This months "RIDE" magazine. SP2 on test

General Bike chat
LotusSevenMan

This months "RIDE" magazine. SP2 on test

Post by LotusSevenMan »

It's in the used bike section against a Ducati 999S.
Pages 46 - 52 if yer doing a Smiths shelf raid.

Wanna know what they think?

Go buy it then!!!! :lol:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Have to say I wouldn't want an SP2 now.
Not for me but realise that it might be perfect for others.

Never read this anywhere else, but it says some owners report it is a lot better on fuel consumption with Super Unleaded!
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

adfski

Post by adfski »

Ive got a 1098 ducati - 1996 only 115000 miles VGC for sale! 8O
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Adfski.
1098?
Terrible road bike really so that's why I wanted the more focussed 'R' !!!
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

I reckon that MCN review is spot on.

I doubt I'll ever sell my SP1. I think the SP is a definite Classic Bike in the making.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
gilson

Post by gilson »

I've been thinking of changing my Firestorm for another V-twin. I was thinking SP1, SP2 if I have the cash or then, but then, something more modern and I'm leaning to a KTM SuperDuke....

Anyone had experience of one of these?
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

gilson wrote:I've been thinking of changing my Firestorm for another V-twin. I was thinking SP1, SP2 if I have the cash or then, but then, something more modern and I'm leaning to a KTM SuperDuke....

Anyone had experience of one of these?
Sounds like you are going through the same thought process as myself, need a twin but which one?
Aprillia Tuono, KTM Superduke, Ducati, SP1/2 I dont know but have to wait a while to get my lump sum. In the mean time I need to ride all of em. The 848 Ducati is sweet but pricey, KTM were a pain in the ass when it came to roadtests.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
gilson

Post by gilson »

A test ride is definately the way forward. There's not many 'Special' V-twins around...

I'm put off by Ducati as the servicing and reliability are still an issue. I'm hoping KTM are more realiable but the superduke is supposed to be a crazy machine.

Alternatively I buy a shock for my firestorm and stick a Dyno Kit on it... maybe get more power?

What is the maximum power easily attainable from the Firestorm? 110 is good, is 120 possible? Which is the same as a SP1? Anymore without too much expense?
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

See what your getting at but the Superduke is 130 bhp with WP set up, just watched the DukeR racing series at Cadwell and they sound beautiful.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
gilson

Post by gilson »

I got a very speedy response from Roger, he's really helpful. It's a very expensive business this tuning!:
If your bike has a standard exhaust or severely baffled end cans (eg Quill T3) attached to standard header pipes there is only a SMALL genuine BHP power gain despite the maker's claims both of Dynojet kits and the exhaust. However there will be an improvement in throttle response and fuel economy.
The standard UK bike is generally 102 bhp and if you fit a dynojet kit
and K&N filter with FREE FLOW exhaust cans (not road legal) you can expect 106bhp - 108bhp) The cost of supplying and installing the Dynojet kit and K&N filter is £235.00
If you wished to go further then the installation of Moriwaki ST1
camshafts into "gas flowed and ported" cylinder heads generally produces
116bhp - 118bhp PROVIDED that a FULL aftermarket exhaust is used (eg
Akropovic, Yoshimura etc, etc) the cost of this engine tune is £1485.00
PLUS the cost of the exhaust system selected. Used exhaust systems appear on Ebay on a regular basis.
So really it's a lot of money to squeeze out those last few BHP... still cheaper than buying an SP1 though!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Hell fire 8O For a few BHP without any handling mods 8O . Sorry that sounds like financial suicide. You would have the cash from the sale of the old Storm to put towards an SP1 so its got to be the way fwd.
gilson

Post by gilson »

Indeed, difficult to justify really, Dynokit could work well, but SP1 looks more tempting. Interesting though....
clack

Post by clack »

gilson wrote:
So really it's a lot of money to squeeze out those last few BHP... still cheaper than buying an SP1 though!
This is true, but then of course you also don't get the improved chassis.....