he was available to keep the bike upright, then once on the paddock stand, he'd walk off back into the house. I needed him to hold the bike as I took it off, and he wasn't always available, so ended up waiting ages till he came back. Sometimes 6 hours...cos he decided to go for a kip, and the wife didn't want to wake him just for 2 minutes. :(

The Abba Stand I can now use on me own, without needing the ****** *** **** ******* next door. I have a lock up now, but it doesn't have rafters going across to hang the bike by the bars. And, theres no way in Nelly I'm putting wood or a jack under the engine! Not on me own with no one to steady the bike, just in case...

I'll keep me fingers crossed a front lift arm turns up. :Beer Popcorn: As initially hoped, for sale...or, for hire.

Cheers m'dears! :wave:

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
TheGingerBeardMan

Thanks for the link Wicky. Price is about the same as the lift arm. :(

I read the ebay link description, and it says it comes with 5 most commonly used pin sizes - yet yours has a socket? So, I take it you've slipped a socket over the pin? Can you really lift a bike with a socket and not shatter it? I'd be sh1tting meself with that. I used to use my Moto GP front and rear paddock set, but wanting to paint the forks, so want them "floating in air".

Sadly, the front headstock stand is also outwith my price range for the foreseeable future.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Non of the pin options fitted (too small) so used a spare 17mm socket and viola. The bikes weight isn't on it as it is for locating and securing. Easy to use - Just get the back up on the rear stand and then do the front. No need for anyone else to assist

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Eh? Wot? Huh? I thought I could put the strap round the swing arm if the bike didn't have a bobbin doodah thingy wotsit?
AP has one and because of the angles on the bike with the lift arm attached to the Abba stand the strap is under tension and attached at an angle to the swingarm and it also makes it hard to pull the strap taught through the ratchet which lifts the bike. It's still easier with an extra pair of hands while one person pushes the rear of the bike down to take the weight off and the other adjusts and pulls the strap taught. Otherwise it can feel like a tug of war. It's easier on my bike as I have bobbins so easier to attach and also brings the strap out more so it's not at such an awkward angle. Saying that though, it's still not ideal as this can add wear to the strap unless the bobbin is long enough to accommodate the strap properly. Nah....I'm not a lover of them, especially at that price for what it is.

OK so extra pair of hands is out the question for you then. Wicky has the answer then. That is exactly what you need. between that and the Abba stand you can do anything on your own as easily and safely as possible. :thumbup:

By the way those Abba stands when all done up tight and secure will hold the bike up if it drop to either side when not jacked up. Don't ask :roll: Yeh..it's like having ski's or a sidestand already down and in place either side. So if on your own, it may be prudent to attach the Abba stand as an extra safety precaution when using the front lift stand.

TheGingerBeardMan

Hmmm. Got the first 2 pics ok. And this one is just a box? I know my you tube links work, as I managed to post the link for the front lift arm.

But, I can't view them directly on here. Not to worry, I copied the "properties" of the link contained in the box! Thanks muchly! :thumbup:

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Dave I use a bottle jack under the sump...with a mod tho.

I got a nice bit of hardwood marked out & cut a recess for the jack 'cup' that then sits inbetween the jack & the sump.

Once the bike is on the Abba jacking up from the sump the bikes going nowhere cept rocking back on the Abba...

You could use a scissor jack but not as firm IMO best bet would be a trolly jack but they is more expensive...

My bottle jack is out of a 7.5 ton Daf truck so it wont have a prob with the weight of a Storm...& best of all it was a free snaffel from an old work place.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
TheGingerBeardMan

Wicky:

Just watched the video clip on YT, with the guy faffing about with the headstock stand.

After he scraped the pin across the underside of the fairing, then battered hi mudguard with it, he finally managed to hoist the bike up, THEN checked the pin was in.

Erm, sorry, that's put me off!! I'm out!

------------------------------------------------------------

Mac(ain't getting any visitors from up North no more)V2

Thanks for that. Yup, I remember you saying your method on an email. I don't have any type of jack anymore, and would have been happy (ish) with a 1 ton trolley jack if I was gonna use one. I understand the method of chiselling out a recess for the jack cup to sit in the wood. I used to prop up V twins with me trusty milk crate in days before, but that needs 2 folk.

I guess we'll see what comes along. Worst comes to the worst, I'll use the lampost outside, and sling my tow rope over it and use that as a hoist. That'd get the neighbours talking.

Right. I must away and read my PMs. Some buggers mailed me. Hmmmm.......bait? (nibble nibble) :lol:

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Dave somewhere up your neck of the woods there has to be some transport yards or somesuch, you must know someone who knows someone who has a contact who knows someone...(you get the drift ...)

Ask around see if you can snaffel a bottle jack...You don't ask you don't get...

You could always slip 'em a brown envelope... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

the abba lift arm can be awkward to use, but it works fine once you get the hang of it, yes it would be better if you have swing arm bobbins fitted, or bobbins that go through the rear wheel spindle.
like anything there's a knack to using the lift arm, I've used a front headstock stand before and they can be a right pita to locate the hole in the headstock.
I've also used bricks and wood under the sump, personally I prefer the abba lift arm. as it's rock solid, I've had my blue bikes front wheel in the air for the past 2 months, I know what your thinking.....that's one hell of a wheeli..... :biggrin
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I've been thinking about the front lift arm but not now. Engine mount fitting and a lump of wood all the way.

Cheers for raising the question. I reckon I can build the raised supports into the floor of my shed so I don't need the paddock stand first. Wish I'd seen the threads for the engine mount option before I bought my stands. Could have saved myself the cost of the adaptors.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wish I'd seen the threads for the engine mount option before I bought my stands. Could have saved myself the cost of the adaptors.
There is a link through in the rad me for new members. :wink:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304639

How to Lift/Jack up the Bike :beer:

TheGingerBeardMan

Still "Would Like" - Abba Stand Front Lift Arm.

STILL ON THE HUNT....

Still nothing used on Gumtree, so, with all the new members popping up, I'm still trying (yes, "very trying".....I know!)

A Head Stock unit hasn't popped up locally either at a "reasonable used price", so, I'm still on the hunt for an Abba Stand Front Lift Arm.

GBM. :thumbup: