When does it run out of petrol??

General Bike chat
Soapy

When does it run out of petrol??

Post by Soapy »

Could those of you with more experience of the storms tiny fuel tank let me know when am I likely to run out of fuel?
The light seems to come on at 90-92 miles so when do I start pushing?
Just how far have I got to find that elusive garage?
Thanks in advance. :?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

just before it stops, cough cough, bugger 8)
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Del said
cough cough, bugger
Ha! Bin close to that :lol: :lol:
It was going cough, cough and I was going bugger,bugger all the way down the high street. Just made it to the station pumps and it died. 8O Whew 8O .

Soapy why don't you fill up as soon as the red light comes on,look at how many litres it takes to fill the bike up and then you know how many litres were left in the tank. Do some quick maths and depending on your style of riding you will probably work out you can get anywhere from 10 to twenty miles on reserve.
I wouldn't recomemnd pushing it though( no pun intended :wink: ) as soon as the red light comes on start looking for gogo-juice

Pete.l
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

I've yet to do this, but I do intend to soon. It'll be a little bit of trouble, but you'll only have to do it once, and it will be worth it:

Fill up as you normally (most often) would - if that's with the bike on its sidestand (rather than with you sitting on it to level the bike to get more fuel in), then do it like that.

Fill up a small petrol container too, put that on the back with a cargo net, set your trip to zero and then ride as you normally ride (But don't crash, if you normally do...)

Note the mileage at which the RLOD (great term, whoever came up with that) comes on, and keep going till you splutter to a stop. Now note this mileage and REMEMBER IT!

Then tell us all...
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

Mmmm, I guess I was after some forlorn reassurance that things were not as bad as they say......10-20 miles after the light comes on, it probably takes me that long to notice the light has come on!
Ride till I run out of petrol and then report on how far I got after the red light.....what a responsibility.
What if I had a following wind, downhill for ages, good sh*t reducing weight just prior to test, so many variables so little time.
Someone just come up with a figure to make me feel better, just how far has someone gone on one tank of fuel? Lets not include assisted runs like on a trailer, following wind, Tom Thumb rider.......thanks again, Steve.
simon t

Post by simon t »

My light comes on at 12 litres. In theory that leaves another 4 litres, but I assume max 3 litre reserve. This occurs at 85 - 95 miles according to how I've been riding, which is 7-8 miles per litre (32-36 mpg). So at 20 miles over I'd be concerned. Mind you, I bet I could really eke out the consumption at that point. Shame I cant manage it the rest of the time! :twisted:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

When I used to commute, 80 miles each way on motorway, cruising between 80 to 100mph, pendind traffic I used to get 90 to 105 miles before the light came on. I think the most i did with the light on was 22 miles.

Del.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

The problem is
The MPG can change sooo much. When Mine was new-ish (about 5k on the clock) and std. I took a trip to Scotland on it and cruising at a steady 75-80 I could do 120 miles before the little red light reared it's ugly head. At one occation it made it 125miles.
Average riding, inculuding commutting to work I'm lucky to reach 100 miles.
On really cold winter mornings,commuting only, it's been as bad as 80 miles.
So you can see the delema. Your going to have to have a play and see what yours does I'm afraid.

Pete.l
Good Excuse to waste a few tankfulls if you ask me :P
DD

Post by DD »

Ok I'l own up seen as no one else will.....I have run out of fuel not once but twice, in side 6 months :oops: So you want a number here it is...with a 19L tank first time 240km's second time 260km's....lets see an average of 250k's devide 19L.............thats........per liter times by a 16L tank ......convert to bloody miles........or about ....131.25 miles per 16 liter tank....daardar :lol:
cheers Darryl
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

I've reached 265 km and still not had the reserve show, when I filled up I still had 4L left. Needles to say I was extremly happy with that. :lol:
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Hmmm!
Bumper, Are you sure you know what your right wrist is for? :roll:
Pete.l
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

I have only reached this once, I ride the bike everyday to work and have to deal with peek hour traffic, so that probably helps. Other than that my journey to work is all open freeway.
stormysteve

Post by stormysteve »

On two occasions I got 125 miles before the light came on but that was touring in France at around 80mph. The lowest I've seen is 80 miles but that was obviously caning it.Budget on 15-20 miles on reserve but if the light comes on in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere and it's pissing down and it's 30 miles to the next petrol station I bet you make it.
Max

Post by Max »

Call me sad but .........
Filled storm today, rode around a bit like you do, general riding on A and B roads nothing too slow nothing too fast as I'm old and can't cope with speed :roll: . Light came on at 83.9 miles, filled up at same station as at start at 89.5 miles it took 12.8 litres. this gives approx 7 miles per litre and would give a reserve of 28 miles assuming a full 16 litres.
Soapy

Post by Soapy »

Thanks to all those who have contributed to my confusion but especially Max who has done 'exactly what it says on the tin'.
I think I am going to set my practical range on reserve at 20miles and hope I can remeber to check for that tiny red light at the right time.
Just for the record the guy I bought the bike off said his best distance before refuelling was 132 miles and he still had a spoonfull of fuel in the tank.
Despite the fuel issue I am totally converted to a big twin, followed advice on this site and fitted a 2 tooth bigger rear, good clean fun...( go on, someone tell me that's changed my fuel economy!!!!), thanks again, Steve.