Japanese reliability.......

General Biker Banter
Seeker 77

Re: Japanese reliability.......

Post by Seeker 77 »

That GSXR has really not been looked after at all well. It has taken a lot of effort to dial back ten years of abuse and it being left outside to rot. It was cheap though and I knew what I was getting into. I was just surprised that the engine has gone south in such a big way
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's just the bike's way of suggesting that you tune the nuts off it.

Do what it says, and enjoy yourself.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I have a 27 year old VFR750 with 60000 miles that's been very reliable and I never do anything to it. I have a 30 year old Katana that has 60000 miles and admittedly I don't ride it much but it's reliable, neither smoke or use oil.. I've had loads of Yamaha XJ600's and taken a couple over 100000 miles, never had any problems with them apart from known niggles.

Lastly I have a near 16 year old Firestorm that's been reliable so far :wink:

The op's GSXR1000 could have been raced or trackday'd, also could have been left in poor conditions all of which could effect the bores/rings, I have seen high mileage gsxr's and they've been reliable but if they are ridden as intended ie revved the nuts off all the time then 37000 miles is fair for the rings. Most won't be constantly thrashed though, it's pretty hard to that on the road on a modern 1000cc bike.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

tony.mon wrote:It's just the bike's way of suggesting that you tune the nuts off it.

Do what it says, and enjoy yourself.
Hence the ported and polished head, Yoshi head gasket, Yoshi cams.......