Temp gauge

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
and7rp2

Temp gauge

Post by and7rp2 »

Just back from a shake down ride, according to the car it's about 10'c, so not the warmest of days but spend some time in traffic.
So riding on clear roads temp gauge reading 1/4 , slower riding in light traffic gauge reading 1/2 , heavy traffic temp gauge rising towards 3/4 the fan cuts in cooling the bike down.
Temp gauge never goes over 3/4.
Never had a bike with such an fluctuating gauge , so wanted to know if this is normal ?
Grey haired riders don't get that way by luck !!
bazza696

Re: Temp gauge

Post by bazza696 »

Very normal, whilst running at motorway speeds she will hover around 1/4 and traffic you will have the fan going all the time, it's when the fan doesn't come in you want to worry.

I was looking a while ago that you can get an adjustable thermostat that allows you to change the temperature that the fan cuts in, but Roger said to me, if it's not broken then don't try to fix it.

He is wiser than me, so left it at that.
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Sounds spot on to me for this time and temperatures .. hey wait for a long summer
as we all do and you are travelling in some heat... please .. that metal lump of
a V twin heats up , and at times is a tad slow to cool down ,, watch the temperatures then
and hear the fan doing its job..."gauge " your level of apprehension then .. :thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Change the coolant and give it a new radiator cap and all the cooling issues will vanish...... :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.