educating car drivers - rant

General Biker Banter
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

You're right you know, they are ugly like death, but then I think you're being a little unfair to death. All he's got is a scythe, cloak and a skull to work with. Now what can you do with that?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
And thanks for dumping your junk on poor innocent and trusting Australians and trying to call them that they are collectables 8O
My other job is navigator on an Intergalactic
Spice Freighter

Red (of course) 99 storm. Vance & Hines SS2 cans, Dynajet kit and K&N filter.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Yep, you got it right.
"Ural" made in Russia and have roll bearings and no-pressure oil system, "Dnieper" made in Ukraine and have more contemporary pressure oil system....but both are UBELEIVABLE CRAP! :)
Both sold in West as "retro" (Oh, come on!) and both often sold as Cossak or Irbit etc.
If you survived that bike you move to Japs :) that's how it worked back then....

I must admit - old army variants....with anti-tank rocket launcher and machine gun on sidecar those bike are good :lol:
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Max

Post by Max »

I must admit - old army variants....with anti-tank rocket launcher and machine gun on sidecar those bike are good
back to the subject of educating car drivers :lol:
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Alienist wrote:You're right you know, they are ugly like death, but then I think you're being a little unfair to death. All he's got is a scythe, cloak and a skull to work with. Now what can you do with that?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
And thanks for dumping your junk on poor innocent and trusting Australians and trying to call them that they are collectables 8O
On behalf of all ex-Soviet bikers I apoligize for dumping that crap to naive people overseas :lol:

Thou I must say that recntly russian factory issued really retro version and really army version, it looks cool. But I bet it rides like crap...

bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Max wrote:
I must admit - old army variants....with anti-tank rocket launcher and machine gun on sidecar those bike are good
back to the subject of educating car drivers :lol:

Exactly my point! :)

I had friend back then - he had scratched and ugly "military" version minus all weaponry of course :lol: , he wore army helmet, WWII googles etc. and kept generally that kind of style.
I tell you what - he scared HELL out of car drivers overtaking them with sidecar in the air, and it saved me once, when big Mercedes tried to push me off road and this friend of mine scared him off....
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

I'm looking at those skinny wheels and the sidecars and I'm thinking that performance and handling was not a consideration when they bolted them together. And also a fun factor has been missed as well. Guess we'll see them down here marketed as the latest thing in Russian engineering and selling for as much as a Ducati. :D :D
Spice Freighter

Max

Post by Max »

I like the camo one that would look good in the garage next to the storm. Found this as well

http://www.ura.freeuk.com/technical.htm
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Yep, because it is US marketing people that sell those....otherwise you would never see them...

BTW - for off-road they good. I mean - like dumb working horse. Interchnangeable wheels, almost no suspension, opposite, bullteproof tank :lol:
Just don't take them to tarmac and do not expect that thing you call "handling" - these bikes are slightly updated copy of BMW R71 of 1940. I am serious, no joke. Those bikes designed on basis of blueprints taken from German factories in WWII.
We used to say "it can do fast - 120 kmph - but very badly and for very short time" :lol:
Oh, just noticed - look, DISK BRAKES!!! 10 years ago we;ve been dreaming to have them on our bikes!!! Had to cope with cable-driven drum brakes 8O
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Max wrote:I like the camo one that would look good in the garage next to the storm. Found this as well

http://www.ura.freeuk.com/technical.htm
OH MY GOD!!! Is this club for REAL???? 8O
Max

Post by Max »

http://www.imz-ural.com/gearup/

If that price is correct then its more expensive than a new storm !!!!
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Max wrote:http://www.imz-ural.com/gearup/

If that price is correct then its more expensive than a new storm !!!!

Yep. Noticed which country it is? All is marketing. And read small print:

"does not include destination fee, tax, license and setup"

But I must be fair. I do not know about those bikes, those are different, I can see those are far from what I rode back then and I can only say - if they can save only remaining moto factory for russian oppozites at expense of people who need form over function and have extra cash- let them do it.
Max

Post by Max »

I think its North America as the drop down at the top gives USA and canada.

http://www.imz-ural.com/downloads/movies/Gear-UpW.wmv

7.5mb of mad russians off road
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

If it came with a rocket launcher as standard I'd consider it 8) and if I had to put up with the sidecar thingy, well I'd just have to put a keg in it :D
Disk brakes!! well that's going to triple the price then. It will be marketed as the latest in safety technology and at the fore front of rider aids. 8O Hmmm, just give me the rocket launcher :twisted:
Spice Freighter

bluesman

Post by bluesman »

well, back to theme again.
Educating car drivers.

Can you see somebody crossing you path when you riding such thing ? ;)

I just had last news from my friends in Ukraine - team of riders covered 56000 km in 15 days on couple of those bikes....
So...if you get this engine right it can be reliable. Shame all we had access to was sh...ty spares and bikes assembled by drunk idiots. At the end of the day it is BMW R71 replica, and Germans are good engineers...
And it is version with driven sidecar wheel...was really difficult to get back then...Oh, I went all nostalgic :wink:

But I will never never never want one of those again.
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

ooops - sorry, 15000 km in 56 days! just a small mistake... :wink: