Trackdays that people are doing...

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

JohnD

Trackdays that people are doing...

Post by JohnD »

Thought i'd start a new thread where you can post what trackdays you are doing, in the hope that another 'storm owner might be doing it, or might come & join ya !

To start it off, i'm doing Rockingham International this bank holiday monday 25th August....
gilson

Post by gilson »

Hope you had a blast! Never done Rockingham. Off to Snetterton on Thursday 28th, looking forward to it.

I've upgraded my Firestorm Track bike with an SP1 front MC. I also took the pads out and sanding them down to get rid of the glaze. Expecting great things!

I prefer Brands Indy to the few I've done, although Cadwell was special but it's too far away... Must try to get up there again...
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

gilson wrote:Hope you had a blast! Never done Rockingham. Off to Snetterton on Thursday 28th, looking forward to it.

I've upgraded my Firestorm Track bike with an SP1 front MC. I also took the pads out and sanding them down to get rid of the glaze. Expecting great things!

I prefer Brands Indy to the few I've done, although Cadwell was special but it's too far away... Must try to get up there again...
Yes had a great day thanks! First time on the International circuit. Must say I prefer the National circuit tho now having done both of them. Rockingham is really underrated I reckon... great technical twisty circuits with lots of left handers :D... also they never book up in advance, so you can check the weather a day or two before & book up if it's gonna be dry!

Brands Indy is a great track (not as good as GP tho :wink: )... tis only 20 miles from me, so tis the one I frequent most. Would love to do Cadwell, but like you say tis a little far away to do in one day when you are riding there & back.

Have a good time at Snetterton... i'm now saving my pennies to try & get a few more trackdays in before it starts getting cold again!
gilson

Post by gilson »

Hi John, you really thought the Brands GP is better? I've never ridden it, but I rode Silverstone GP and found it too long and technical for a single track day.

Does that also apply to Brands GP? Is it worth the extra money for the GP circuit?
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

gilson wrote:Hi John, you really thought the Brands GP is better? I've never ridden it, but I rode Silverstone GP and found it too long and technical for a single track day.

Does that also apply to Brands GP? Is it worth the extra money for the GP circuit?
I know what you mean about Silverstone GP - did it this year for first time & took me all day to get to grips with it properly (all 18 corners of it!!!). Would like to go back now I have some knowledge of it, tho I do prefer the tighter, twistier circuits.

Brands GP is quite a bit shorter than Silverstone GP, & half as many corners, so not that hard to learn in a day... plus if you've riden the Indy circuit, you already know some of the corners! It is expensive yes, but it is worth treating yourself to it once a year IMO!
gilson

Post by gilson »

A treat sounds good. Snetterton yesterday was good, rain stayed away and enjoyed it. BUT it is such a 'power' course, if you have a 1000cc IL4, you'll do well. Those straights are too long for a firestorm and even though over taking people out of the bend, I'd get caught on the straight.

I really hate R1, ZX-10s and Fireblades.... they should be banned! :D

Makes it all the more satisfying when you take one and keep them behind..

That was my second and probably last time at Snetterton. Brands Indy is far better IMO and I'll be going back there ASAP.

What others would you recommend?
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I havn't done Snetterton yet - kinda because of the reasons you mention...

Lydden Hill is also a great little circuit IMO... very short, but much more difficult than you think - the 'storm works great here! Brands & Rockingham National are my other personal faves at the moment !
gilson

Post by gilson »

Thanks Jon, I'm trying to get a few of my mates to Rockingham, it's a anti-clockwise circuit so I can wear out the other side of my tyre!;-)

Actually I need a new rear after two sessions at Snet and a couple at Brands (all evening).

One of my mates has a NC24 400cc, so doesn't like long straights.... nor do I actually!

There's a Sunday session with Hottrax at Rockingham on the 21st Sept (I think)... aiming for that one....

Got a question about brake fluid.

I've recently upgraded the MC to the SP1 MC. I also sanded off the shine to my pads (Ferrodo Array cooled - expensive and very good). However, after the first session at Snetterton, which seemed a very long time, more than the 20mins if you ask me, my lever started to get nearer and nearer to the grip. I replaced the brake fluid with some silkolene/FUCS DOT4 (5.30GBP) and bled it correctly, including tying the lever to the handle for a couple of days. Do you think the extra brake movement is due to the cheap brake fluid becoming less efficient as it heated up? Any recommendations?
gilson

Post by gilson »

Also, where's Lydden Hill?
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Not sure about your brakes mate... although I had a similar problem with mine a while back. I found adjusting the span thingy outwards a touch more & tying the lever back overnight actually cured the problem for me!?!

... oh & http://www.lyddenhill.co.uk

They just announced a new date on 13th Sept, which I might possibly do if the weather looks ok & funds permit! Will have to see tho...
gilson

Post by gilson »

I'm interested in the next date on the 11th Oct... could be fund if it's not raining, looks like a really nice track...

Thanks
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

I have just booked onto the Donington day for Saturday 20th (waiting confirmation).

Anyone off here going???
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
gilson

Rockingham

Post by gilson »

Just did Rockingham on Sunday. It was a blast. The national circuit is very good, with hardly any straights, which really separates those IL4 from the V-Twins, (V-twins winning of course!).

It also had it's moments too, I think a total of 3 people went to hospital, one in a helicopter... I really hope they are all OK.

Great track though, recommended.

Maybe Donnington next, if not a cheapy at Brands.....
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Ahem, clicky

Not a happy bunny, but my own fault for pressing too hard on Pilot Road2 tyres :oops: :(
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
gilson

Post by gilson »

Can't view the link, not a member of that forum. Post them here?

I can guess what it is, but I hope you are OK... bike is always fixable.

I hope the guys that hurt themselves were OK....