Chain Tension Issue

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wicky

Re: Chain Tension Issue

Post by Wicky »

Try some chain cleaner spray to remove all the chain oil and grit that's accumulated into a grinding paste.

As Mac mentioned you can remove the old endless chain by removing the left footpeg hanger, and working on the chain off the bike and putting it back on the same way. Just angle grind the old link rivet heads off and rivet the new one on using your chain tool or carefully with a little pein ball hammer (with a ickle ball bearing).
Last edited by Wicky on Fri May 13, 2016 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Cheers Wicky, yes, it's due for a clean, will do (prob with parrafin)!

Sounds like that could well be the best plan, will mull it over just a little more...
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

For the benefit of this thread, and after conferring again with Mac, I now understand that, to remove the chain without splitting it, you have to remove the back wheel & take off the Left hand foot rest. This has to be done by lifting the rear of the bike but you can't use a paddock stand as it then gets in the way of removing the chain. You cant use an Abba stand either as that fits in the swingarm pivot which you have to remove to get the footrest off. So suspending the bike is the only option. So it now seems best to take it to a shop or mechanic that's got the right equipment.

I just called Russell Motors in Clapham Junction (they did my MOT, I liked them & had them recommended by bikers in the area). The chap was v helpful- says the new rivet link required can be specific to the chain even for a given size & HD O rings as the diameter of the rollers can vary between manufacturers. The only thing I know for sure right now is that the chain is gold and has "Japan" printed on the links. If anyone knows whether there's a specific manufacturer that does that, please shout. I'll check for more clues when I clean it later. He quoted around £20 which sounds like a bargain! So it's booked in for Thursday, but he isn't sure whether he has the right links in stock. I may order one to improve the odds. Fingers crossed.

No more flip flopping, that's the plan! Thanks again for all the advice! :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Mike TW9 wrote:For the benefit of this thread, and after conferring again with Mac, I now understand that, to remove the chain without splitting it, you have to remove the back wheel & take off the Left hand foot rest. This has to be done by lifting the rear of the bike but you can't use a paddock stand as it then gets in the way of removing the chain. You cant use an Abba stand either as that fits in the swingarm pivot which you have to remove to get the footrest off. So suspending the bike is the only option. So it now seems best to take it to a shop or mechanic that's got the right equipment.

I just called Russell Motors in Clapham Junction (they did my MOT, I liked them & had them recommended by bikers in the area). The chap was v helpful- says the new rivet link required can be specific to the chain even for a given size & HD O rings as the diameter of the rollers can vary between manufacturers. The only thing I know for sure right now is that the chain is gold and has "Japan" printed on the links. If anyone knows whether there's a specific manufacturer that does that, please shout. I'll check for more clues when I clean it later. He quoted around £20 which sounds like a bargain! So it's booked in for Thursday, but he isn't sure whether he has the right links in stock. I may order one to improve the odds. Fingers crossed.

No more flip flopping, that's the plan! Thanks again for all the advice! :thumbup:
:thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Mike TW9 wrote:For the benefit of this thread, and after conferring again with Mac, I now understand that, to remove the chain without splitting it, you have to remove the back wheel & take off the Left hand foot rest. This has to be done by lifting the rear of the bike but you can't use a paddock stand as it then gets in the way of removing the chain. You cant use an Abba stand either as that fits in the swingarm pivot which you have to remove to get the footrest off. So suspending the bike is the only option. So it now seems best to take it to a shop or mechanic that's got the right equipment.

Could be RK, HKK, Izumi, DID, Ognibene. There will be a name on there on one or more of the links just stamped in. You then need to check the pitch as well which will also be stamped on there. Then search for the correct soft link.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Thanks, having cleaned it I see it's a DID 530 ZVM2. The shop's going to order it, so should all be sorted on Thurs. :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's possible that your rivet link has been over-tightened and is binding....A new one will probably fix it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mike TW9 wrote:I now understand that, to remove the chain without splitting it, you have to remove the back wheel & take off the Left hand foot rest.
I may have missed something here, but I didn't think you had to remove the rear wheel to take an up-split chain off,

Chris.
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

All sorted for £20, most impressed with Russell Motors, Falcon Rd, by Clapham Junction Station!

The drive already felt smoother after a good clean & lube as recommended by Wicky, but now feels spot on. Alarmingly, the guy who did it showed me the old rivet link with one roller sheared in half! He was pretty sure it wasn't him taking it out that had done it, so I'm really pleased I didn't just ignore the tight spot issue (as I'd been doing for a good while).

Thanks again for all the advice!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

That's great news, now get out there and spank the ass off it
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:That's great news, now get out there and spank the ass off it
I've got a week of work from 28th May & am planning to ride to Cardigan, Pembrokeshire, taking in one or two old friends along the way, not to mention some good biking routes. Only trouble is... my 13 yr old daughter wants to come (preferably on the bike, not telling her mum about that bit!). So I may end up borrowing a car, but if that happens, the moment I get back to London I'll be off a again (possibly weather depending).
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Take the girl. If she's a normal 13yo you won't even notice she's there. Perfect bonding oppo and she'll dine out on it for ages.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mike TW9 wrote:All sorted for £20, most impressed with Russell Motors, Falcon Rd, by Clapham Junction Station!

The drive already felt smoother after a good clean & lube as recommended by Wicky, but now feels spot on. Alarmingly, the guy who did it showed me the old rivet link with one roller sheared in half! He was pretty sure it wasn't him taking it out that had done it, so I'm really pleased I didn't just ignore the tight spot issue (as I'd been doing for a good while).

Thanks again for all the advice!
That's good to hear, a good job you investigated the problem when you did by the sounds of it,

Chris.