number plate size

General Biker Banter
doggit

number plate size

Post by doggit »

hi yall, i have just bought myself a number plate, but not sure if i am just asking for trouble off the old bill, it measures 28cm x 5cm and not sure if i should fit it, does anyone have the similar size plate, and if so do you get a lot of plod attention,
doggit
The most affective way to turn petrol into noise without the side affect of horse power
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

I think you're asking for trouble at that sort of size, they really don't seem to like plates that arn't the standard oblong proportions. I have a 7x5 on mine and I've not had any bother, it's small enough not to ruin the lines of the bike but big enough to seem to keep them happy :)

It's hard to look cool carrying toilet roll.
lee67

Post by lee67 »

i always buy a 7x5"..as above small enough to help in the looks , but big enough for plod...mine even passes the mot still on :D .....just bought an HARLEY!!!..and im fitting a black plate now, see how long it is before im pulled..alltho harleys seem to get ignored by fuzz :lol: ..and these pipes are mega loud 8)
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Timbo wrote:
Now, to my point, the above posts are good to read as i have just received my 7x5 for the ZRX and hadnt fitted it cos it looks really small. I had a slightly larger plate on my old storm and went smaller this time, then shat it and didnt fit it :)
:lol: :lol:
Stevie
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Although I totally agree that the smaller plate looks infinately better I just dont need another reason to be pulled. So industrial placard it is then :x
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
clack

Post by clack »

I've seen a glut of small plates on bikes in London recently, perhaps they're just not worrying about it down here. I have a 7X5 which seems to fit the bill.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

7X5 on mine too. Small enough imo. With the exhaust Ive got on the buell I dont want to cause anymore unwanted attention :lol:
doggit

Post by doggit »

thanx everyone, have just ordered another plate, and decided to go with the majority and have a 7 x 5 :D and will leave the tiny one at home
doggit
The most affective way to turn petrol into noise without the side affect of horse power
fishface

Post by fishface »

7x5 on my bike no problemo :wink:
AndyE

Post by AndyE »

Mine's 7x5 too. Bought on ebay a couple of weeks ago, it fits nicely between the high-level pipes and doesn't look *too* blatantly illegal.
lee67

Post by lee67 »

CHICKEN :roll: :wink:
Max

Post by Max »

A couple of summers ago the Plod around here had a purge on illegal plates. They would stop an offender and confiscate the plate, issuing the 3 points or what ever it is. Then the nice boys in Blue would wait around the corner for Mr motorcyclist to ride his bike past with no plate on, as he probably didnt have a spare on him and then do him for loads of stuff.
Max

Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

We have three bikes between us (my son and me) and all have number plates just big enough to display the standard size letters with about 1/2 inch (that 12mm to you under 40s!) clearance to edge of the plate.

Never had a problem with them.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.