Scala Headset

General Bike chat
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Scala Headset

Post by Pete.L »

Anyone tried one?
You can play music, receive/make telephone calls, built in radio or just use the intercom and speak to other riders or your passenger depending on the model.
http://cardosystems.com/portfolio-item/scala-rider-q1/

I've always been a fan of not being able to answer the phone on the bike. It gets you away from the everyday connectivity and if someone really wants you, they can leave a message and you can deal with t at your convenience.
On the other hand, I do quite like listening to the radio when I'm driving. What do you think? Too much of a distraction or another handy gadget?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Ckennedy

Re: Scala Headset

Post by Ckennedy »

You'll need something to fill your ears with sound now you've got an IL4. I'm not sure on music though, think more time should be spent concentrating on what your doing. It may distract you it may not. Could always try it and see. Only real way you'll know.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I had the Q2 headset. It was really good, people couldn't tell I was on the bike, it was voice activated, cut the music off and back on again after a call. Says it's weatherproof but after a year of riding in all weather's the rain got through and corroded the board. I now have a bt rider system but can't remember the name of it. Two headsets, one for the pillion or accompanying rider, good for 500m but not so good over the speed limit.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have the q2 teamset and use it for music, phone and passenger intercom. I rate it

And the good thing about the phone link is you can use it for bike to bike communication if your mate has any type of intercom.
AMcQ
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

VTR Phoenix wrote:I now have a bt rider system
I've just looked up a few of their systems. They appear to be a lot cheaper than the Scala ones. Do you notice much difference in quality for the money you pay.
AMCQ46 wrote:I have the q2 teamset and use it for music, phone and passenger intercom. I rate it
I thought I had seen you with something on the side of your lid. I wondered if it was a Scala one or not. I didn't realise it would link up to other brands as well, I assumed it was make specific.
I've also been meaning to ask you about the Rack you have on the bike. Is it the Ventura one? I've just ordered one for mine as I like the idea of being able to remove the rack and not spoil the lines of the bike.
Ckennedy wrote:I'm not sure on music though, think more time should be spent concentrating on what your doing. It may distract you it may not.
Normally I would agree with you. I was always a firm advocate for not having music ( especially from ear buds) in the past but now I kind of think if it's not too intrusive, why not? I listen to the radio in the car every day and I haven't hit anyone or been killed recently.
If they aren't drowning out the traffic noise, what's the difference.
mattster

Post by mattster »

I've a Scala G4 headset, it's brilliant!

We got two (one each for me and the wife) so we could talk bike-to-bike, but as she hardly ever goes out any more, I really only use it to listen to the radio/music from the phone, but the quality of audio is excellent.

Comes with a loads of different fixtures and fittings as well...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I have a Sena bluetooth headset (£50) which is paired to my android phone. It's supposed to be able to make calls and receive calls and has a mic but it's not something I have even tried to do. I guess it'll play music as well but I'm not interested in that. What I DO use it for is GPS guidance and it's absolutely fecking brilliant. The phone sits under the seat in a plastic bag and I get the dulcet tones of the lady from Waze. You charge the headset up from a standard usb lead and it lasts for ages. How long I have no idea as I've always got to where I'm going before it even looks like running down.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Pete.L wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:I now have a bt rider system
I've just looked up a few of their systems. They appear to be a lot cheaper than the Scala ones. Do you notice much difference in quality for the money you pay.

I've only used the BT one for talking to the Mrs while she's on the back, It is perfectly suitable for that. In regards to listening to music it says you can but never tried. Only reason I went for that one was the price more than anything.

In all honesty I would have gone for the Scala again but at the time was too steep.

All depends on what you need it for, how often it will be used and in what circumstances. I used mine a couple of times on the go kart track winding my son up every time I was behind him.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Pete, I am using the mobile to phone my mates mobile, the proper bike to bike ones are manufacturer specific.
AMcQ
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Cool,
So it appears everybody who's got one likes them :thumbup:
Whether it's for calls, sat nav, music or just speaking to your passenger they all pretty much seam to fit the requirement.
Cheers Boys
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

only bad thing I heard about Scala was that they are slightly lower volume than some other top end brands........ so the are sensitive to the ear piece being too far from your ear. on My Shoei helmet the ear cut outs were very deep and I used some foam spacers to bring the speakers closer to my ears and that made a huge difference. On my new helmet the cutouts are shallow, so they are already as close as you need.

with it set up right I can hear music up to 100mph and talk to pillion up to 80, and that is with earplugs in
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

AMCQ46 wrote:only bad thing I heard about Scala was that they are slightly lower volume than some other top end brands........ so the are sensitive to the ear piece being too far from your ear. on My Shoei helmet the ear cut outs were very deep and I used some foam spacers to bring the speakers closer to my ears and that made a huge difference. On my new helmet the cutouts are shallow, so they are already as close as you need.

with it set up right I can hear music up to 100mph and talk to pillion up to 80, and that is with earplugs in
Pardon ? Twice... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Sir-knob-head

Post by Sir-knob-head »

I had one. Awesome bit of kit. But I love rock. Iron maiden Metallica meat loaf Marillion guns n rises and the like. Bad idea..... Throttle happy lol
Idiots exist everywhere
Doesn't mean you have to argue with them

Live to ride. Ride to live
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Pete, I forgot you also asked about the rack system I use..... Yes it's a Ventura frame, rack and bag.. You can also get a grab rail that fits in place of the rack if you take a pillion.

And I agree that choice of music has some demonic effects on how fast you ride :D
AMcQ
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

I've already gone for the rack :thumbup: Two to three week wait :(
I like the idea of it being so minimal when not in use. I've also gone for the larger Classic bag so I have room for everything I need on the next operation Storm weekend :D
I'm surprised the Headset works at all with ear plugs, I hadn't even thought of that. Don't worry about the music selection boys , I normally prefer radio 4 :oops: