what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
AMCQ46

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by AMCQ46 »

Pete, is that the same bike as Ady has?

Managed a few hrs in the garage on friday and again today

Friday night I stripped, cleaned [and boy did they need cleaned] & rebuilt the petrol taps on the old Ducati 250, then fitted them to the tank and put the tank on for the first time.

today I was getting the storm ready for next mondays trackway at Cadwell.
first I tried to put the Storm on my bike trailer [which has only ever been used for dirt bikes till now] and needed to make a few adjustments so the back tyre would fit into the U section runners, so i flared it out local to where the tyre will sit, then wirebrused the damaged paint and touched it back up with hammerite.

the bike went up on the ramp and I took the race cans off and refitted the stock silencers for lower noise and also good crash protection ;), then removed mirrors and front indicators and it will be ready to go.
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds like you are good and ready then :D
Are you leaving the rear indy's on or will Fabio be about so you don't have to bother taking them off yourself :wink:

It's nearly the same as Ady's but it's the special edition version with a load of carbon extras, apakrovic exhaust, rearsets and full fairing :cool2
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

rode to Lyme regis today with the missus on the back, weather was amazing warm and sunny all day we did 220 miles met some guys on new GS 1200,s, there were 3 new ones and 2 had coolant pump leaks with only 670 miles on each, apparently a common fault.! The third one had a drive shaft weep. My old Honda was peachy. nice to get out and still have some warmth and a bit of sun. not at all happy with the camera mount though, i need a bracket off the mirror fastener i think.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The sticky tyres were worn out & since Summer's over I decided to return it to standard for winter :sad2

Removed:
Fireblade wheels & sticky tyres,
Fork brace & CBR F2 front mudguard,
MFW foot pegs & short gear shifter,
chain guard,

Replaced with
Standard wheels (19" front) fitted with Tourances,
Standard huge front mudguard,
Standard foot pegs & RFX gear shifter,
MWS hugger,
Turned the upper MRA screen section the right way around :lol:

Whilst I had the chain guard off I assembled the braces on the swingarm.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Luxury item that main stand :biggrin That chain look close to the lower brace. Is that a triple piston calliper on the rear there. That could possible be a good mod for the storm.

I wiped some WD over my frame and plastics today. Then sat down had a coffee and looked at the bike pondering.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

cybercarl wrote:Luxury item that main stand :biggrin That chain look close to the lower brace. Is that a triple piston calliper on the rear there. That could possible be a good mod for the storm.

I wiped some WD over my frame and plastics today. Then sat down had a coffee and looked at the bike pondering.
Yeah, that main stand is great tbh, they were an option when the bike was new :crazy:

The chain is close to the brace, but it touches & runs on the exhaust when on the main stand :lol: No issues when my lardy ass is in the saddle though :lol: :wink:

The chain was running a little tighter (30cm slack due to the jackup kit), but when we strapped it down to the dyno I was shocked to see it was bar tight :wtf:

So now it runs 40cm slack which seems crazy when fingering the chain on the main stand, but all's good when I'm on it.

The rear caliper is part of the linked braking system, the rear brake operates the two main pistons on the rear & one small piston in each of the front calipers. The front brake operates two big pistons in each front caliper & one small piston in the rear caliper. I think :think:

When they first released the bike many journalists made a huge issue about the linked setup & complained, personally I think they were talking through their asses :lol:

I've never noticed it working & I've ridden the wheels off this bike :thumbup:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i actually like the Honda linked Brake system, it seems fine to me. its odd actually having a stab on the rear brake and it does slow down :D also you can't lock the system up with the Linked ABS over any surface. i think its bob on.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

bigtwinthing wrote:i actually like the Honda linked Brake system, it seems fine to me. its odd actually having a stab on the rear brake and it does slow down :D also you can't lock the system up with the Linked ABS over any surface. i think its bob on.
When I first had the bike the rear brake was very poor, lack of use? I don't think the previous owner ever used it.

I've always used the rear brake, habit from my trials days as a kid. Now the rear brake its being used all the time it's the best I've ever had on a bike.

BTT, if you didn't know or hadn't been told it was linked could you honestly say you notice the linked part?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

BTT, if you didn't know or hadn't been told it was linked could you honestly say you notice the linked part?
No but I did wonder why there are two lines running from the calliper.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Varastorm wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:i actually like the Honda linked Brake system, it seems fine to me. its odd actually having a stab on the rear brake and it does slow down :D also you can't lock the system up with the Linked ABS over any surface. i think its bob on.
When I first had the bike the rear brake was very poor, lack of use? I don't think the previous owner ever used it.

I've always used the rear brake, habit from my trials days as a kid. Now the rear brake its being used all the time it's the best I've ever had on a bike.

yes it does feel a tad different, also when you use the front brake it tends to dip less as the back dips a tad too. if you brake with the front on a storm you get a rocking sensation, you don't with the linked brakes it seems to squat a bit. does that make sense?
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cybercarl wrote:
No but I did wonder why there are two lines running from the calliper.

your wrong carl it does feel a bit different.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I was answering the question whether one noticed the linked part. So I responded that I wondered what the extra brake line/hose was for. :wink:
playerone

Post by playerone »

took it for a dyno run....knew it would be running lean with the stubby cans on but didn't think it would be as bad as it is...............major work ahead me thinks :thumbdown:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

playerone wrote:took it for a dyno run....knew it would be running lean with the stubby cans on but didn't think it would be as bad as it is...............major work ahead me thinks :thumbdown:
Any pictures of the dyno sheet? :thumbup:
playerone

Post by playerone »

Varastorm wrote:
Any pictures of the dyno sheet? :thumbup:
Just added it in the dyno section in workshop, in my previous thread :(