Chain Lube

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Chain Lube

Post by Pete.L »

Ok folks,
Who can recomend a good type of chain lube. Something which can stand up to the winter weather and not fling itself all over my cans,wheels and most importantly not drip onto the garage floor and then stick like sh8t to a blanket.
Just walked some silkolean into the house and deposited it onto the kitchen, hall, and livingroom carpets and "She"(who must be obayed) is having a fit :roll:

Heeelp !

Pete.l

I'm always in it. It's just the level that varies :lol:
RAINMAKER

ho ho ho, I did that too.

Post by RAINMAKER »

but I told my wife to shut up and get a life, then I bought a new carpet, decorated the bedroom, laid a patio........and I'm still in the sh1t.

Never learn though cos expecting delivery of end cans.........hope shes out cos not told her yet.

Best oil sae 80 gear oil after cleaning chain in parrafin. Put up with the fling off, I find all spray ons end up sludgy. Have heard that there is good ceramic lube but dont know what its called......let me know how you get on........Paul.
Badger

Post by Badger »

Castrol chain wax is the best one I've tried

Alan
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

I used to use Shell Motorcycle Chain Lube, then just WD40, but now I use WD40 to clean the crap off the chain, and follow it up with Spectro Chain Wax. It's practically invisible (so it doesn't obscure my nice gold chain plates), isn't sticky (so it doesn't attract grit and other road crap), doesn't fling off, is easy to apply, and seems to work OK. Oh - and most importantly, it smells good, especially when it ends up on the left-hand header/link pipe. :wink:
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds good X-v.
I havent seen any Spectro Chain wax over here though :cry:

Badger; thanks for that. Ive tried Castrol in the past and not found it too bad. Im, just coming to the end of a tin of silkolean a neighbour gave me and was just wondering what everyone else thought was good.

Paul 8O
Your a bad man....a bad,bad man. :wink:
grinner

Post by grinner »

Pete,
Hein Gerecke (think that's right) do a good 'invisisble' lube. Just spray on. Make sure you clean the chain with wd40 first. Think it may be called Profi-lube or something.
Easy!
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Put a scotoiler on it and be done. Route it to the front sprocket and avoid the mess on the rear wheel too.
JonC
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

sorry Guys :oops:
Been working away all last week and just trying to catch up now..
Hmm, never thought about putting it by the front socket
t00lkit

Oiler

Post by t00lkit »

I had the same brainwave and put the oiler to the front sprocket, seems to work a treat, but I do get a bit of warmed up oil driiping down the sidestand after I've parked up.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Pete,
MCNews ran a survey on best chain lubes/waxes in last weeks edition, but I expect you've already read it,
Chris.
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

I always go for the gear oil, give the chain a good clean and then soak it in gear oil and leave it to drip the excess off, don't get to much mess on the rear wheel that way.
Have tried the castrol chain wax which is also very good and does'nt fly off to badly.

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Sirch
No I missed that one.(working in Tennassee).
What was the outcome?

Pete.l
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Pete.l,
What ever next no MCN in Tennassee its just not on, ha ha ha
Re: chain lube test according to MCN test:- out of the 23 different ones which were tested for best anti-fling and anti-corrosion were BEST OVERALL was Wurth High Performance Dry Lube (note this one needed shaking for 3 minutes before use) contact 0870-5987841
BEST ON A BUDGET was Putoline DX11 it offered acceptable performance in both fling and corrosion tests, and easier to find in dealers, contact 01778-394909
If you need any further info from the test just say,
cheers Chris.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Cheers Chris
What ever next no MCN in Tennassee its just not on,
Tiny little place in the middle of nowhere. Hell I'm sure they took turns sharing the village horse. :lol:

Anyway thanks for the info
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're welcome Pete.L ,

I hope it will be of some use to you,

cheers Chris.