Which one, and what do you think about the price?

General Biker Banter
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Tried £2550 but got declined. Who the fcuk calls it an SP-Y? I know that that was the original designation but everyone knows it is an SP-1. No wonder i have missed it fort he last 2 weeks!
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Right then, this for £2700:

with 15000 miles and

"serviced to 8k and the rest i have done regular myself every 2k or sooner as if these bikes do not get regular service the valves rattle then you need a major service for valve clearance and cost over £600, bike is mint mate and i have spent a lot of time and money on it! only selling because i am now living in hurghada in egypt."

or this for £2350:

"She has only 8400 miles on the clock and is in excellent condition throughout. engine and gearbox work without fault, the remus titanium exhaust cans give it that proper V-twin sound and certainly gets attention wherever i go on it."

Decisions, decisions, decisions........
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Must say...the TL looks a beauty 8) ..but surely on paper, in reviews etc , the SP is the better bike , more so in the handling department :!:

Decisions decisions :!:

If it was poss, maybe viewing each bike would be the decider :!:
Stevie
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Like both bikes (SP's a lurvley...) but at that price Id go for the TLR. It's a steal. You'll not get much more bang for your ££££ :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Mark,

£350 in it, and a big decision :!: :lol: It's got to be your choice really. I'd probably go with the SP myself, but you've already had an SP so I think you'll probably go for a change this time.

The only thing I've heard about the TL (apart from the suspension issues that you no doubt are fully aware of) is that the cam wheels on the end of the cam shafts are spring loaded, when they start to rattle with wear you can't just replace the cam wheels, you have to buy the complete thing (cam shaft and cam wheels altogether) which can be expensive when you have four cam shafts. That info came from my local bike shop from one of the guys who works there, he owns a TLR.

Chris.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Hmmm, decisions decisions

I've only ridden the TL-S not the TL-R
Personally I didnt get on with the handling on it at all -not the usual cries of 'oh its unstable' but it felt like the steering angle was really steep and wanted to change direction nice and quickly whereas the back resisted it
As a consequence you had to really force it about

In that respect the SP felt like a much more natural handling package

Fuel injection on both is snatchy (it was in its infancy then)

The Suzuki has a better tank range, a lovely gearbox & comfy seat
The Honda has a better clutch, HRC bling and looks

On a practical side the Honda is gonna need a major service in the immediate future which is possibly part of the reason for the low price
However, its more likely to hold its value and will be easier to sell on in future

And finally upgrades
I think I'm right in thinking the better/ upgraded SP2 parts are reasonably interchangeable to sort the niggles (harsh front suspension & fuel injection) whereas the TL is stuck up a development dead end
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

As Chris and Ben have both pointed out there are many sensible reasons for going for the Honda. And tha tis exactly why i am going for the Zook! I picked up the bill for the 18000 mile service on my last SP and don't want another.

Will let you know how it goes!
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Eyup Mark,

TBH I'd go for the SP but purely cos I haven't had one yet - you have.

I'd not kick either oot the garage - and can understand your reasoning on going for the TL.

Good luck with the purchase, hope you're happy with it.

I assume you're going for the pretty sexy looking blue & white (albeit 'common') rather than the mundane (but stealthy looking) BLACK!

God choice IMO - tis like a 'brand' for zooks now and IMO one of the very few bikes that look good with white wheels.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Fair choice Mellis, I would have gone for the SP personally but I have not owned one. Heard lots of good things about the TL and would certainly consider one. SP will be worth more in 2 yrs time though.

Good luck with which ever beast you choose.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Timbo wrote:I would have gone for the TL, its sexy and dare i say, a bit different. Those SP thingies are 2 a penny these days, arent they? he says, sitting back waiting for the abuse

Its also a hell of a lot of bang for the money.
You got to remember Deano's got one too Tim ........ Tut!
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

That is the actual one, the blue and white one. I just don't want to buy a bike that i have had before, maybe could go back to one further down the line. Just waiting fro him to get back to me and wondering how i am going to pick it up and get it here......

Anyone live near Bognor Regis!!??
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

mellis wrote:As Chris and Ben have both pointed out there are many sensible reasons for going for the Honda. And tha tis exactly why i am going for the Zook! I picked up the bill for the 18000 mile service on my last SP and don't want another.

Will let you know how it goes!
:wink: Good choice Mellis!

I liked the Honda too-but im afraid If I was to buy a SP it'd have to be a unmolested minter with minimal mileage. That one isnt... :(

That Suzi is a very nice example. TBH I dont think you'll loose that much on it at that price if it's looked after.

The motors mental for a V2 :twisted:

Enjoy :D
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

Bought it!!!!! Woohoo :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Glad too see you've made your mind up mark :D

It'll be interesting to hear your opinion on it seeing as you already know what an SP1 is like :D

Chris.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

nice one, interesting to here wot you think after the first blat out! :wink: :D
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........