Goose goes naked...

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Snoogle

Goose goes naked...

Post by Snoogle »

Well the time has come to do something a bit different to poor old "Goose". Some of you may have seen my thread in the for sale section - http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... =8&t=18755 but basically I'm in the early stages of streetfighting my fairly bog standard Firestorm...

This picture is how I bought the bike back in Feb last lear....

Since that picture was taken I've changed the chain and sprockets for 16/45, added some chinese knock off Pazzo style levers and braided front lines (still got the clutch line to do but will do this while the panels are off.

How she looks now.....

I'm waiting for some pics off my spray guy of what he has done so far, but as far as I can tell, the tank and the rear seat hump have been primed and are ready for some colour and most of the what is going back on has been prepped. He's coming to my house at the weekend to show me some fiberglassing, so I'll get some pics of that Sunday (weather permitting)
Plastics going back on will be a pearl white and hoping to do the frame, subframe forks etc in black. I'm contemplating wrapping the manifolds, but will do them black for now I think.
Still waiting for some stuff to come in the post so I can crack on with bits to go to the powdercoaters etc so hopefully the project will gain momentum as the week goes on. 8)

Stuff I've bought......Triumph Speed Triple fly screen/bikini fairing, Renthal braced bars, CB400 Super Four top yolk (sure somebody says they fit - if not I'll make it fit somehow :wink: ) and some fork leg mounted headlight brackets. I'm trying to find some headlights that I like the look of. Speed Triple ones are too expensive so think I'm gonna have to have a go with the Dominator ones until I can find some I really like the look of.
I'm also in the hunt for some carbon cans, or re-doing my cans with some stuff from this site http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/index.asp
Ideas on this sub-project would be most most helpful

Anyway......I'll keep the pics and stuff coming as and when I get some!

Snoogle Woogle biatches!! :beer:
A head full of fears has no room for dreams
Snoogle

Re: Goose goes naked...

Post by Snoogle »

Todays job was to get the new top yolk fitted......
I wont bore you with the pictures of the original, as I'm sure you're all fairly used to seeing what they look like.

Off with the old...

On with the new...

Well impressed with the fact that I took a plunge and they fit spot on with no worries. Next is to get some taller risers so the new bars clear the top of the suspension legs.

I'm after some advice actually, Is it worth doing that and keeping the standard suspension height and settings, or shall I just raise the legs in the yolks?! I understand that doing the latter will alter the way the bike rides, but, surely me swapping from clip ons to renthals will do that anyway?? HELP lol

Another thing to consider is that an ABM comfort kit or similar is north of £200. I've bought the yolk an bars for less than £50 and I'm sure if I had searched I could have bought all the parts needed for the conversion for even less than that!!

Top mod in my humble opinion, hope it has got some people's creative juices flowing!!

Time to site back and relax in my cocky glory!! :beer:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

drop the forks by much more than 15mm and it makes them a bit skittish at low speed... they tend to flop into corners a bit and its not a nice feeling.
good at high speed like but not for round town, especially on cold tyres :(
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

benny hedges wrote:drop the forks by much more than 15mm and it makes them a bit skittish at low speed... they tend to flop into corners a bit and its not a nice feeling.
good at high speed like but not for round town, especially on cold tyres :(
Question answered, taller risers it is! :thumbup:

Cheers Benny!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Snoogle wrote: Next is to get some taller risers so the new bars clear the top of the suspension legs.

I'm after some advice actually, Is it worth doing that and keeping the standard suspension height and settings, or shall I just raise the legs in the yolks?! I understand that doing the latter will alter the way the bike rides, but, surely me swapping from clip ons to renthals will do that anyway?? HELP lol
IMHO I would say risers is the way to go too :thumbup:

You're right doing this handle bar conversion will mean the bike handles differently. If you drop the fork legs down the yokes will mean even less weight over the front end on top of what you've lost from the more upright riding position.

Chris.
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

FirestormMike wrote:You could even fit the CB yoke over the top of the original, might look a bit gash though. :)
I did consider that, but, it looked absolutely sh1t.....other thing I thought about was the machine the bottom side of the CB yolk flat so it would sit flush on the top of the original. Then I thought about it and realise that it would only be held onto the bike by the tops of the for legs rather then and 30mm nut at the stem too.....would that work???
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

not ideal if you plan on giving the bars a yank when pulling them big wheelies!!

only way to improve that would be to put the riser bolts through both yokes and bolt the 2 together that way
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Sorted it out already to be honest, just forgot to post!! :oops:

Fitted some higher risers and it clears the tops of the suspension legs quite easily now. :thumbup:
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Couple of spy shots.........

Hoping to get it back on the road for next weekend! 8)

Wish me luck lol :lol:
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

Just gotta work out how to mount the wombles thing!! :evil:
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

Next weekend, you got a busy week!!!

are you pulling the mount of the forks or the frame?

i'll be lucky if i'm on the road by may!!!
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

It'll be comin off the forks. I dont like the look of static bikini's ;-)

Thats the biggest headache at the min, fabricating a bracket to fit it together.
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

if u want some nice little brakets on the cheap try these,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/48mm-P-Clips-x-2- ... 19c3c92f33

or mayb if you have some spare cash go down the machined way

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Harley-Indicator- ... 230e9ba63d

anyone would think i have been looking at these lately lol.
Snoogle

Post by Snoogle »

I was allowed to play with my bike today in the day light (misses took the bambino and her sister out shopping :thumbup: )

Fitted the headlight brackets and mounted some old handle bars to the risers to work out where I'm gonna need to run cables etc

Then mounted up the clocks to work out how much room I'm gonna need for cables behind clocks and lights etc

Then finally mounted the fairing to cover the back of the clocks and tidy it all up

It now all needs to come off again to tidy everything up and swap out the shitty nuts and bolts for good ones and for the fairing to be sprayed :thumbup:

You may also notice that the exhausts have been removed....will be going to get a new system tomorrow all being well :shh:

CANT WAIT!! 8)
dave-sp2

Post by dave-sp2 »

A good day was had there then fella.

You decided on a colour scheme yet?