Sore neck from Storm

General Bike chat
Giddsy

Sore neck from Storm

Post by Giddsy »

Hi all,

Hate saying this as I feel like a right pansy complaining of neck ache! :oops:

Anyways, I've only had my storm a few months and am really enjoying it. Unfortunately, over the last couple of weeks I have had an extremely painful neck and headache to the point I had to take time off work and see a chiropractor. I've never had any problems like this before. He reckons the likely cause is the riding position on the Storm as I do a few miles on it, roughly 300 a week. Previously I had a bandit and again suffered no problems.

Have any of you mob had similar problems? And do you reckon raising the bars would help? I know it is meant to help with wrist ache but I haven't had a problem with my wrists. Raising it less than 2cm seems pretty minimal to me.

Cheers for your advice.

James
balls

Re: Sore neck from Storm

Post by balls »

If you lower the seat it makes a massive difference I would think combined with raising the bars u should find it a lot better :D And theirs nothing wrong with being a pansy LOL :lol:
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

First thing I'd access is the way you sit on the bike-not the seat, rearsets etc, but the way you are holding your body.

If your relying too much on your wrists, lower back or shoulders the head/neck pains might be coming from that.

My right leg locked terribly on the last bike I had. turned out to be my hip abductor-but the pain I was receiving came from a weak lower back. I saw a physio where I work (work in a college sport department) snd she told me to stretch off before riding any distance. This has helped massively...plus the Buell has a better riding posistion too.

You might have already been down this route, if so, like balls has said look at a seat, adjustable rear sets or risers. Firestorm Mike has bad back troubles so I'm sure he'll advise. I know VTRbob fitted a straight bar conversion to his storms.

HTH

John
SP1's rock!
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Thanks for the replies all.

I have been off the bike for a week or so but when back on I will be doing stretches beforehand John. Hopefully this will help.

Lowering the seat sounds interesting Balls but being 6 foot this is likely to then lead to knee ache! Not sure what I like less...? 8O

So sounds like the GB moto solution in the first instance. Gotta be worth a shot and not too expensive either.

TTFN
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I did a lot of miles on my Storm, Used it as an every day bike for about Six years.
I didn't go the double bubble route but went the flip up version. Initially this was for better weather protection but a side effect was a better air flow around my shoulders and head.
Might be worth a try.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

James,
Only a suggestion, but I found I needed to tip my head further back due to my old helmet needed replacing. The inside of the old helmet were badly worn making it a lose fit, so consequently it sat lower down on my forehead, hence the need to tilt my head back further to be able to see ahead.

The new helmet being a good fit now sits higher up on my fore head (as it should), so I don't need to tilt my head back so far.

Chris.
adfski

Post by adfski »

sirch345 wrote:James,
Only a suggestion, but I found I needed to tip my head further back due to my old helmet needed replacing. The inside of the old helmet were badly worn making it a lose fit, so consequently it sat lower down on my forehead, hence the need to tilt my head back further to be able to see ahead.

The new helmet being a good fit now sits higher up on my fore head (as it should), so I don't need to tilt my head back so far.

Chris.
I agree Chris. I thought it was the design of my new helmet but I think you might be closer to the truth.

I get a sore throttle hand as well but I find that if I keep my arms bent (or not locked straight!), and lean into the bike a bit more It feels much better. Try stretching and moving your position a bit to see if it eases.

Also I like the leathers to stick to the tank more. In jeans I find I have no support. If your wearing touring gear try that nobbly stuff on the tank!

:)
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"