brakes and whats out there..

Moderator: VTRDark

fabiostar

Re: brakes and whats out there..

Post by fabiostar »

Stephan wrote:For bigger discs, you need adaptor plates to original caliper mounts, or whole front end with wheel, discs, calipers, and forks. Unless it is made specially for VTR like PFM. There are some possibilities to mix the parts, but generally this is the way.
yeah i could make up the plates to move the calipers back out easy enough if i can work out what bigger discs if any would bolt onto the standard storm pattern. changing the wheel isnt an option for me as im running a dymag.

after hunting it appears blade discs upto 97 are the same fit but also the same dia? iv just been offered a set of pfm narrow tracks for £160... not sure if thats decent price wise or not? and what calipers i can get away with using..

god bikes used to be so simple lol :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

as far as i'm aware, for bigger discs you need a setup made for a storm, like pfm as it's been said. tbh if I was you, the best option would be to nab those pfm discs that you've been offered, and fit either 954/sp2 calipers and matching mc, or the slightly cheaper cbr600 f4i setup, with braided lines, brembo pads, and a good quality fluid, you have plenty of stopping power
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

You can check out websites of aftermarket brake disc makers, there are draws with dimensions. I am sure ferodo or trw (lucas) have it on their sites.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

agentpineapple wrote:as far as i'm aware, for bigger discs you need a setup made for a storm, like pfm as it's been said. tbh if I was you, the best option would be to nab those pfm discs that you've been offered, and fit either 954/sp2 calipers and matching mc, or the slightly cheaper cbr600 f4i setup, with braided lines, brembo pads, and a good quality fluid, you have plenty of stopping power
that pretty much answers my questions. :thumbup: :thumbup: .
lloydie

brakes and whats out there..

Post by lloydie »

Stephan wrote:For bigger discs, you need adaptor plates to original caliper mounts, or whole front end with wheel, discs, calipers, and forks. Unless it is made specially for VTR like PFM. There are some possibilities to mix the parts, but generally this is the way.
1998 blackbird disc are 310 iirc (Vtr 295) and bolt up to the standard storm front wheel .
ConTRo13R

Post by ConTRo13R »

If you do get the pfm discs make sure you also use organic pads :)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Cheers lloydie :thumbup: .

if i got the pfms could they be used with blade calipers? or would they need the matching 6 pots?
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I've got PFM discs on the front of mine with Fireblade calipers on them. Mines the USD front end though.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Kev L wrote:I've got PFM discs on the front of mine with Fireblade calipers on them. Mines the USD front end though.

ah ha but it works ok? nice one :thumbup:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

KevL, Are they 320 narrow track discs?

I was under the impression that they needed PFM 6 Pots
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Mine are the sports discs mate. It's worth speaking to the Stop-shop on the IoM if you need any pointers.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well im about to find out because the PFMs have just been bought .couldnt really let them go by and got them at a better price then i expected :thumbup:

next stupid question lol.. is there any pre made brackets to fit calipers back for the 320s or is it a case of making one off brackets?