Tell me why

General Biker Banter
Kev L

Tell me why

Post by Kev L »

Hi to you all.
I am new to this site and have joined partly for some advice and guidance. I have ridden (legally) since I was 16 on a variety of formats, singles, twins, triples and fours, with the majority recently being fours. All have been Japanese, as the Brit industry was in decline by the time I got involved. Oh almost forgot the short foray into Eastern Europe (Jawa, CZ & MZ) hateful things, apart from the MZ. :crazy:
So now the guidance part, what are the advantages of a V twin, and specifically the Storm? I have read loads of articles over the years but I am interested to hear from you guys who have made the transition, the positives and negatives of the V twin compared to the UJM format.
I have a Yamah FZR750RT Genesis at the moment, how does the riding position compare on a Storm to this?

Will it increase my sex appeall to be seen on a Storm!!! Cos it could do with some assistance. :D

Which is the best model, 1st or 2nd generation and when was the change made.

Sorry if that's a whole bucketload of questions for a first post, but as a V twin virgin I am a bit nervous of dropping a ricket,

Top site by the way, cheers :beer:

Kev L
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Beamish

Re: Tell me why

Post by Beamish »

Sounds like a cop out but you need to ride one, compared to the FZ they are like chalk and cheese.
The Storm is quite softly sprung but handles quite well to be honest, the motor is great, loads of low down grunt and lots of engine braking. It has its weak points but they are few (Cam Chain Tensioners and poor regulator/rectifier ) Both are easily fixed for little cash layout. Take one out for a run, give it at least a 40 mile blat, 20 miles min stop, brew then jump on again. This should give you chance to adjust to the fuelling/power/engine braking.
Good luck.
PS only the SP VTRs make you attractive to women :biggrin well............ok they dont either .....but who cares when he SP rides this well :beer: :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

firestorm = damn good fun to ride, very pointy squirty and very wheelyable if you like that sort of thing.
if it's a commuter you want i'd say don't bother.
if you're looking for a bike where you can use all it's power on the road then bingo :D

also stacks of parts and mods available, very easy to work on and you can pick them up for peanuts.
i reckon you will soon forget the yam :biggrin

and you're wrong jim - storms get you shags. especially white ones :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Thanks very much for the quick response chaps. The Mrs doesn't want me to get a white one now :wink:
There was a beauty parked outside Bikestop in Stevenage today, white with a custom finish, but I didn't have the opportunity to stop and gawp.
The bike will be used for the crack with a bit of a commute, not into a major town (Harlow) and some touring. I have always used soft luggage and whatever bike I have, rather than the BMW with wardrobes fitted.
What about the model change over. Is the larger tank the only advantage?
Did anyone go to the Help for Heroes run in Abergaveney on Sunday? I was there with my better half for a break and came across the car park full of bikes. Only saw VTR's on the road, none in the car park. Don't know whether that makes them hardcore or anti social!!! :D

Kev L
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Kev L wrote: There was a beauty parked outside Bikestop in Stevenage today, white with a custom finish, but I

Kev L
8O :Banned: :Ball Kick:

the later model 02? onwards has 19L tank, slightly different handlebars (bit higher and further forward for a more relaxed position) a half digital dash with digi speedo and fuel gauge compared to the older red light of death, and honda's HISS immobiliser thingy

and different decals, slight variation in colours. i think the gunmetal one was introduced in 02 with a different blue, red and yellow.
insurance might be slightly lower cos of the HISS system.

oh and they are slower. :beer:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
chi kung

Post by chi kung »

I use mine for commuting daily and weekend blasts. I dont think i would find another bike so suited to me.

They are great real world road bikes and with a few simple mods they become demon road bikes.

The small tank is not an issue for me to be honest. The low down and midrange grunt makes perfect sense on the road, as the power is right where you need it.

Try one you will love it.

Thats my opinion and you are all welcome to it.
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

My bike before 'Stormy was a ZX7R - big smash, no more sports bikes for Clivey...

So, as a compromise, Stormy is awesome, ridiculously loud with the Stubby cans, masses of grunt and very responsive - instant torque!

Tank range would be an issue except I have to get off and stand within 100 miles anyway! Handling is OK - it doesn't have the front end the 7 had, it never stood a chance in the battle, but it's pretty compliant, and doesn't tie itself into (too many) knots....

Build quality is loads better (regs and CCTs aside)

I mix riding between a 150 mile commute home at weekends, then 100 miles of ragging it senseless....

I've got Bridgestone BT023s on at mo, as I would shred anything sportier - until I find work in Brum, then BT014s or similar and Ill trop a tooth off the front sprocket.

I love mine soooo much I bought one for Pauline too!

:beer:
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

i dnt think I have ever seen an orange Storm! You have two! They look great mate.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'