what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
AMCQ46

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by AMCQ46 »

I think the hire company did me a favour now, the 900cc engine might be the perfect size for these type of roads on this island, where the 1200 V4 might have been too much of an animal. I have only found one road on a steep uphill climb where I didn’t have enough grunt to fire out of the turns as fast as I wanted (even if i was using 2nd gear ), but it makes up for that with Lower weight, better braking, agility and outstanding suspension.

The suspension is a revelation.

Yesterday we were on a particularly badly potholed road, i changed the mode from sports to touring so the suspension went from Hardest down 2 increments to Medium. While that was nice for absorbing the bumps and pootling about, as soon as we upped the pace it was diving on the brakes and you couldn’t be agressive, you needed to be smooth or the bike would get upset (as you would expect on a long suspension adventure bike). But back into sports mode and it was like a sports bike….. it is such a dramatic change to the dynamic capabilities with this suspension technology, it is like you have 2 or 3 different bikes available at the pres of a button. Way more functionality than my 10yr old KTM, I am impressed.
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:34 am I think the hire company did me a favour now, the 900cc engine might be the perfect size for these type of roads on this island, where the 1200 V4 might have been too much of an animal. I have only found one road on a steep uphill climb where I didn’t have enough grunt to fire out of the turns as fast as I wanted (even if i was using 2nd gear ), but it makes up for that with Lower weight, better braking, agility and outstanding suspension.

Yesterday we were on a particularly badly potholed road, i changed the mode from sports to touring so the suspension went from Hardest down 2 increments to Medium. While that was nice for absorbing the bumps and pootling about, as soon as we upped the pace it was diving on the brakes and you couldn’t be agressive, you needed to be smooth or the bike would get upset (as you would expect on a long suspension adventure bike). But back into sports mode and it was like a sports bike….. it is such a dramatic change to the dynamic capabilities with this suspension technology, it is like you have 2 or 3 different bikes available at the pres of a button. Way more functionality than my 10yr old KTM, I am impressed.
It can be more fun thrashing a smaller bike than using a bigger one to half of what it's capable of. Glad you're having fun.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:34 am I think the hire company did me a favour now, the 900cc engine might be the perfect size for these type of roads on this island, where the 1200 V4 might have been too much of an animal. I have only found one road on a steep uphill climb where I didn’t have enough grunt to fire out of the turns as fast as I wanted (even if i was using 2nd gear ), but it makes up for that with Lower weight, better braking, agility and outstanding suspension.

Excellent news :thumbup: :thumbup:

Glad you are happier with the V2 now 8) 8)

Chris
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Glad to hear you’re getting on with the baby Ducati, it sounds spot on for your trip. My 1260s can be a bit of a handful at times, but I’m not very good at setting up the suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I've had a pulsing vibration at wheel speed from the front discs for ages, so took my Brembo discs ( on the Aprilia) to Maidstone Motoliner a few weeks back to have them trued.

But I still had pulsing, so, today I cleaned the discs using fine emery and Scotchbrite pads, and I also cleaned the pad faces.

I checked the disc runout. Less than 2 thou, so good enough. This has sorted the problem.

It's odd, though- I've had lots of bikes with discs and this is the first time I've ever needed to clean the discs to get rid of vibration.
Still, all sorted now, and the calipers were also cleaned while I was in there getting dirty.

A quick ride to bed them in, and job's a good'un.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:24 pm I've had a pulsing vibration at wheel speed from the front discs for ages, so took my Brembo discs ( on the Aprilia) to Maidstone Motoliner a few weeks back to have them trued.

But I still had pulsing, so, today I cleaned the discs using fine emery and Scotchbrite pads, and I also cleaned the pad faces.

I checked the disc runout. Less than 2 thou, so good enough. This has sorted the problem.

It's odd, though- I've had lots of bikes with discs and this is the first time I've ever needed to clean the discs to get rid of vibration.
Still, all sorted now, and the calipers were also cleaned while I was in there getting dirty.

It's a good feeling when something as simple as that fixes a problem :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:09 pm
tony.mon wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:24 pm I've had a pulsing vibration at wheel speed from the front discs for ages, so took my Brembo discs ( on the Aprilia) to Maidstone Motoliner a few weeks back to have them trued.

It's a good feeling when something as simple as that fixes a problem :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
And it saves £500 for new discs.
Now, what might I spend £500 (that the wife has already signed off) on? :think:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yesterday I had 3 hrs on the M1000RR BMW……. Sh1tting hell, that is an overkill bike. The seat, the suspension, everything is Just solid.. you don’t feel the traction, you just have to trust and push harder. It was a huge transition from the baby Ducati, and even the BMW owner wanted to keep the Ducati, as the BMW only made sense on perf3ct roads, and not all of the roads here are perfect (about 40% are, so better than home)

Today was a 370km day and some absolutely amazing roads, like nothing we have in the UK, its just continuous left then right then left for miles and miles, many are banked, but also many tighten up on you, so you have to be ready to lean harder. You go from sea level to 1000m then back down, then Back up. Mountain after mountain, it’s like black run skiing but uphill and downhill…. I would recommend anybody should try it. Flight £250, bike hire £750, apartment £450, it’s Better value than a ferry to Spain
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:02 pm
sirch345 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:09 pm

Chris.
And it saves £500 for new discs.
Now, what might I spend £500 (that the wife has already signed off) on? :think:
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:

I like it,

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:33 pm Yesterday I had 3 hrs on the M1000RR BMW……. Sh1tting hell, that is an overkill bike. The seat, the suspension, everything is Just solid.. you don’t feel the traction, you just have to trust and push harder. It was a huge transition from the baby Ducati, and even the BMW owner wanted to keep the Ducati, as the BMW only made sense on perf3ct roads, and not all of the roads here are perfect (about 40% are, so better than home)

Today was a 370km day and some absolutely amazing roads, like nothing we have in the UK, its just continuous left then right then left for miles and miles, many are banked, but also many tighten up on you, so you have to be ready to lean harder. You go from sea level to 1000m then back down, then Back up. Mountain after mountain, it’s like black run skiing but uphill and downhill…. I would recommend anybody should try it. Flight £250, bike hire £750, apartment £450, it’s Better value than a ferry to Spain
Very interesting Al :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Gave it a bit of a clean and fitted the captive wheel spacers I made.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

sirch345
Site Admin

Re: what have you done to your

Post by sirch345 »

freeridenick wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 9:35 pm Gave it a bit of a clean and fitted the captive wheel spacers I made.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Using some of your recently gained skills I see, great stuff Nick :clap: :clap:

Very satisfying I would have thought, rather than purchasing them already made,

Chris.
neil

Post by neil »

On my ZZR1400 it made it more comfortable when I fitted lower footrests and bar raisers, it is a compact fit for rider. I'm only 5' 8" and I found it tight. Helen on pillion has been saying she's been getting pain in hips. I bought these footrest off Mac recently so with a bit of modification and using some spacers off Hawk aircraft (I knew they would come in useful one day) fitted them. Hopefully she will be happy with an extra inch down there
redvtr
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Tried out the Abba stand with front lift attachment that I bought this week.
It seems pretty stable, and although the strap device holding the rear down (on one side only) is a bit " Heath-Robinson" it works well enough. It'll make it easier to clean, having both wheels off the ground, without having to use two paddock stands.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Went out on the Triumph today and killed 23 million flies :eek2 :eek2 its now a black bike at the front :lol: i did find a nice quiet A road first thing this morning and that wee 675 has a better turn of speed than i would have though :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: