remavable baffles

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ixworth stormer

remavable baffles

Post by ixworth stormer »

hi, has anyone tried the after market removable baffles ,decibel eaters or what ever they are called.easy to fit?,and do they work,and also do they look ok ,I have moriwaki titanium zero cans which are possibly bordering on offensive,and would like to muffle them a bit.
marravtr

Re: remavable baffles

Post by marravtr »

8O loud is good :biggrin but if its bothering you earplugs are cheaper :biggrin
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
ixworth stormer

Post by ixworth stormer »

I DONT MIND THE NOISE,NEIGHBOURS AND WILDLIFE DO
WireWalker

Post by WireWalker »

I also would like to benefit from anyones experience of these things as I'm in the same situation as the Ixworth Stormer. I've been on Google all afternoon and I've just had a reply from Scorpion exhausts who are happy to help it seems but will need me to send a picture so they can identify which type is needed as there are apparently 12 different ones.

Fitting wise it appears across the board that you drill a 4-6mm hole in the bottom of the spout, site the baffle in the can and then fix it in place with a bolt in the aforementioned hole. Sounds simple enough.

Ixworth, I am looking at an auction on ebay also, it's the guys from Performance Racing Parts, they make custom exhaust systems and fabricate their own DB Killers for around a tenner a pop and £4 postage. I'll probably pay for the actual Scorpion ones if I can get them but I have this as a backup.

Also on the experience thing, I'm concerned about MoT time so I'm curious how much they muffle at tickover speed as most good reports come from flyby's at racing circuits.
"The future is Orange"
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Also on the experience thing, I'm concerned about MoT time so I'm curious how much they muffle at tickover speed as most good reports come from flyby's at racing circuits.
Not really the issue, as they don't record decibels but if the exhausts say they are not for road use they shouldn't pass.

Most reasonable MOT testers couldn't give a stuff if you leave the baffles out of cans which are properly BS marked for road use. Two different ones have said they couldn't care less!

I have Scorpions and never bother to put the baffles in. Goes and sounds much better :D
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I have straight-through Carbon Can Co cans, no baffles at all, and all the wadding has blown out years ago.

I can't do track days, as the reading a couple of weeks ago at Brands was 107.5dB- way over what they'd let sneak in.

But they suggested DB killers, as they said in their experience this would drop mine to below 105dB, which means some track days would be ok.

Tell you what, though- when you're "making progress" on the M25 between two coaches they sound lovely!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
WireWalker

Post by WireWalker »

Stratman wrote:
Not really the issue, as they don't record decibels but if the exhausts say they are not for road use they shouldn't pass.

Most reasonable MOT testers couldn't give a stuff if you leave the baffles out of cans which are properly BS marked for road use. Two different ones have said they couldn't care less!

I have Scorpions and never bother to put the baffles in. Goes and sounds much better :D
Good advice Stratman! I went out and asked at a couple of places what constituted a fail and apart from an obviously leaky exhaust it would be the presence of any "Race Only" markings. Apparently the advice on noise is too subjective as it's in regard to how the tester views the actual noise from a specific bike eg. It's a big bike so it would be noisy, but is it too noisy? So most don't really form opinions. Also they said with the E standard replacing the BS standard they no longer look for marks identifying the exhaust as legal, only the aforementioned illegal markings.

I'm still going to chase up the baffles and get the MoT done as early as possible but it doesn't seem like there will be any issues :D

Thanks for the advice.
"The future is Orange"
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I had decibel killers fitted on the Storm and they do bu**er all in the way of noise reduction but they do divert the Police away from your cans if stationary. I can only speak for the items fitted to my bike though. They are about 5 inches long and are attached by an allen key std grub screw through the tail pipe.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'