Honda Cam Chain Tensioners - Life Expectancy From New

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: Honda Cam Chain Tensioners - Life Expectancy From New

Post by tony.mon »

If it gave you a warning rattle, you looked it up, established what it was, and you decided to repair it by changing the oil and thrashing it I'm not surprised it went.

And you're blaming the bike :confused

Stick with another make.
I hear that with Kawasaki's you can skip services by simply checking the tyre pressures!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

It is not exactely like this.i recently bought the bike and i drive it totally for less than 50 km.the soft rattle (at 2000 rpm)desappeared completely during the second ride.and this why i began to collect informations about this fail (who i recognized immediately without read anything in any forum). In the meanwhile i serviced the bike and during the third short ride this happened. don t forget my bike has 9000 km.and i think nobody inside has had this fail so fast.there weren t yet all conditions to stop completely the motorcycle .
About the brand: During my life i haven t ever had any case of failure so clamorous on all the other japaneae brands.i remember some fuel tap in the '80 on the suzuki,some tensioner (but at higher mileage)
But yes,i can confirm i havent ever seen a brown spring.this is simply a bullshit raw material.
Just to notice: I m engineer for job.mechanical, for passion(and for job when i was young),track rider for sport. But may be you can try yourself to service your bike with compress air
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fair enough.
Lots of us on here joined after having one fail and learnt not to ignore the warning the hard way!

I would recommend you do a cylinder pressure test after it's rebuilt just to be sure, although if the clearances are ok you are probably ok.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

Jep,thanks for suggestion
Unluckly yesterday i wasn t equiped to make a compression test. And unluckly today (in turin is a rainy day) i have no spares to complete the job...
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

Hi guys,mcct just arrived.
Mine are "O ring" version.I suppose the sealant is no more necessary?
Attachments
WP_20170409_13_58_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20170409_13_58_58_Pro.jpg (3.95 MiB) Viewed 1536 times
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

she lives..
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

A job well done :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

alanfjones1411 wrote:A job well done :thumbup:
Yes.i was basically luckly because i didn t collect any serious damage.
to be honest this job toke to me little more time than what i saw on the tutorial.this because i made several try about the tensioning of the chains,and cleaned all the disasembled parts from the previous bond,thread lock and so on ...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fulviogsx wrote:
alanfjones1411 wrote:A job well done :thumbup:
Yes.i was basically luckly because i didn t collect any serious damage.
to be honest this job toke to me little more time than what i saw on the tutorial.this because i made several try about the tensioning of the chains,and cleaned all the disasembled parts from the previous bond,thread lock and so on ...
It doesn't matter how long the job takes, the main thing is you've completed it, well done :thumbup:
You were very lucky,

Chris.