WORKSHOP DAY.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

WORKSHOP DAY.

Post by tony.mon »

A couple of people have asked for help/support/guidance with doing some work on their bikes, particularly fitting manual CCT's, valve clearances and carb balancing.
Having done these things a few times I don't mind hosting a workshop day at my place for anyone who wants to drop by.

I'd be happy to share some knowledge on doing this; I'm in Kent near Brands Hatch.

The only thing with clearances is the need for the right shims; but I expect we could get round that one way or another.
I recall seeing a shim selection set available somewhere- anyone else seen this? I believe the shims are not unique, certainly they fit other Hondas but I think they're also suitable for other makes of bike- Kawasaki springs to mind but not sure on this.

And sadly I could also show how to rebuild the top end after a CCT/bent valve occurrence!

All welcome, bring your own tools (spanners, a small socket set and screwdrivers, and any parts you need) and I'll supply the rest, including large sockets etc.
If you're local enough to drop a paddock stand off beforehand that might be a good idea; I only have one set. First come first blagged

A Saturday has to be the favourite, as then the local dealers are open in case of an accidental snappage or problem, although I have quite a few spares of one kind or another.

We'll need a to set aside a full day, just in case of problems and delays, suggest a 10 o/c arrival at TN15 6RA; I can send directions to anyone who needs them. I'd imagine we'll be done by mid-afternoon.

Although there's a bit of cover (enough for one bike only) you'll be working outside, so if it's very rainy it'll have to be postponed.

If you want in, then cut'n'paste this bit into your reply with your name next to dates you can do:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So all we need is a date; put your names on a list with dates available:

Good Friday 2nd April:
(but shops not open if there's a problem)

Sat 3rd April:(Easter w/e)

Sat Sat 10th April:

Sat 1st May:

Sat 8th May:

Or if you can get the day off, any weekday next week would be fine, M-TH leading up to Good Friday.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If anyone from further afield wants to join in the fun, oil, swearing and nut-rounding PM me; an overnight might be possible.

All welcome, whether you want to do any work on your bike or not. There should be time for a ride-out afterwards.

This might just turn out to be a right laugh!

Tony
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vtrnut

Re: WORKSHOP DAY.

Post by vtrnut »

Sounds like a great day to me. Great offer by tony to offer your time and help others out :clap: :clap:

Only wish I could go......but telling the misses im nippin out for a quick spin might not cut it :lol:
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

I agree it is a very fine offer... top man! :thumbup:

These days are good for me:

Sat 10th April:

Sat 1st May:

Sat 8th May:

Cheers
Giddsy

Post by Giddsy »

Come on guys this is a great idea and offer... shirley there must be more of ya up for it???
warby221

Post by warby221 »

tony.mon wrote:
The only thing with clearances is the need for the right shims; but I expect we could get round that one way or another.
I recall seeing a shim selection set available somewhere- anyone else seen this? I believe the shims are not unique, certainly they fit other Hondas but I think they're also suitable for other makes of bike- Kawasaki springs to mind but not sure on this.
got a shim set myself two boxes with about 40 plus shims in them
but if your looking for a set for yourself sit down before you order one :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
its big----- its red ------its throbbing and it’s a thousand CC
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

I'm up for it. Will check the dates when I get home tonight.
Will come down in the van with the bike in the back.

Waiting for my CCT's to arrive.
Will have some exhaust to look at and maybe fit,including the DB killers purchased from Ebay.
Pipercross air filter
Dynojet carb kit to look over

So I should be able to bring down a bike bench, two rear and one front paddock stands.
Also a very large paddock tent.

Regards,

Stephen
"Only one life, so live it and ride a motorcycle"
matt1966

Post by matt1966 »

Hi am defo interested in coming to your workshop day am only in Essex
I can do any Saturday, has a date been sorted.
Matt.
bogof

Post by bogof »

I'm def interested in this, not necessarily to do anything to my bike but just to learn my way round it would help :D

I can do either the 10th April or 8th May
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ok, looks like this is a runner, so I'll wait for a few more availability dates to come in and pick a day- a Saturday seems most likely.

Styler, you're very welcome; that lot'll make life easier!

There's plenty of room for a bit of cover-but (I should have thought of it earlier) I have a 3M by 9M small marquee which I can put up if it looks like rain, so we have room to work.
It only take 1/2 hour to put up, so I'll do it in the morning before anyone's here if necessary.

April 10th is only a week away; but I'm up for that if anyone can make it- please confirm ASAP. (Not a Bank Holiday, so weather should be ok!)
matt1966

Post by matt1966 »

Hi. I am ok for the 10th but will prob just observe as my manual CCT's have been delayed ( Paypal messing about sent an echeque whatever that is instead of
paying instant ). Hope you all dont mind me peering over your shoulders :crazy: .
Matt
chojindan

Post by chojindan »

What an awesome idea! I'd be up for the 10th april (or *any* saturday for that matter), i've just started learning about doing my own servicing after years of just palming my bikes off to a dealer - so a helping hand would be absolutely fantastic!

Sat Sat 10th April: Yup

Sat 1st May: Yup

Sat 8th May: Yup
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

These are OK for me and a mate:

Sat 10th April:

Sat 1st May:

Sat 8th May:

Two bikes, mine for manual CCT's and a mates for carb balance.

We can drive down in a van if need be with a table or ride down, up to you Tony

Thanks anyway
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

OK, Saturday 10th is on for the first day.
I've been holding fire to make sure there'll be at least one set of manual CCT's to fit, as this is the main job that people want to do.

10am start at my house, plenty of parking for bikes, cars or vans.

I don't think we'll need a table lift, although if you want to bring one that's ok.

PM me for the full address, if you want directions I can supply if you let me have your e-mail address as well.

All welcome, whether you're working on your bikes or just voyeurs, hoping for a hammer/thumb moment with your camera at the ready!

Please bring a set of small sockets (up to 14mm will do) and your own screwdrivers and hex drivers/keys, I have everything else, including carb balancer.

One thing, you'll need to make sure that you've loosened the inspection cap and crankshaft centre cap on the LH engine cover- I have no spares, and if they get broken trying to get them off you're walking home!
So loosen them yourselves and then just nip them up with a bit of silicon sealer to make sure we don't have a problem on the day.

So here's what you need to do:
PM me and let me know what jobs you want to do, confirm that you have the necessary bits, and ask any questions.
I'll PM you back with the address and directions if you need them.

Please let me know if you're planning to turn up to work on your bike, as otherwise we stand around for an hour waiting for someone who changed their mind :whatever
But watchers welcome any time.
Styler4077

Post by Styler4077 »

No CCT's and no chance by Saturday.
But me and my mate will still ride down.
Carbs for him and me it is then.......

Look forward to it what ever happens and what ever we do.....

Send email to me with your address. styler4077 at hotmail dot com

Cheers..

Stephen
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

make sure someone gets a vid of the carb balancing please - got gauges but would like to see where you take off on the rear carb... and what sort of vacuum to expect.
by saturday mine will be completely stripped, or possibly 1/2 rebuilt depending how i get on.

have fun!!! :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.