Shock spacer

General Bike chat
goody

Shock spacer

Post by goody »

Anyone tried a shock spacer to raise the rear end? I'd like to quicken the steering a bit sometimes it feels a bit reluctant to turn in. There's someone selling 3mm spacers on ebay and the site Beamish found recommends 6mm but that was on the track. Thinking about it as I type I suppose that I could drop the yokes to get the same effect. Has anyone played around with the geometry to positive effect?
stormingjoe

Re: Shock spacer

Post by stormingjoe »

talk to roger at revolution :bowdown: , memory serves....6mm front drop and 4mm rear with modified forks! :thumbup: :Shrug: :thumbup: wants to turn corners then maybe a little eagerly in the wet
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

i had a 6mm lift on the rear worked quite well but forks needed work too :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Frontslide

Post by Frontslide »

Got a 3mm in mine but its not enough :cool2
firestarter1977

Post by firestarter1977 »

ive got 3mm on the rear , yoke dropped 6mm .

linear forksprings 7.5wt oil, spacer cutdown and taper ground , forget the airgap now .

turns in quick , sometimes too quick has caught me out a few times but wont change it as its good for the real twisty stuff !

regards mark

the thunder rolls on!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'm currently running 7.5 wt oil, with a 135mm air gap (thanks, Roger). WP springs fitted.

Had spacers sitting in the garage for ages, but not fitted them, perhaps today's the day.

I sort of expected the fronts to bottom out more, but TBH they don't, (except on deep potholes halfway round corners), and I prefer the action compared to heavier oil.

Less jarring on the wrists.

But I've got some 10 wt sitting in the garage, so one sunny day when I'm bored I'll do a comparison back-to-back.

Going heavier was an option, but the damping in the standard fronts isn't great, and so I felt that the oil can do some of the work, if you see what I mean.

Getting there, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

6mm for me... comes highly recommended :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Goody,
The problem with fitting a shock spacer is you're putting more weight on to the already soft front fork springs by raising the rear end. Depending on your body weight and how aggressive you ride, if you don't experience the forks bottoming out (assuming your bike has the standard fork springs) already, you may get away with a 3mm spacer.

I did try a 3mm spacer on my bike, but I do have upgraded front forks modified by Roger Ditchfield (Revolution UK), so bottoming out is not an issue.

Raising the rear end with a 3mm spacer on top of the shock works out at approximately 12mm rise in seat height.

Chris.
goody

Post by goody »

I'll give the spacer thing a go, nothing to lose. The only times I've noticed the forks bottoming is hitting speed bumps and potholes, which is not nice fells like somethings going to break!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Lets us know how it goes :)

Chris.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I use a 4.5mm and found it one of the best/cheapest mods ever on an FS! :clap:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

4.5mm sounds like a good compromise LSM, any ideas where I can get one made up as I've only seen 3mm or 6mm ones...

Thanks
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

I put a 5mm spacer on my bike,at the same time as fitting grease nipples to the lower bushes (well worth doing)...Cheers ChrisC :thumbup:
Phil-VTwin

Post by Phil-VTwin »

I took mine off today and as soon as i get back too the workshop its going back on!!!!

The spacer had always been there, it was a 3mm one and makes a hell of a difference, its a very quick job to fit so IMHO.... GET ONE :lol:
Ride Safe
Phil
rst steve

Post by rst steve »

I got 6mm on mine and it does turn in quicker. Got a load of these in the shed in differant thickness's that someone on here made for me for free so if anyone wants one drop me a p.m might be able to sort you out. Obviously dont want anything for them trying to return the favour. :D