Category c write off

General Bike chat
ned58

Category c write off

Post by ned58 »

Hi all,
I was knocked off my Firestorm while stationary in a petrol station . The total cost of the damage has caused the bike to be written off as category C ,as the person responsible insisted on going through insurance.
I bought the bike back and have repaired it to almost as good as it was before,the only damaged remaining is a slight scuff on clutch cover.
The bike has passed an MOT and is back on the road, question is what is the bike worth as it stands, I realise some people will not be interested in it given its insurance status ,but in reality all that has happened is the bike has fallen over.
Anyone got any thoughts on this
Thanks Ned
Watty

Re: Category c write off

Post by Watty »

ned58 wrote:Hi all,
I was knocked off my Firestorm while stationary in a petrol station . The total cost of the damage has caused the bike to be written off as category C ,as the person responsible insisted on going through insurance.
I bought the bike back and have repaired it to almost as good as it was before,the only damaged remaining is a slight scuff on clutch cover.
The bike has passed an MOT and is back on the road, question is what is the bike worth as it stands, I realise some people will not be interested in it given its insurance status ,but in reality all that has happened is the bike has fallen over.
Anyone got any thoughts on this
Thanks Ned
Age, mileage, colour etc etc ?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

£500 less than a non write off .
So just keep it
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

tbh I don't think it matters that much on older bikes, most bikes will be dropped or knocked over at some point in their life. if you price it a few hundred quid lower than a similar bike, you should be able to sell it ok
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I would find it hard to buy a cat c unless it was for track so I think a few hundred less than a similar bike.

In saying that if it was Me I might consider picking up a cheap frame elsewhere and building the cat c bike into that frame.
Maybe that's a bit much?
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
ned58

Post by ned58 »

The bike in question is a 1998 black vtr that has currently covered just under 9000 miles
Thanks for the replies
Ned
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

it helps if you have pre repair photos ....... a couple of hundred quid hit on the price may be but you. i had a cat c that was written off for and engine failure, i stuck a 3000 mile engine in it .... some folks still wouldn't touch it .......But a smart person (and is copper mate) saw it and took it .... it was a mint bike at a sensible price at the end of the day
Watty

Post by Watty »

StuartWags wrote:it helps if you have pre repair photos ....... a couple of hundred quid hit on the price may be but you. i had a cat c that was written off for and engine failure, i stuck a 3000 mile engine in it .... some folks still wouldn't touch it .......But a smart person (and is copper mate) saw it and took it .... it was a mint bike at a sensible price at the end of the day
Didn't know you could claim for engine failure! ? Every day is a school day :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

A general question on this, does anyone know if insurance companies charge more if the bike has been written off but can be put back on the road :?:

Chris.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

sirch345 wrote:A general question on this, does anyone know if insurance companies charge more if the bike has been written off but can be put back on the road :?:

Chris.
I had one that was a write off (cosmetically), I always do a comparison search and the price I was quoted didn't seem to reflect the fact it was a Cat C. It cost me more to insure a bike of the same year, same engine size and category but less power. I believe the only time it affects insurance is if they have to pay out. Then you are likely to get paid out less for it.

Companies should not be charging more for a write off put back on the road as if its fit for the road there is no reason to increase the premium especially as they will pay out less. I know they have already paid out on it but that's their loss. Its not as if they are in the red anyway. Best way to get a definitive answer though would be to contact the underwriters as they makes them rules.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I had a car written off and insurance company told me it had previously been an economical write off some years earlier. Therefore my payout was market value minus 20%. I wasn't too fussed as the payout was more than I had paid for the car. However it will make me more cautious in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

sirch345 wrote:A general question on this, does anyone know if insurance companies charge more if the bike has been written off but can be put back on the road :?:

Chris.
Nope but I had to get the bird inspected (engineers report) before they would insure it ,even though it had pass 4 MOT's since it was written off.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Oh and your not obligated to inform insurers that it was a write off at some point .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Some interesting replies there on the insurance side of things, thanks for the INFO chaps :thumbup:
VTR Phoenix wrote: Best way to get a definitive answer though would be to contact the underwriters as they makes them rules.
I agree, a good idea that.
Duffy1964 wrote:I had a car written off and insurance company told me it had previously been an economical write off some years earlier. Therefore my payout was market value minus 20%. I wasn't too fussed as the payout was more than I had paid for the car. However it will make me more cautious in future.
That's a good point.
lloydie wrote: Nope but I had to get the bird inspected (engineers report) before they would insure it ,even though it had pass 4 MOT's since it was written off.
How much do they charge for an engineers report normally going on if don't mind me asking Lloydie :?:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Virt's an engineer, he can do one for you.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.