Flip Helmets........available soon at Lidls!!!

General Biker Banter
LotusSevenMan

Flip Helmets........available soon at Lidls!!!

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Come with a three year warranty (whatever that can be) and a spare visor, cheek pads and a cloth helmet bag it says

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg//SID ... IDNOTFOUND
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
ChrisC

Re: Flip Helmets........available soon at Lidls!!!

Post by ChrisC »

Thanks for the info LSM, Have you or anybody out there had one of these helmets,any idea who makes them,and are they any good ? Cheers ChrisC
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

i had a look at some caberg flip lids, low end jobbies - very flimsy.
i could twist the back round.
i would hope the lidl ones are better quality - not for me sorry - ive only got one head and i'd like to keep it this shape!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Benny, Are you sure you want your head to remain that shape ? ....After your not so resent antics over Rivvi way we were all begining to wonder :D
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Less than £40 for a flp up helmet? 8O

Meh...I think I'll stick to me Shoei.......if you have a £40 head and all that.
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Used a Caberg for touring on the TDM for the last couple of years - really good IMHO and they pass all the tests anyway.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Zakalwe wrote:Less than £40 for a flp up helmet? 8O

Meh...I think I'll stick to me Shoei.......if you have a £40 head and all that.
"Ah" thats the second time iv'e had a price on my head!.....Think i'll leave it on the shelf...the helmet...not the head
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hey Timbo, probably safer wearing the tin of beans...hope i can get one my size :thumbup
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

WARNING WARNING

Cheap flip helmets are NOT tested as full face helmet. They are tested as an open face helmet with and extended visor. (a visor is only tested by fireing a ball bearing at it)
This information came from the Arai and Shoe rep that used to supply the bike shop I used to teach for. This is why when Shoe first bought out it's syncrotech helmet it was dellayed by 9 months because they didn't get it through FULL FACE testing straight away.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

try riding with one over 70 lol - noisy as crouton unless you buy a £450 shoei.
look over your shoulder and they try to pull your head off.
you get off looking like plug off beano.
ive not seen the lidl ones but the cheaper - up to 200 notes flip lids are garbage - very flimsy and flexy round the sides.
crash with a full face lid you've still got a full face.
crash with a open face lid....
flip top lid....

be it on your own head lol :roll:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Fireman on a Storm wrote:WARNING WARNING

Cheap flip helmets are NOT tested as full face helmet. They are tested as an open face helmet with and extended visor. (a visor is only tested by fireing a ball bearing at it)
This information came from the Arai and Shoe rep that used to supply the bike shop I used to teach for. This is why when Shoe first bought out it's syncrotech helmet it was dellayed by 9 months because they didn't get it through FULL FACE testing straight away.
Ahh! Interesting. :thumbup:
So, if I'm out looking at flip up lids how do I find out what sort of reglulatory test it's undertaken, flip up or full?
Are they marked/stamped in some way? My present one is ACU approved and has a TUV sticker on it but I don't see anything to indicate open or full face testing :?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

I've got a Roof boxer Pete-I think it has a slightly different EC number (marking, or whatever you want to call it...) to a full face lid.

I personally wouldn't pay £40 for a full, flip or open face helmet-you pay's your money and all that :)

Saying that-I do have a range of full face bash hats and a flip-as stated above.

The Roof fits nice generally but I wouldn't say its brilliant helmet. Its put together well enough but the visor can be slightly annoying-not sitting 100% shut when closed-and it's hard to flip the chin bar round to the closed position if the visor is slightly open :evil:

But that doesn’t bother me tbh :) I bought it as an open face helmet-the chin bar is just an extra that won't make much difference in a smash. I wouldn't be fooled into thinking full face helmets are totally infallible either. People still fook there faces up with those on.

Schuberth or Shoei (multitech/syncrotech) are the way to go if you want a really good full face/flip helmet with all the bells and whistles.
SP1's rock!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Cheers Jb,
Not really thinking of one for myself but my brother inlaw has one and I was just looking for another angle to shoot him down in flames the next time he witters on about how great a bargain he's got or why I should buy the same as him :lol: Don't give a toss really, got to admit to being a bit of a price snob though, if the fit is right, and the price is in my range I'll have it. At the same time you wont catch me paying £600 just because it's a Rossi rep or something like that 8O

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Well, you can find some 'BIG NAMES' on these tests that don't do too well really so ????????????

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

I mean a Shoei that is 420ukp and only gets three stars?
Aria (my usual helmets) aren't that great but look at the 150ukp HJC FG15?
Check yours out!!!

Was gonna say "check your helmet" but thought better of it.................... ooops damn said it!!!!

As a PS, it was the fact that my full face helmet's chinbar caught the armco that snapped it back and broke my neck some 32 years ago, so a flip-up type might (perhaps) have given a bit and done me more facial damage but without the broken neck so ?????????
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Did the test, my Shark is a 4* yeah!!
ABB
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!