What exacly does a tensioner sound like when it goes

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ubermod

What exacly does a tensioner sound like when it goes

Post by ubermod »

Hi everyone, first post so be gentle.

Coming back from Wales, been on the road about 4 hours (gotta love that stop and fill up every 100 miles)

Going up hill, I start to hear an uneven "knocking" noise under load only. the bike ticks over and revs up just fine. With the prospect of a broken tensioner or chain ringing in my head I called the AA.

Since then I've checked the chain and this was def on the loose side, so I took it for a gentle spin and it *seemed* fine. Would the heat have stretched the chain? I've since adjusted the chain to put it back within tolerances. he chain itself seems in good nick otherwise.

So, would a loose chain produce this uneven knock noise under load? Or would it have been the tensioner?

I'm loathe to ride it anymore if it was the tensioner, so what does one sound like when it goes? Does the engine rev up ok?

Cheers in advance, if I've been vague just ask for clarification

1998 Firestorm, 13k miles. Not aware of tensionser being changed prior to me buying it.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard ubermod :!: :)

I've never heard of a CCT failure being described as a knocking sound, it's usually described as a slapping noise (caused by the cam chain being to slack due to a tensioner failure) which is noticed when slowing down IE when coming up to a tee junction or roundabout :!:

If it's not sounding right to you, I would get it checked out by your local dealer, it may be nothing to worry about, but better to be on the safe side :!:

Chris.
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Trust me you WILL know when it goes. initially with my lid on it sounded like the exhaust had broken on the front pot. With me lid off it was a very loud clanking noise - sounds like a bag of spanners...... sounds awful and expensive.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Clanking noise under load
Chain slack

I'd say the loose chain was slapping on your exhaust where it goes under the chain coz under load the top chain run is tight & the lower one loose
When you shut the throttle the lower chain run goes tight and the noise stops
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

As Ben says i would bet money on the fact its the chain!

CCTs are LOUD and a very distinctive sound (the sound of pounds falling down a drain..) like a slapping and clinking noise inside a bath.

Correct me if im wrong Ben but would he not of noticed the curve drop off if the CCT's had gone? (still learning..)
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Not necessarily

The tensioner is only really put under stress/load when you shut the throttle quickly
When you're on the power the tensioner doesn't do anything really -thats how Steve managed to ride his 2 hours home, he never shut off anywhere :lol:

No, seriously thats why they go at junctions, end of long straight etc coz the throttle is slammed shut and the sudden load snaps the tensioner spring
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

So Ben, what you are saying is that we can all avoid cct failure if we start stopping about a mile before hand ! You are a genius man! :) Hehe
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

So basically the tension is held by the momentum of the engines revoltuions, once you let off throttle the chain doesnt move as quick therefore slackens?

Excuse my crappy spelling..
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Stormin Ben wrote:Not necessarily

The tensioner is only really put under stress/load when you shut the throttle quickly
When you're on the power the tensioner doesn't do anything really -thats how Steve managed to ride his 2 hours home, he never shut off anywhere :lol:
That and the thought of the damage already being done so may as well keep going till it stops :lol:

Seriously tho I just kept it under load BUT still rode normally, sat around 60-70 and blipping down thru the gears - even had a fuel stop half hour from home.

Should point out that this is not recommended, better to get it recovered home :lol:
vtrsteve

Post by vtrsteve »

Squiffythewombat wrote:Correct me if im wrong Ben but would he not of noticed the curve drop off if the CCT's had gone? (still learning..)
Nope, mine ran fine with the broken cct, just a lot noisier.....
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I think you are a cross purposes - one is talking about the drive chain and the other about the cam chain - obviously, no relation!
ubermod

Post by ubermod »

Hi, Don't wanna bump the thread, just wanted to say a big thanks for the advice. Just need to sort the fact the battery won't hold a charge, and the front brakes dragging :)

Happy days :)
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

UberMod
start with a replacement battery, If it's more than 3 years old it's probably shot anyway.
Then you MUST check your rectifier.
If the rectifier is faulty it will cook the new battery.
All you need to check the rectifier is a voltage meter. Start the engine and put the volt meter (DC setting) across the terminals. If the rectifier is good it should read about 12.8 volts at tickover and when you bring the revs up it shouldn't rise above 14.8 volts and it should remain stable at 14.8 from about 3000rpm on up the range. If it doesn't it's shagged turn it off and replace it before it does any damage.

Your binding on the front is quite common. dirt has managed to build up around the piston seals. They will require stripping and cleaning. Worse case senario you made need to replace the seals.

Pete.l.
P.S
Was it just a loose drive chain slapping on the exhaust?
ubermod

Post by ubermod »

Hi,

Thanks for the excellent tips on the battery and brakes.

I'm 99% certains it was the loose chain causing the banging, I've been out a couple times without the noise appearing (is that what sounds do?!)

Handily enough I picked up a multi meter from Aldi the other day, was about 6 quid i think if anyone else needs one.

Thanks again.
ubermod

Re:

Post by ubermod »

Pete.L wrote: P.S
Was it just a loose drive chain slapping on the exhaust?
Yes, it was a loose chain, slapping on the swing arm.

4 years to answer a question, record? ;)