Bike falls over...oooeerrr!

General Bike chat
Pem Brooke

Bike falls over...oooeerrr!

Post by Pem Brooke »

Out for a run yesterday and stopped in Rothbury (lovely village, Northumberland), sat having a pot of tea with biker mate.
Big BMW touring thingy, R1200RT, parked across the road.
Guy, late 60's, 5' 6'', 10 stone, climbs on, starts it up, rides up to T junction. Starts to make right turn...hesitates...grabs front brake...you know the rest...
Watched him trying to hold it up...and like in slo mo...it falls over, right in the middle of the main road. Coz it's a Boxer, the cylinder and side luggage saved him from a broken leg.
Ran over and helped him right the bike. Head guard scratched, and side case scratched, nothing more. Got off lightly!
Turns out he's only been biking for a few months...bought the Beemer 'coz it had a screen'. A really nice guy, highly embarrassed, now with a sore back.
Gave him 10 minutes to get his breath back, he then got on and wobbled off (seriously) down the road. Big risk for him, and others who might be in his path...
Couple of things spring to mind...who sold him the bike, and why would he not get a Versys, or similar, instead?
I'm not mocking or criticizing the guy, and a tip over has happened to most of us, but just question his choice. 8O :eh:
Twist it 'til it breaks, then back off half a turn.... :eh:
VTRDark

Re: Bike falls over...oooeerrr!

Post by VTRDark »

Bought it because it has a screen :lol: :lol: Not exactly a good choice of bike for a new rider. Maybe his age had something to do with the choice.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

It's a BMW, says it all. Just look at all the GS etc sold I would suggest to people of a certain age with a high level of disposable income. Again tribute to BMW marketing. And there is nothing wrong with that it's just the way of the world.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Perhaps Evan a blessing in that it means that vtr are still affordable and people who are of a mind can play
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

I seem to have become somewhat Russian
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

By the way I know Rothbury and it is a very beautiful part of the world. And I would think fantastic on a bike
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

Richard wrote:By the way I know Rothbury and it is a very beautiful part of the world. And I would think fantastic on a bike
Yep, we have some amazing roads up in Northumberland....we live about 2 miles to the south of the border. Rothbury is about 30 minutes on the bike.
Smooth flowing free A and B roads, stunning countryside, no people and few cars. Pretty villages and historic castles. It really is lovely.... :thumbup:
playerone

Post by playerone »

Would be even better if they'd resurface a few of the roads, but unfortunately that the same everywhere these days
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Pem Brooke wrote:
Richard wrote:By the way I know Rothbury and it is a very beautiful part of the world. And I would think fantastic on a bike
Yep, we have some amazing roads up in Northumberland....we live about 2 miles to the south of the border. Rothbury is about 30 minutes on the bike.
Smooth flowing free A and B roads, stunning countryside, no people and few cars. Pretty villages and historic castles. It really is lovely.... :thumbup:
if only you had glorious weather, then it would remind me of home hahaha
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

I have holidayed in Northumberland many times, mostly in or around Beadnell and although it could never be as hot as Spain, a good thing IMHO, when the weather is kind it is very very pleasant. I do have to admit that when it is unkind you do tend to feel it. Again each to there own but I do like the area.
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

Richard wrote:I have holidayed in Northumberland many times, mostly in or around Beadnell and although it could never be as hot as Spain, a good thing IMHO, when the weather is kind it is very very pleasant. I do have to admit that when it is unkind you do tend to feel it. Again each to there own but I do like the area.
Fair comment about the weather! Although it's been great this week, for sure we have had a wet and cold summer up to now. But like anywhere else...the sunshine makes all the difference! :cool2
PS beautiful morning this morning!
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

if only you had glorious weather, then it would remind me of home hahaha[/quote]

Know what you mean! Although we had to endure minus 30 during the winter when we lived in Canada, the summers were guaranteed to be sunny and HOT. Plus 30 to minus 30 each year. Trouble is we had enough of the minus 30 bit! :crazy:
Virt

Post by Virt »

Richard wrote:It's a BMW, says it all. Just look at all the GS etc sold I would suggest to people of a certain age with a high level of disposable income. Again tribute to BMW marketing. And there is nothing wrong with that it's just the way of the world.
In all fairness the GS is one of my favourite bikes, having now covered something like 2k miles on mine since I bought it in April. It's a cracking bike by all accounts, reminds me all too much of my VTR with smiles provided by the engine.

I do not fall into either your observed markets though :P
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Pem Brooke wrote:if only you had glorious weather, then it would remind me of home hahaha
Know what you mean! Although we had to endure minus 30 during the winter when we lived in Canada, the summers were guaranteed to be sunny and HOT. Plus 30 to minus 30 each year. Trouble is we had enough of the minus 30 bit! :crazy:[/quote]

it probably wasn't a fair comment, but it's not until you live in a warmer climate that you realise how poo the weather can be in the uk, but I accept the weather in the uk is in parts makes the uk what it is.
when the sun shines the uk is a beautiful place, just wish it was a little sunnier...... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Pem Brooke wrote:Out for a run yesterday and stopped in Rothbury (lovely village, Northumberland), sat having a pot of tea with biker mate.
Big BMW touring thingy, R1200RT, parked across the road.
Guy, late 60's, 5' 6'', 10 stone, climbs on, starts it up, rides up to T junction. Starts to make right turn...hesitates...grabs front brake...you know the rest...
Watched him trying to hold it up...and like in slo mo...it falls over, right in the middle of the main road. Coz it's a Boxer, the cylinder and side luggage saved him from a broken leg.
Ran over and helped him right the bike. Head guard scratched, and side case scratched, nothing more. Got off lightly!
Turns out he's only been biking for a few months...bought the Beemer 'coz it had a screen'. A really nice guy, highly embarrassed, now with a sore back.
Gave him 10 minutes to get his breath back, he then got on and wobbled off (seriously) down the road. Big risk for him, and others who might be in his path...
Couple of things spring to mind...who sold him the bike, and why would he not get a Versys, or similar, instead?
I'm not mocking or criticizing the guy, and a tip over has happened to most of us, but just question his choice. 8O :eh:
Was his name Virt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal