Isle of Man TT (OK so it's not on the racing forum!)

General Bike chat
LotusSevenMan

Isle of Man TT (OK so it's not on the racing forum!)

Post by LotusSevenMan »

This is unbelievable.
I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking these guys are f'in' mad!!!
The helicopter shot of John McGuiness tucked in behind his 600's fairing tonight was stunning. It went on and on and on. Brilliant!!

Major league heroes eh?
:D
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

You really need to see it there on the island LSM,went 2 years ago & it changed my view on racing ,motogp.... pussies!!!(only kidding but i couldn't be bothered going to Donington that year.)
Ok,that was 2005!but the coverage on ITV4 is great for road racing,BBC 2 usually do a TT review a couple of weeks after the TT ends too so look out for that.
Cheers
Steve
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

http://www.iomtt.com/News/2007/06/08/Se ... or-TT.aspx :cry:

The other side of it. One of my class mates at school lost his fdather whilst competing in the TT. Must have been about 1972. His name was Collis.

http://www.iomtt.com/News/2007/06/07/Me ... arris.aspx
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

Yeah, its sad especially when it goes all week & then this happens.My brother went off it after Dave Jeffries was killed,but on the other hand if you listen to what the racers have to say about racing there,its their thing & nobody forces them to go ride there anymore.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Looks as if the chap had crashed already once this week as a newcomer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... =1770&ct=5
chaz

Post by chaz »

??? debateable again???

if you check out a web search for Marc Ramsbotham it seems he has been riding and winning for a few years, even at Olivers Mount 8O ,
So I would say he knew what he was doing, but then the TT is another thing altogether. not sure if he has done the junior non winners event as its not reported, maybe they should go through that first as a qualifier instead of straight into Junes TT. but then its the same circuit, they would use the same bikes.
Even then you can get killed or badly injured on a 125 there so its no real apprenticeship...
the court is out again on the TT. :roll:
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

The way I look at it, when you take into account the rider's skill level and the margins they ride within (they often explain how they know every lump and kerb and take appropriate lines) I don't think it's any more dangerous than an average rider on the road.

They all love what they do and they all accept the risk and whilst it is still a sad loss whenever these tragic things occur, I'll bet not one of the riders wants to see an end to the TT over it.

They've all said as much follwing other tragedies like DJ and Gus Scott.

It's all done now for the love of racing rather than the old days of being made to do it when it was a GP round.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
JonVTR

Post by JonVTR »

proper racing as it should be, i dont think id have the balls to do the TT though lol :oops:
1997 VTR1000F
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Isle of Man TT (OK so it's not on the racing forum!)

Post by sirch345 »

LotusSevenMan wrote:This is unbelievable.
I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking these guys are f'in' mad!!!
The helicopter shot of John McGuiness tucked in behind his 600's fairing tonight was stunning. It went on and on and on. Brilliant!!

Major league heroes eh?
:D
I agree it is unbelievable :!: I don't know if these guys are mad or not, because they do know the serious risks involved when participating in the racing :!: I think the worst thing, when a racer gets killed, is for the family and friends who get left behind, they some how have to try to carry on :!:

I went over to the IOM a good many years ago, and was fortunate enough to see the great late Joey Dunlop racing, and to actually meet the guy in person one evening in a hotel bar, what an amazing and very down to earth guy he was :!: 8)
We had a fantastic week, it's eat, sleep and drink motorbikes all week, just as Kitch posted a pic of a guy doing a burnout at 3am in the morning, all that and more goes on at the TT in race week, the atmosphere was electric :!: Also the fact that you can take your own bike on the actual roads that they race on, has to be one of the main attractions.

I guess there will always be the debate about the TT (should it or should it not continue) I know bikes are getting faster, but imo it's not going to make a lot of difference should you come off at 120mph or 150mph if you end up hitting a wall, the out come will in most cases be the same :!:

The problem with speed and street circuits is that there's very little room for any error :!:
bigrich

Post by bigrich »

I have just returned from the tt, my fifth one. I dont care what anyone says, this is THE best motorcycling event in the world. The racing is unbelievable, on Friday Steve Plater on his debut went past me at about 160mph i would say, and no more than 12 inches from my feet!

The atmosphere is something else, unless you have experienced it you dont realise, its a bug, an addiction that makes you keep coming back.

When you go you know the dangers, for instance in one week
I have seen someone laying in the middle of theroad after hitting a dry stone wall, 2 bikes in a ditch, and countless stories of life changing accidents.

Long may the tt continue, every year when i get home there is a relief that i am safe and well. You need balls just to attend this event and ride on the mountain road not just race it. For those who have thought about attending, do it but dont feel invincible...this place can bite back!
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi,

Agree with a lot of the comments so far on this thread, especially
BigRich....
Go Go Go :D .... but don't ride outside your abilities, no matter how tempting it is, especially over the mountain. There's always someone faster than you, no matter where you ride. There are also guys over there who'll goad you into racing them, whether they're locals or just numpties who know the roads well, they are there. :x
Go at your own pace, let the fast lads go, if they're with you, they should wait for you at the next turning or at least someone who knows where the pack are heading. Avoid Mad Sunday till you know the roads a little or a lot!
If you want to experience the roads, and 80% of the atmosphere, go for practice week. If you just want to experience the roads, go at another time, besides this and practice week are cheaper to get there and back.
Another alternativ is the Manx GP over August BH week major party atmos like the TT, good road racing, but a more chilled time by all.

Saw McGuiness and Molyneux on Monday ...... Brilliant. Went for the day as foot passengers as we weren't willing to pay the extra 60-70% mark up that Steam Packet wanted for taking the bikes over for the Centenary.
Most of the guys I know that have been going for over 20 years in some cases have missed TT for same reason but they're going to the Manx as usual. There's lifting your leg and then there's taking the p*ss! :evil:

As for the deaths, it's very unfortunate for everyone involved, especially when there's been spectators killed and injured. For the riders, they know the score SH1T happens, you know the risks and if you're prepared to take them for the adrenalin buzz, you race, same with any dangerous sport. Who'd have though DJ or Joey (King of the Mountain) would ever be killed, especially on a 125! Just goes to show the size and power of the bike are not always a contributing factor.

I'm sure our thoughts are with those people who are left behind, who on here doesn't know someone who's been lost to the pastime they love? Would they want us to stop doing it? No, I know I wouldn't.

Long may the TT reign as the Worlds greatest races bar none, I love WSB, BSB & GP but those guys even Rossi would kack themselves at the thought of doing 226 Miles (6 laps) on normal roads at 130MPH Avg.

For those still awake, my sincerest apologies for the long reply ... just had to get it off my chest.
:oops:
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

there are some very good point being made on this thread, i know a bloke near me races f2 sidecars he's a good bloke and he knows the risks and excepts them otherwise he wouldnt have be there, its very sad when anyone looses there life its very sad, but at least they died doing something they loved, may they rest in peace
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!
WaitForMe

Post by WaitForMe »

we should all feel very priviliged to belong to this very special biking fraternity that is worldwide.
bikers are very special people who have a passion for motorcycles which others outside our world dont understand'
marc ramsbothams family will totally understand what its all about and it would be nice to think that the families of the two spectators may understand.
many of us on this site will have lost friends but it does help a bit knowing that they were doing somrthing they loved.
the lads and lasses who race on the island and the ulster and the north west 200 are a bit special but when you talk to them they are just bikers, same big heart and passion same as you and me.
you will never make people outside bikes understand this
as I said ...we are very priviliged
BLOODY ' ELL...PETROL LIGHT'S ON AGAIN !!