Cleaning and detailing

General Bike chat
voodoo-music

Cleaning and detailing

Post by voodoo-music »

Well to be honest its gonna sound stupid but how do you go about cleaing and detailing abike. I have done may cars but wondered what you guys do to keep your machine clean and what products you use

I cant seem to find a thread that helps with this :oops:
99 VTR1000 - Scotoiler - Datatool Indicator - Meta Alarm - Kappa Luggage
cupasoop
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning and detailing

Post by cupasoop »

voodoo-music wrote:I cant seem to find a thread that helps with this :oops:
What do you reckon that tells you?

Just ride faster and the dirt will blow off :thumbup:
Rich.

marravtr

Post by marravtr »

soapy water, shammy, mr sheen, done! :thumbup: off out to play and get covered in fly guts again :twisted:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

Soapy water then dry it off.I then use Meguiars polish followed by Megs carnauba wax for a sparkling finish :thumbup:
vtrbarmy

Post by vtrbarmy »

Depends how detailed you want to be. Th eonly way to really clean inside out is to strip your bike down, clena and polish, and refit.

For general clean, Auto Glym Engine Cleaner for the engine, followed by a nice hot soapy wash using Turtle Wax Triple Wax, After that liberal use of Meguiars products gives truly excellent results, esp if applied and polished off with good quality micro fibre cloths.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

what do you mean by detailing???
i take that to mean like colouring in the bolts and being anal about minor things.
one thing i hate is chips and stubborn marks on the edges of panels, fairings etc.
i find these are the bits that get knocked most and take the welly when you go overboard with the elbow grease, so i ordered a roll of this stuff:
http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/satin-black- ... u-66-p.asp

i think it was actually the cheaper u channel rubber, but you get the idea - really sets off the edges as well, particularly in the recesses like the cutout around the rads etc.
no pics yet as ive only done half of it & it's gone dark.

hopefully no more niggly paintchips and bits flaking off!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
voodoo-music

Post by voodoo-music »

After a day of deep cleaning im very happy with the results, took ages but with a brush and some wd40, soapy water and some trutle wax it came up really nice. Took the honda stickers off the seat hump and removed the thing that was on the front of the tank, not sure what it was, some kind of padded sticker but i didnt like it.

Ready for a ride out tomorrow, pics and a video

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

voodoo-music wrote:removed the thing that was on the front of the tank, not sure what it was, some kind of padded sticker but i didnt like it.
flat baldrocks r us :Ball Kick:
you mean the tank protector???
if it is you should get another - one that you like.
silvers have some nice honda & HRC pads cheap.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
voodoo-music

Post by voodoo-music »

yeh it must be the tank protector, looks like a vertibra style. Was a red one and it looked ok nut i like subtle so if another one goes on it will be black i reckon
snipper

Post by snipper »

very rarely wash mine ........... tend to just use car polish to clean the dirt off

finish off with turtle wax ICE( works on black plastic great ) then a coat of carnuba wax

and metal finishes i use auto sol :thumbup: