petrol splash back on fill up

General Bike chat
h3r3t1c

petrol splash back on fill up

Post by h3r3t1c »

Is it just me or does petrol splash back out of the tank if you fill up from the left side of the bike,
some sort of rubber skirt under the fuel cap that had a slit in it would be good so you can put the
pump nozzle in and not get splashes of fuel everywhere.

stupid idea or not?
:confused
DON'T SUFFER FOOLS.... SHOOT 'EM

Suzuki GSX 750 F
Biamo Renagade
Suzuki VX800
Yamaha YZF600
Triumph T 595
Honda VF1000 F
Suzuki GSXR 750 WN
Yamaha RD 350 F2
Honda ST 1100
Kawasaki ZXR 750 L3
Honda VTR1000F
pinkyfloyd

Re: petrol splash back on fill up

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Timbo wrote:Stuff but no one paid attention because they were too busy watching the swingers in the avatar!
I agree with Timbo. The bike leans over a whole lot on the side stand and you can squeeze another good liter or so into it if you sit on the thing to refuel. I try and use the pay at pump ones so I dont even have to remove the lid. Just the gloves come off.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

i found the same thing happened to me the first time i fueled up so now i do what car drivers do and sit n wait for the left hand side pump...pay n pump is ok but when your card is copyied like my nephews and mine was last year you'll wish you'd payed cash...altho it is only 20secs to remove your helmet i've never been asked to remove mine when paying at the counter..
mark skett

Post by mark skett »

i have the same problem with splashback when filling from the left but i always stay seated and have the bike upright and always try and fill from the right. but i think this is mainly because im right handed.
if you had a rubber skirt thing in the filler hole i think you would end up flooding the place because you would be able see when the tank is getting full.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

I have no problems but then I dont have the tap on full when filling because it splashes. Takes a little longer to fill up but thats a small issue.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
h3r3t1c

Post by h3r3t1c »

I do sit the bike up, still it splashes i guess the trick is to fill it up slower!
DON'T SUFFER FOOLS.... SHOOT 'EM

Suzuki GSX 750 F
Biamo Renagade
Suzuki VX800
Yamaha YZF600
Triumph T 595
Honda VF1000 F
Suzuki GSXR 750 WN
Yamaha RD 350 F2
Honda ST 1100
Kawasaki ZXR 750 L3
Honda VTR1000F
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

fill it up with diesel instead... that doesnt splash as much :oops:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
elric

Post by elric »

Hmm this has brought two points to mind!

Splashes a bit but as above I either stick the nozzle in deeper or just fill slower.

1) I been wondering if my side stand was a tad long, the bike does not lean over enough for my liking and it does not make much difference on SS or filling it whilst astride it. I will have check some of the others at Tony's workshop day . :idea:

2) Bloody big pet hate of mine, shops and the like expecting us to take off our helmets because we might be robbers. Fuk em.
Where do people hide their guns? down their pants! so let everyone take off their pants before they go to pay instead.
It's only easy if you know the answer!
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

tattoo wrote:i found the same thing happened to me the first time i fueled up so now i do what car drivers do and sit n wait for the left hand side pump..I'm left handed and I sit upright when filling, but I still get the odd splash etc...pay n pump is ok but when your card is copyied like my nephews and mine was last year you'll wish you'd payed cash...altho it is only 20secs to remove your helmet i've never been asked to remove mine when paying at the counter..Some garages like our local jet, never ask us to take the helmet off, but Tesco and the likes have it as company policy..
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tattoo wrote:...altho it is only 20secs to remove your helmet i've never been asked to remove mine when paying at the counter..
i had an issue with morrisons last year where they wouldnt activate & reset the pump until i took my lid off.
they even tannoyed me at the forecourt to remove my helmet or i would not be served.
i was extremely annoyed (which is unusual for me) so i left the pump nozzle on the floor and went somewhere else.
crouton em.

really dont see what the problem is.... as soon as you ride onto the forecourt your number is clocked, which is why very often they will close off a particular pump cos of visibility (at my local garage anyway)
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Be careful with the 'standing-bike-up-and-filling-tank-to-brim'. Has caused me a few stoppages 'till I figured out it screws up the tanks breathing ability. Leave an air gap of not-too-much and you'll be OK. Fill it totally to the top and it create a vacuum situation!!!!!!!!! :eek2
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!