Braced swing arm show-and-tell

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I finally got off my backside and did some work on my own ride for a change....

Started off with a Blade brace welded on:

Got it powder-coated after my attempts at polishing were embarrassingly bad, especially once lacquered... :oops:

It went on ok, with the Blade caliper carrier

I played around with the tail plastic/seat angle....

But decided to leave it in the normal place, sprayed metallic graphite.
Not yet wet'n'dry and t cutted, but it's a rare beast- a tail plastic with all of the lugs intact...

Fitted a new DID and sprockets, tried a resprayed Blade caliper but it wouldn't bleed so the old gold one is back on for now. And put on Carbon shark fin sprocket toe protector, and Double Hard rear crash protectors/paddock stand lifters:

And just for added bling, although you can't see it, there's a carbon undertray fitted:

Haven't got the bellypan fitted again yet, so that's still to do, and the only indicators at the back are the integral rear light ones, so I need to find an attractive set that will fit on the rear, preferably below the cans.

Anyway, there we are, more mods.

Last one:
Last edited by tony.mon on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Re: Braced swing arm show-and-tell

Post by Miztaziggy »

Looking good that is

How much was it to powder coat the swing arm? That really does look top notch in black like that

Also, where did you get that clutch cover carbon thing?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

£40, I called them at 10AM and collected it that afternoon at 16.00- can't complain about that, not a truly top quality job but good enough.

And the cover is a Carbonadi one, they advertise on German E-Bay.
You can get various weaves, this one is a Kevlar/Carbon combination with the yellow Kevlar weave showing; I had them make me one up as I wanted something a bit different.

Now every bugger will want one!

Mind you. it'll look daft on a red one....
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looking good buddy, what bellypan have you got (mori looki likee)
also could you p.m. me your paypal please.....
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Jonesey

Post by Jonesey »

Tony, what colour caliper do you need? I have a couple of spares...;)
Unus Dies Gingiber Mos Hereditas Orbis terrarum.
gilson

Post by gilson »

tony.mon wrote:
And the cover is a Carbonadi one, they advertise on German E-Bay.
You can get various weaves, this one is a Kevlar/Carbon combination with the yellow Kevlar weave showing; I had them make me one up as I wanted something a bit different.
These are also great protection in a crash too.

Although I only have the standard carbon covers.

Nice work.
No bike (yet).
CB_Phil

Post by CB_Phil »

Looks class, anythin needed doin to the brace bar chop it off the original swinger? do all the welding yourself? Shed look well w/a hugger on now too 8)
Maybe I Don't Like Your Bike Either!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice job Tony :thumbup:

Now the question is, can you feel the difference out on the road :?:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Got the hugger, Phil, just not fitted yet.

Can't feel any difference, but then I haven't been out on it hardly at all, just up to Brands and back.

Reason?
Those link pipes connected to the high level cans are hit by the brace, and then are pushed outwards when the arm lifts up when compressed. The LH side one then pushes off the lower system, and the can isn't connected by the LH footpeg any more.

Tried putting a little flat in the link pipe so that it cleared, but it needs a little more, as taking my daughter up to meet Shakey Byrne and Kiyo tonight it was pushed off again.

I'll sort it at the weekend, and then give it a proper thrash round.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Reason?
Those link pipes connected to the high level cans are hit by the brace, and then are pushed outwards when the arm lifts up when compressed. The LH side one then pushes off the lower system, and the can isn't connected by the LH footpeg any more.

Tried putting a little flat in the link pipe so that it cleared, but it needs a little more, as taking my daughter up to meet Shakey Byrne and Kiyo tonight it was pushed off again.

I'll sort it at the weekend, and then give it a proper thrash round.
How frustrating. No doubt you'll sort it OK, but something you could have done without I'm sure.

Good luck with getting it sorted.

On 2nd thoughts Tony, you best take it off and post to me (I've PM'd you my address :wink: ) I won't charge you anything for relieving you of all the stress this could cause you otherwise :thumbup: :D

Chris.
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I had the same problem with my braced swinging arm and went back to the normal position for the rear silencers. I really would like to somehow get the high level pipes back on and keep the rear pegs as well. Thinking I am going to just get the bike with the silencers where I want them and then get it to a pipe making place and let them do what they should be good at... I do miss the high level pipes.
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

All sorted.moved the high levels out to the side by about 20mm each side, still looks fine, IMHO, but I needed to file a small clearance off the LH hanger/rear footrest bracket, funny but the RH one was just about ok.

I also hammered slight flats into the downpipes where they went round the brace, and now there's a good 5-10mm clearance throughout the rear wheel travel.

Works two-up, as well.

Have I noticed any improvement in the handling yet?
No, tbh, but it looks a bit better and I no longer heave a bored sigh when I see the boring flat square swingarm.

The Blade carbon hugger went on well, just had to fabricate a small ali bracket to mount it on the RH side, the LH side mountings fitted exactly over the brace holes, which of course they should.
I think it would clear a 190, if I ever felt like fitting one, as well.

But best of all I like the carbon fibre undertray, hard to get and expensive; even though you have to get on your hands and knees to see it it's a thing of beauty.

Oh, and I fitted a tail tidy so that the number plate can be at more of an angle as well as being able to mount two small indicators at the rear once again so that I'm not reliant on the built-in ones in the rear light, nice neat solution but not anywhere near bright enough on their own.
Job jobbed :thumbup:
andyfraser666

Post by andyfraser666 »

Nice looking adaptions, but how did you fit the crash bobbins/swing arm lifters, drill and tap or have you added a socket?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Tony, glad to hear you've got it all sorted now, I knew you would :thumbup:
andyfraser666 wrote:Nice looking adaptions, but how did you fit the crash bobbins/swing arm lifters, drill and tap or have you added a socket?
The search bar near the top will find most things, just to get you started have a look at this link:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ns#p120161

Chris.
Ilson Lad

Post by Ilson Lad »

Your bike looks really good, well done :wink:
It'll all be OK in the end and if its not OK then its not the end