educating car drivers - rant

General Biker Banter
bluesman

educating car drivers - rant

Post by bluesman »

Just a rant ...
While riding to France we (first time, my sin) decided to use toll roads just to get there (we aimed for Bretagne).
Of course we left at worst possible weekend - 30 July. So, toll roads been crowded like hell, with queues all the way and traffic jams.
Naturally, we been slowly filtering through. I mean -not agressively, really slowly, as bikes been loaded with luggage and we did not want to get too tired. Did good 30 km of filtering on 3 toll roads.
So, what's all that about. I was absolutely amazed to see reaction of car drivers. 3 clear categories:
1. French, German, Dutch, etc. numberplates - car shifting to make bigger gap for us to go through, people clearly understand that we can't just sit in traffic jam for hours, it's not same with sitting in car.
2. RARE friendly drivers in cars with UK plates (can count on one hand - about 5 people) - very friendly, opened window and waving like "you can go mate, I'll move out for you a bit" - I guess, motorcyclists.
3. Agressive people, lot of them women at wheel - ALL with UK numberplates. Terrible and aggressive reaction: they actually move to close gap, to stop us filtering, shouting at us behind safely closed windows in aircondtioned cars or making "I don't see anything" look while slowly moving towards passing bike trying to press you against some van while french driver of this van keep on trying to move further and further to let you go and actually shouting at agressive drivers.
What amazed me - why??? Why all cars with UK numberplates for Gawd sake! I've been to UK many times and I liked people there, they all seemed reasonable, friendly and independent.
But here is mistery: there was no single car from other country behaving like that... 8O
I apologize for bringing it up here, again - this is not that I am dissapointed in UK people, you all so great bunch, and I always found friends and help on sites in UK, and: it actually was first time I saw something like that, that did not happened year ago at all(when we went to Haute Alps and south)! I just want to understand - is it some kind of campaign against motorcyclists, or is it specific type of people who goes to Bretagne? Somebody with principle of taking your own rules everywhere? I am seriously worried, as I have planned to drive in UK next year and now I am truly scared... 8O
Is it something specific I just don't know?
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Not surprised at all mate, to be honest
The vast majority of crap driving I've seen on the continent has been British :(
From sitting in the outside lane, to not signalling, to just downright lack of consideration towards other road users.
But then again its the same over here too. I regularly use the M6 toll (very quiet 3 lane road) and have nearly worn the lights and horn out flashing and undertaking morons in the middle lane with no cars in sight!! :twisted:

And don't get me started on the standard of the roads or speed cameras!!!

Ben
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

Aye Ben, just what does our Road Fund Tax get spent on ? I remember quite a few years back it being reported that there were so many umpteen millions unspent ! :twisted:
eddvtr1000

Post by eddvtr1000 »

yep thats the way a lot of english/british car and van drivers behave, a bit unfortunate that it seems that these poeple drive by there own rules of being down right ignorant, aggresive and in some instances very dangarous :?
but dont let that put you off coming over here matey becuase they are for the most the minoroty.
4 cyl = 2ltr , 2 cyl = 1ltr it's all relative.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

You dont say where in the UK your going bluesman so I'd suggest getting the Zeebrugge to Rosyth superfast ferry and hitting the highlands. You dont have to worry about bad drivers up there coz the roads are empty.
Rich.

bluesman

thanks

Post by bluesman »

thanks for advice, colleagues!
To be frank - I don;t know yet where to I'll go, just planning - it have to be next summer as I am skint this time and just done trip to France :)
I am absolutely puzzled by Isle of Man thou - I am seriously interested in caferacers/rockers history (I editor of that section on main Ukrainian mtorcycling portal), so I want to go there, then I want to go Scotland, I want to go to Ireland...I want to go everywhere actually! :) One day I'll do it all :)
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

I find drivers in this country are crap, mean and nasty.
never had the slightest worry when abroad.

I try to be nice here too, both on the bike and in the car
it may be clever, but its not big.
VTRgirl

Re: thanks

Post by VTRgirl »

bluesman wrote:... I want to go there, then I want to go Scotland, I want to go to Ireland...I want to go everywhere actually! :) One day I'll do it all :)
I'm sure you'll love Australian drivers :wink:
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
bluesman

ohh

Post by bluesman »

Don't even mention it....my ulitmate dream to live in Australia. I am serious. It is only fact that even now I am not settled even here and have family that stops me. And because my old folks back in Ukraine need support....and because I do not want to be "asylum seeker"...and need to make some savings. :)

Guess my favourite movie? ;) Mad Max ;)
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

So you need to get married & score a greencard then... Better send me a pic. :lol: :wink:
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

You have good taste in movies bluesman. Nothing like wanton destruction and killing :D
It's a nice place to live. I've travelled around fair bit and still can't find a better place. Although Scotland came very close 8)

Trust you VTRgirl :D
My other job is navigator on an Intergalactic
Spice Freighter

Red (of course) 99 storm. Vance & Hines SS2 cans, Dynajet kit and K&N filter.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

Alienist wrote:Trust you VTRgirl :D
I could take that soooo many different ways... :wink: :lol:
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lack of sleep is a great thing. :lol: Wonder what all the brits are doing?? I'd say in the pub, if I were them :D
Spice Freighter

bluesman

better idea

Post by bluesman »

Oops :oops:
Nah, I have other idea :wink:
I'll wait for my daughter to grow and marry nice Aussie guy who will be OK to let old guy live in his garage and fix bikes, listen to "outdated" rock music and make barbecue in back garden :lol:
Alienist

Post by Alienist »

Nice mate, nice :D If you're lucky he'll own a pub, a bike shop and possibly be president of a Turf club as well. Now that is a slice of heaven 8)
I listen to outdated rock music as well and I'm not that old!! :D
Spice Freighter