Please help. Tyres

General Biker Banter
jedi

Please help. Tyres

Post by jedi »

This is my first storm and my back tyre needs replacing can anyone tell me what the best tyre to buy and how much I should be paying. :crazy:
Kitch

Re: Please help. Tyres

Post by Kitch »

Best? The one that matches whatever's on the front. Profiles and compounds will vary between brands and models though some mixing is possible. Some folks are happy to mix tyres, but that's your choice and your risk.

I'm really rating Michellin Pilot Road 2 - excellent mileage and grip. Bridgestone BT021 are favoured by some too. Avon Storm ST were ok and a fair bit cheaper though I might try a set of the new Dunlop Qualifier 2s when I change mine. High grip sports rubber can last as few as 1000 miles like the Bridgestone BT014 I destroyed in one weekend. Last Pilot Road 2 I had did 9,000 miles.

For a rear only, Michellin is around £140 fitted, BT021 for £130 and Avon for £120. Will probably work out better to get a pair deal and put a new front on as well. It'll be more like £200 but you'll save a bit overall.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
goody

Post by goody »

If you type the sizes in to ebay i.e. 180 55 17 there should be a few tyre deals come up. Watling sell on there but you have to go to their Catford branch if you want them fitted. I got a Dunlop fitted to the back for £84. Think you can get pairs of Maxxis or Contis for around £130 then sort out your own fitting.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

obviously its personal choice at the end of the day.. its what ever you feel confident with.
and as kitch already pointed out matching tyres is always a rull of thumb.. would be like wearing odd shoes, yes you can do it but it dont feel right if the shoe soles are different.

if your wanting an all round tyre the bridgestones bt021's i can recommend. i have had some serious mileage out of my rear and still plenty left on it.
never had any issues on them.. my bike is my main means of transport.. if it becomes a play thing then i would opt for a more sporty tyre..
donk

Post by donk »

Eh up,

Im a bridgesone man, If you want the mileage go for the 021s if you want grippy the 014s.

I had 021s on, when they were knackered i replaced them with 014s, this was just before a trackday.
:p I managed to get a trackday and proberly 2 rideouts then they were knackered. I guess your tyre choice will be down to how you ride.

Just promise me you wont go for continentals!!!!! (sorry to those who have them on)!! :biggrin
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I've tried allsorts on different bikes through from Maxxis to Dunlops.

Best I've tried for grip and turn in/profile (road wise) were Pirelli Diablo Corsa's-but I barely got 1100 miles from them :biggrin Avons offer really good value and decent grip levels all year round. I found they displaced water well too.

At the minute I'm running Pilot 2's and I'm really impressed.

I never get on with Dunlops tbh-they always feel neither here nor there to me :thumbdown: each to there own I suppose.
SP1's rock!
yorkshirepuddin

Post by yorkshirepuddin »

i cant comment on various tyres but what i can say is that i changed mine to a bridgstone battleaxe and it certainly delivers in the corners, very trustworthy.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Metzler racetecs :biggrin Do 1000 miles and smile for 999 of them :biggrin (the other mile is dragging it out of the garage and pulling up for petrol)
If you know someone that races go the sticky route if not Bridgestone 021s.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Avon Storms AV45/46. Run them for years and can't fault them. Just put them on my TDM too and I keep touching down, they are so much better than the old Metzelers were.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

FirestormMike wrote:BT-021's were on my storm too, and I currently have Avon Storm-STs on the SP.
Even though they're a sport-touring tyre, the Avons were recommended to me by my tyre fitter due to their grip and longevity.
I have to say I cannot fault them at all, they grip extremely well. Ok, they may not turn in quite as fast as a balls out sports tyre would, but I can't perform for 100% of what a sports tyre would give me anyway.
I paid £100 for a rear fitted.
I run Avon Storm's too recommended by Stratman many moon's ago :thumbup: for their grip and longevity as you were Mike. I cannot fault them either :!:

Getting back to the orignal question, matched pairs are most likely to be your best bet IMHO as already mentioned,

Chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I've got an unmatched pair on my Bandit 12 ,a Michelin Macadam on the rear and a Bridgestone Battleaxe BT020 on the front ,must say,touch wood ,i've never had a "moment" with them being unmatched .
Don't get me wrong,i never push it in the wet ,cos it's allways at the back of my mind that the tyres are unmatched .For normal road riding ,ive never had a problem.

These tyres were on my bike when i bought it and both were new tyres ,but if it was myself needing to replace one tyre ,i'd go for a matched pair every time :)
Stevie
mwross1964

Post by mwross1964 »

bridgestone bt's or dunlop d207 or d209's

mark.
anything with wheels or tits is gonna cost ya money.
but who needs money
jedi

Post by jedi »

Many Thanks to everyone :thumbup: