Fuel Consumption

General Biker Banter
sparrowlegs

Fuel Consumption

Post by sparrowlegs »

Righty ho peeps,
I know similar questions have been asked before but is my Storm really bad runnig at about 21 miles to red light off £5 of petrol?...petrol is about 112 per litre up here.
I can't do the maths as i am exceedingly thick :oops: ...my mates reckon it's really bad and there could be a carb prob like its burning too much air or something.
Any help would be grand coz i'm doing my nut in and having to think about selling it as it's costing me so much money.
Cheers me dears...Caz xxxx
Ernie Cooley

Post by Ernie Cooley »

adfski

Post by adfski »

Mine is in KM but For £15 (£1.19 a litre) I get 150-160 KM. If you can be arsed working out the exchange rates that might be of some use.

160 KM = 100mile

So about 100 mile for 15 quid - not too bad really. Better than my toyota avensis which is quite an efficient motor.

If fuel is really affecting you, you might have to consider something a lot smaller. (up to 100mpg on little 125's)
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

Ernie Cooley wrote:http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

You are getting approx 20 mpg
good grief..thanks for that hun x
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

adfski wrote:Mine is in KM but For £15 (£1.19 a litre) I get 150-160 KM. If you can be arsed working out the exchange rates that might be of some use.

160 KM = 100mile

So about 100 mile for 15 quid - not too bad really. Better than my toyota avensis which is quite an efficient motor.

If fuel is really affecting you, you might have to consider something a lot smaller. (up to 100mpg on little 125's)
Not goin back to a 125 lol...i'd need a crowbar to get it outta my elbow crack lol...i need a big bike...just not so thirsty...but i love my Storm soooooooooo much :(
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

I'm getting nearly 40mpg on mine but I ride fairly sedately

My gilera runner 200vxr is doing me proud at 80mpg :)

It's hard to look cool carrying toilet roll.
custard

Post by custard »

When I went on a trip a couple weeks ago, I got 145 out of a tank (about 125 before red light!) - that was pretty much draining it. Prob coulda got 5 miles more. That was a steady 70 - 80 all the way. Think I averaged something near 40mpg.

Usual riding around town or across twisties usually gives 80 miles before red light, sometimes upto 90/95. I have the 16l tank.

It is a lot worse on fuel than all of my mates bikes, and not as fast either, but I still love it. Theirs doesn't sound like the end of the worldis here ;)
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Sparrow, when was it last serviced? Can make a bike difference air filter and plugs. Shouldntbe doing 20 mpg unless absolutely mullering it. I could get mine down to 80 miles ish till red light from one full tank but that was giving it some real rice :twisted:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
warby221

Post by warby221 »

I’d say your burning too much fuel two things spring to mind right away
You do lots of stop start riding i.e. round town a lot

Or your giving it big licks after the acceleration buzz i.e. burning off then having to slow down because of traffic then repeating the cycle

Both burn fuel like there’s no tomorrow you need to look at how you ride before faulting the bike I'm afraid steady always the way to get mileage from your fuel
Use minimal throttle to gain the speed you want boring but it works

If this isn’t you then start looking at the bike look for any leaks check the air filter, tyre pressures, binding brakes, check the idle mixture then you need check the plugs to see how the engines running at part throttle
Run the bike at a steady throttle for a mile or so hit the kill switch and cost to a stop now have a look at the plug it should be a light dry brown-grey colour if its sooty black its to rich do the same at higher revs on a steady throttle
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Good God woman!

21 miles?!? I get 80 off a tenner (what I use for 1 weeks work travelling) and I vary between caning it and nun speed.

Can you smell petrol? If your running rich enough to be doing half the economy you shoul dget, you'd smell it for sure.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I got 123 miles before RLOD once :-) ... and that was the last session on track at Rockingham (i.e. gassing it!), followed by 100 mile ride home (at 70-80 on motorway).

If riding conservatively round town can get 90-100 miles before RLOD - if riding like a loon more like 80 miles !!

Oh yeah & mine's a 1997 storm, so 16 litre tank.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Caz,

Another possibility is that the choke is not shutting off on each carb when you shut it off. The choke cable assembly is a two into one set-up and it's possible one or both chokes are still partially on even though they appear to be off because you've pushed the choke knob in. Another possibility is a split in one of the carbs diaphragms :!:

Chris.
lee67

Post by lee67 »

i used to get 60-70 to rlod reg on my storm......and that was about a £10 worth....riding steadyish i got nearer 90 miles...now on cruiser im getting 130 miles to rlod..everytime i ride it....on £8 :D
lee67

Post by lee67 »

forgot to add caz.....check your airfilter, bet its full of shite..change that and plugs should help, oh and make sure your tyres are at right psi
warby221

Post by warby221 »

sirch345 wrote:Caz,

Another possibility is that the choke is not shutting off on each carb when you shut it off.

Chris.
very good point worth looking at first as it costs nout
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC